Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

puma guy
Posts in topic: 31

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Post by puma guy »

Had a catfish lunch at the Pasadena Rotary Fish Fry at the rodeo grounds today and since it's adjacent to the Pasadena Convention Center we decided to visit the High Caliber Gun Show being held there this weekend. The last time I attended the venue it was 30.06 posted and they had uniformed LEO's accosting patrons inside. The one that questioned me was not only ignorant of the statutes, but quite arrogant. That's why I haven't been to any shows there for quite some time. Anyway, they still have the signage, but no officers questioning patrons as they entered. I left my CCW and extra mag in the car to avoid any issues like my previous encounter. I didn't see a lot of .22 LR, but what I saw was ridiculously priced. .22 WMR was $29.95/50.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ET-Ret »

I took a person to apply for food stamps in Tarrant County 4/2/2014. There is strange looking 30.06 sign at the door and I do not believe any court or police activites
are going on in the Building. When you go in you are met with a Rental Guard service which said you must be Id to go in the office where they take computer applications
I handed him a chl for ID and he took it without question. I asked him about the sign and found he did not seem to understand what it was or that he cares They are not armed and
could not speak good English. I hope someone can give me some info because my understanding is the sign is not Legal.
Tarrant county has a lot of different office in the general area. 1501 Circle Dr Ft Worth. 76119
Thanks ET-ret

jbarn
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jbarn »

ET-Ret wrote:I took a person to apply for food stamps in Tarrant County 4/2/2014. There is strange looking 30.06 sign at the door and I do not believe any court or police activites
are going on in the Building. When you go in you are met with a Rental Guard service which said you must be Id to go in the office where they take computer applications
I handed him a chl for ID and he took it without question. I asked him about the sign and found he did not seem to understand what it was or that he cares They are not armed and
could not speak good English. I hope someone can give me some info because my understanding is the sign is not Legal.
Tarrant county has a lot of different office in the general area. 1501 Circle Dr Ft Worth. 76119
Thanks ET-ret
There is nothing illegal about an improperly posted 30.06 sign. Can you better describe the "strange looking" 30.06 sign? I have seen some county buildings in different counties where JP courts are located post the 30.06. I assume to warn CHL holders about the JP courts.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

puma guy
Posts in topic: 31

Post by puma guy »

ET-Ret wrote:I took a person to apply for food stamps in Tarrant County 4/2/2014. There is strange looking 30.06 sign at the door and I do not believe any court or police activites
Thanks ET-ret
Looking up the address there are no courts in the location. It's listed as: Health and Human Services State Office Building. There are many State and County offices in myriad building on Circle Drive. The County Sheriff Laundry and a Warehouse are there. As far as I determine they all fall under section (e) of 30.06 It's not illegal to post a 30.06 sign, but technically there would be no legal basis for enforcement. BUT!!!! This theory has yet to be tested in a court as far as I know. IANAL (no legal advice intended)

below copied from Resource Connection of Tarrant County http://www.tarrantcounty.com/tc_resourc ... ourceNav=|

Health & Human Services State Office Building
Texas Health and Human Services Commission 817-321-8000
Department of Assistive Rehabilitative Services (DARS) 817-321-8500
Department of Family Protective Services (DFPS) 817-321-8600
Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs 817-321-8700
Texas Star Program - MAXIMUS 817-321-8024
Texas Commission on Fire Protection 817-531-8600
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

unicyclist
Posts in topic: 14

Post by unicyclist »

puma guy wrote:
Thanks ET-ret
Looking up the address there are no courts in the location. It's listed as: Health and Human Services State Office Building. There are many State and County offices in myriad building on Circle Drive. The County Sheriff Laundry and a Warehouse are there. As far as I determine they all fall under section (e) of 30.06 It's not illegal to post a 30.06 sign, but technically there would be no legal basis for enforcement. BUT!!!! This theory has yet to be tested in a court as far as I know. IANAL (no legal advice intended)

below copied from Resource Connection of Tarrant County http://www.tarrantcounty.com/tc_resourc ... ourceNav=|

Health & Human Services State Office Building
Texas Health and Human Services Commission 817-321-8000
Department of Assistive Rehabilitative Services (DARS) 817-321-8500
Department of Family Protective Services (DFPS) 817-321-8600
Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs 817-321-8700
Texas Star Program - MAXIMUS 817-321-8024
Texas Commission on Fire Protection 817-531-8600
Make a complaint. DO NOT MENTION IT IS LEGAL to post. Mention that it is not legally enforceable, incorrectly posted, and discriminating.

RedRaiderCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Re:

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

JohnWayne wrote:Texas Tech University in Lubbock probably has 30+ 30.06 signs on every road in to and through campus. They probably doubled the number of them in the past 12 months, too.

I called up the General Counsel office a couple months ago to let them know about it. I actually got someone who has a CHL and understood the uselessness of the signs. He said the intent of the University was to keep Billiy Bob from carrying shotguns openly in the gun rack in his pickup - and similar situations.

The GC office sent a letter to the President's office recommending that all of the signs be taken down and replaced with something else saying that guns are not allowed on University property (which isn't true, but at least it's an improvement). I have been playing phone tag with the Chief of Staff for the President's office for the past week to get some answers on this. I am hoping to finally get ahold of him Monday even if I have to sit around all day doing it.

I am sure they will try to feed me some bull, but we will see. I'll keep everyone posted.

It really irritates me that abuse/ignorance like this goes on on such a large scale.

Jeff

I Just graduated from Texas Tech University in Lubbock in May 2014 and the new signs they have entering campus now are something along the lines of "any carrying of unlicensed firearms beyond this point is prohibited"

meaning now you can carry anywhere on TTU campus except inside the buildings. You might know all this already but i figured i would post the update as maybe there are some new incoming students looking for this answer.
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

ralewis
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ralewis »

Went to a Calder Cup Finals Texas Stars game the other day, and the signs certainly are still there.

Not to be argumentative, but who cares if the signs are there? Somebody with a CHL should know that 30.06 doesn't apply to a city owned venue, and the carrying of a concealed handgun is only governed by what's in the statute (sports event, school event like a graduation ceremony, the unlikely event they have an execution scheduled or use it as a jail, etc.).

Regarding signs in general… I used to try to correct 51% signs that are posted improperly at various places in Cedar Park. I called TABC 3 or 4 times for places a few years ago, but now I just check the license type and ignore them if it's a "SIGN = BLUE" place.

unicyclist wrote:
Smily wrote:!
What legal recourse do we have to get the signs taken down?

Says its owned by the city.
Virtually none.

If you read over my prior posts, you can see I have had pretty good success though.

Long story short, call the management office. Play stupid/polite. Do not mention the CHL outright, but ask if it is owned by the city.
(simplified) Once they say it is, tell them that according to the Texas Penal Code that is stated on the sign that they posted, a government entity can not post that sign.
Chances are you will be transferred to their attorney, where you quote PC 30.06, he says he will check it and get back to you. Chances are he won't if you don't keep on top of it.

I keep detailed records of all phone calls, to include date, time, and who I spoke with. I downloaded an app that lets me record phone calls. Using the phone log, I call them every 2 weeks to see if they have an update.

If worse comes to worse, you say accuse them of purposefully intimidating lawful gun owners and misleading the unknowing CHL (which is all true, just try to avoid attack wording until they say they are not going to remove it).

If that fails, message each person on the board or council that supervises that organization.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 38

Re: Re:

Post by JKTex »

RedRaiderCHL wrote:I Just graduated from Texas Tech University in Lubbock in May 2014 and the new signs they have entering campus now are something along the lines of "any carrying of unlicensed firearms beyond this point is prohibited"

meaning now you can carry anywhere on TTU campus except inside the buildings. You might know all this already but i figured i would post the update as maybe there are some new incoming students looking for this answer.
Those signs don't mean anything other than they are a reminder of State law.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 9

Post by cb1000rider »

ralewis wrote: Regarding signs in general… I used to try to correct 51% signs that are posted improperly at various places in Cedar Park. I called TABC 3 or 4 times for places a few years ago, but now I just check the license type and ignore them if it's a "SIGN = BLUE" place.
For me, it's indicative of a jurisdiction that probably knows better and doesn't care.. Or at least has a specific agenda.
I don't think LEOs in such jurisdiction face too much trouble if they make an "uneducated" arrest...

dicion
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Re:

Post by dicion »

JKTex wrote:
RedRaiderCHL wrote:I Just graduated from Texas Tech University in Lubbock in May 2014 and the new signs they have entering campus now are something along the lines of "any carrying of unlicensed firearms beyond this point is prohibited"

Those signs don't mean anything other than they are a reminder of State law.
Looks to me like they messed up the word order as well, didn't know we had to license firearms in Texas :smilelol5:

Should be "any unlicensed carrying of firearms..."

RedRaiderCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

well since i got my Chl i have been noticing incorrect 51% signs more so than 30.06 ones because i work in the beer industry. Ive noticed that in lubbock the Buffalo Wild Wings on 19th street has a 51% sign that is on the door inside the building going into the bar which is completely inconspicuously placed as well as the fact that it shouldn't be up. i talked to a low level manager and he told me they are 64% food sales in the whole establishment (including the bar), and since BWWs bar section is not a separate establishment from the restaurant side it shouldn't be up. Even if the 51% rule did apply to the whole establishment the sign should be on the front entrance everyone uses to enter the building.

Im guessing it was there from the previous establishment and nobody took it down or that someone slapped it up on that door to discourage legal carrying.

Ive also noticed that at Cujos Sports bar in lubbock off 4th and Frankford their 51% sign is like 10 or 11 feet off the ground in the entry way and it should be moved down. Frankly im 6'5'' and i barely noticed it. if i wasn't looking for it i wouldn't have.

i feel bar owners should be more aware of things like this.
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MeMelYup »

RedRaiderCHL wrote:well since i got my Chl i have been noticing incorrect 51% signs more so than 30.06 ones because i work in the beer industry. Ive noticed that in lubbock the Buffalo Wild Wings on 19th street has a 51% sign that is on the door inside the building going into the bar which is completely inconspicuously placed as well as the fact that it shouldn't be up. i talked to a low level manager and he told me they are 64% food sales in the whole establishment (including the bar), and since BWWs bar section is not a separate establishment from the restaurant side it shouldn't be up. Even if the 51% rule did apply to the whole establishment the sign should be on the front entrance everyone uses to enter the building.

Im guessing it was there from the previous establishment and nobody took it down or that someone slapped it up on that door to discourage legal carrying.

Ive also noticed that at Cujos Sports bar in lubbock off 4th and Frankford their 51% sign is like 10 or 11 feet off the ground in the entry way and it should be moved down. Frankly im 6'5'' and i barely noticed it. if i wasn't looking for it i wouldn't have.

i feel bar owners should be more aware of things like this.
Here is where you might want to correspond with. http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/enforcement ... cation.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

With regard to 51% establishments, the signage is inconsequential. It's the TABC designation that matters. There are bigger windmills to fight.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

victory
Posts in topic: 1

Post by victory »

TexasCajun wrote: There are bigger windmills to fight.
There are big wind turbines in West Texas. They are not an oil or gas lease but might be a critical infrastructure facility.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”