Texas State Fair 2008

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NguyenVanDon
Posts in topic: 1

Texas State Fair 2008

Post by NguyenVanDon »

I did a search and didn't find any subjects on this.

Well as ya'll know, Texas State Fair 2008 is coming around the corner. Are we allowed to carry? Is the process is the same as last year? CHL/LEO, are you working at the State Fair? If so, please give us some updates with the current procedure.

Thanks! :txflag: :patriot: :fire
TX CHL: 2/24/07 - Present

BigTex

Re: Texas State Fair 2008

Post by BigTex »

Yes, you can carry with a valid CHL. Just inform whoever is running the entrance to the fair. They will then get a supervisor who will take a look at your license and allow you in armed. They normally pull you to the side through an entrance without a metal detector.

:tiphat:

rider

Post by rider »

Thanks.. BigTex!

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

So, how do you manage that little maneuver without the rest of your party noticing? I have a friend who is not keen on handguns, and he certainly isn't aware that I carry one. I'd like to keep it that way.
NRA lifetime member

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Have your friend(s) meet you at the fair. Arrive early enough to get through security.
NRA Benefactor Member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Not really an option... we usually ride over with them from their apartment in Plano.
NRA lifetime member

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

KC5AV wrote:Not really an option... we usually ride over with them from their apartment in Plano.
Just tell him that you don’t have a clue why they pulled you to the side. They must be paranoid about something. Or tell you friend that you looked like someone that matched a description they have been looking for so they had to do a more though search. Let him know that you just barely got out of getting a full body search. "rlol"
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

zach

Post by zach »

This probably deserves its own thread, but does anyone know about the upcoming Austin City Limits Music Festival? It doesn't say anything about carrying on the website or pamphlets. I'd like to think it was the same process...

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Direct from the TX State Fair website FAQ

May I bring...

...a gun? No, with one exception.
A person holding a valid concealed handgun license is permitted to enter onto State Fair property with his/her concealed handgun. Licenses will be examined at the entrance by an authorized security supervisor. Handguns will not be permitted inside the Cotton Bowl, a facility defined under Texas Penal Code 46.035 as "the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place." We want the Fair to be a fun and safe experience.

http://www.bigtex.com/generalinfo/faqs/bring.asp

:thumbs2: :thewave

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

zach wrote:This probably deserves its own thread, but does anyone know about the upcoming Austin City Limits Music Festival? It doesn't say anything about carrying on the website or pamphlets. I'd like to think it was the same process...
From the website:

http://www.aclfestival.com/alloweditems.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The following items are prohibited:

Weapons of any kind
( . . . )

This festival takes place in Zilker Park, which is a municipal park owned by the City of Austin:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/zilker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Therefore, the restriction is invalid for CHLs. (It's actually invalid for everyone, but non-CHLs would already be breaking the law under most circumstances.)

The problem might be persuading those at the gate, and APD, of this fact. The State Fair has learned their lesson about this, but I don't know if anyone has educated ACL.

barres

Post by barres »

KC5AV wrote:So, how do you manage that little maneuver without the rest of your party noticing? I have a friend who is not keen on handguns, and he certainly isn't aware that I carry one. I'd like to keep it that way.
When you get part of the way from your vehicle to the gate "remember something you left in your car." Tell the rest of your party to go on ahead and you'll meet them inside the gates.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

NguyenVanDon wrote:I did a search and didn't find any subjects on this.

Well as ya'll know, Texas State Fair 2008 is coming around the corner. Are we allowed to carry? Is the process is the same as last year? CHL/LEO, are you working at the State Fair? If so, please give us some updates with the current procedure.

Thanks! :txflag: :patriot: :fire
Yep - I'll be there. CHL holders will have no problems getting in. If you do just ask one of the "gate keepers" to have one of the police officers that are stationed at each entrance to come over. Have fun and be safe.

WARNING!! - Friday, October 10th is high school night (AKA "gang night") at the Fair. This is also the night of the Texas/OU Rally and every year we find lots of people come up to Dallas that weekend and visit the State Fair.

My advice is DO NOT VISIT THE FAIR THAT FRIDAY NIGHT.

If you do have to visit the fair that day please plan on leaving before 5 PM. This is our worst day by far for criminal elements and activities. The already substantial police presence at the fair will nearly quadruple that evening. It gets so bad that we usually end up closing the fairgrounds early and forcing everyone out.

I would never allow any of my family members to attend on this day and since we're all part of the CHL family I'm giving you the same notice. Do enjoy the State Fair but just visit us on another day if at all possible.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

smokindragon

Post by smokindragon »

Thank you for that GREAT information. I don't go very much, but with my luck, not knowing that I would have went that night with my family..
"WARNING: Driver only carries $20 Dollars worth of ammunition"

Springfield XD.40 subcompact
Remington 597 .22

NAA .22 Long Rifle Mini-Revolver w/holster grip

Clint- Fort Worth
Tx-CHL Holder

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Last year we caved in and took the kids to the fair. I holstered up and off we went. As luck would have it, the Texas/OU game was that night. Suprisingly, it was pretty calm, even after the game let out. The DPD Gang Unit was on site but everyone was friendly and we had a great time. Had I known, we would have avoided it simply because of the possibility of an "incident". Thanks for the heads up on the 10th.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

SCone

Post by SCone »

Would the FFA kids showing their animals be a "high school" activity? It ain't football, but it could be an event? Any thoughts?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”