Renewals?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
racer32
Posts in topic: 2

Renewals?

Post by racer32 »

Sorry if this has been discussed before-tried to search, but didn't find an answer. My CHL expires in August 2009. How early can I take the class?

seamusTX

Re: Renewals?

Post by seamusTX »

Six months before the expiration date.

If you've been following the discussion of how long applications and renewals are taking, you might want to consider getting a non-resident license from another state, in case your Texas CHL expires before you get the new plastic.

- Jim

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The training certificate (TR-100) is good for six months. This means you must file your renewal application within six months of taking the renewal course. You should be getting a renewal notice in February, six months before your license expires. My suggestion is take the class early and reapply early.

Chas.

Edited: Oops, Jim beat me to it.

Topic author
racer32

Post by racer32 »

Thanks guys, I was wondering if I could take the class and/or send my paperwork early to avoid any lapse. Will the state's renewal notice include the paperwork?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

racer32 wrote:Thanks guys, I was wondering if I could take the class and/or send my paperwork early to avoid any lapse. Will the state's renewal notice include the paperwork?
No, it will be a white envelope with a letter telling you to renew online. Be careful, it's easy to think it's junk mail.

Chas.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

If you try to renew online before you are "eligible" the DPS web site will not let you. You are eligible to renew 180 days before your CHL expires. I found this out personally.

I took the renewal class a week or two before I was eligible to renew, applied online for the "package" exactly 180 days before my expiration date, received the package promptly and sent it in with the class paperwork immediately. My new CHL came in 60 days.

There is a checklist here on the Forum that is superb for making sure you send exactly what you need to send.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

You were lucky. The determining factor is the date on the TR-100 form, not the date that you submit your application.

- Jim

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Maybe they decided not to trip me up for taking the class 189 days before expiration instead of 180 days.

The instructor was certain it would be ok, and he was right.

Who knows? I'll take "lucky" and be grateful.

Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

racer32 wrote:Thanks guys, I was wondering if I could take the class and/or send my paperwork early to avoid any lapse. Will the state's renewal notice include the paperwork?
You can actually take the class almost 1 year before your expiration. The TR-100 (class completion certificate) is good for 6 months. And you can do your online renewal application 6 months before your birthday. So, you take the class just about 11 months before your expiration. Then, as soon as you are eligible to renew online, you do your online application. DPS sends you the packet in about 2 weeks, and you just add your classroom paperwork and send it right back.

There ya go.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”