Carjack Scenario

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Carjack Scenario

Post by WildBill »

Let's say that you drove to a place that was posted 30.06, so you disarmed yourself in the parking lot and put your handgun in the trunk of your car. After you returned from the posted building, a guy stops you and says "give me your car keys."

You trick the guy by telling him that you have a heart condition and would like to get some expensive medication from the trunk of your car. He agrees to let you open the trunk. When you do, you retrieve your handgun and shoot him.

Is this a justified shooting?
NRA Endowment Member

boomerang

Re: Carjack Scenario

Post by boomerang »

If he's threatening you with deadly force then I think it's justified.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Instead of tricking him, you should have just run into the 30.06 place immediately unless you really have a heart condition.

Not justified as no deadly force is shown.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Furyataurus

Post by Furyataurus »

IMO, it would be justified only if its during the nighttime. Look up Sec. 9.42 in the penal code.

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

WildBill wrote:After you returned from the posted building, a guy stops you and says "give me your car keys."
So what's the crime? I'd tell him no and keep walking.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mcoupe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mcoupe »

It would be scary to think that a "smart" car jacker would make sure to victimize people coming out of a 30.06 place.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

A criminal is not going to care if you have expensive heart medication and want to get to it before they steal your vehicle...

I wouldn't wait for you if I was a bad guy...I want to get out of there with your vehicle as quickly as I can...And nothing, no excuses or explanations are going to make me pause and become human again just to be nice...

Just my opinion...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

stevie_d_64 wrote:A criminal is not going to care if you have expensive heart medication and want to get to it before they steal your vehicle...
Considering the number of times they take cars without letting parents get the little kids out, I have to agree that this is most probable.

As a general rule, I always advise carrying some other self-protective device besides your pistol, for just this type of scenario. Pull a knife or CS, which you could legally carry into the 30.06 posted location and fight back that way.

Another point is to never, ever, leave the scene of the first crime. Do NOT go with the bad guy anywhere. It will usually just result in a second crime scene (say he decides to kidnap you at the same time when you are close to the car).
Steve Rothstein

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Just go into the 30.06-posted place. You will be safe there, it is gun-free.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

:iagree: i mean thats why they have those signs...it keeps the guns out :mad5

Bart

Post by Bart »

WildBill wrote:Let's say that you drove to a place that was posted 30.06, so you disarmed yourself in the parking lot and put your handgun in the trunk of your car.
I'm more likely to win the lottery.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Mcoupe

Post by Mcoupe »

Purplehood wrote:Just go into the 30.06-posted place. You will be safe there, it is gun-free.
Or take the 30.06 sign, roll it up tightly and use it as a weapon?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Why are you putting your gun in the trunk?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

To answer your question...if he isn't armed, throw the car keys and run like all get out. If he is holding a pistol on you...stick your finger in the barrel and dare him to shoot. :clapping:

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

03Lightningrocks wrote:If he is holding a pistol on you...stick your finger in the barrel and dare him to shoot. :clapping:
Ok, this might be a really stupid question, but this isn't the first time I've been told to do this whole "finger in pistol" thing.

Is that an inside joke or does it really help the situation? It just seems like a bad idea to me and my finger, but if for some reason it's a good idea, I'd love to hear why.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”