Abilene: Any place to store my gun?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Abilene: Any place to store my gun?

Post by stevie_d_64 »

propellerhead wrote:Update:

I just called Dyess AFB. The public affairs office transferred me to the Security Forces desk who told me all I have to do is tell the guard at the front gate that I have a personal weapon and need to check it into the Armory. I would then go directly to the armory and sign it in. When I go sign it back out, I have to go directly out the gate from there. The Armory told me they are manned 24 hrs a day and I can sign in/out my handgun at any time. They advised calling ahead of time to make sure they are not at lunch or downrange or otherwise busy.

Dyess AFB
Public Affairs Office: 325-696-2863
Security Forces: 325-696-2131
Base Armory: 325-696-2728
Outstanding!

Sad part is not all military facilities are that accomodating...

Have a great trip!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

propellerhead wrote:Update:

I just called Dyess AFB. The public affairs office transferred me to the Security Forces desk who told me all I have to do is tell the guard at the front gate that I have a personal weapon and need to check it into the Armory. I would then go directly to the armory and sign it in. When I go sign it back out, I have to go directly out the gate from there. The Armory told me they are manned 24 hrs a day and I can sign in/out my handgun at any time. They advised calling ahead of time to make sure they are not at lunch or downrange or otherwise busy.

Dyess AFB
Public Affairs Office: 325-696-2863
Security Forces: 325-696-2131
Base Armory: 325-696-2728
That's helpful information. Thanks.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
propellerhead
Posts in topic: 7

Post by propellerhead »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Sad part is not all military facilities are that accomodating...
I had to meet a friend at NAS Fort Worth JRB (aka Carswell AFB) in west Fort Worth yesterday. While I was there, I asked the guard at the gate about personal handguns. He said there's a zero tolerance policy at Carswell. He added the WestWorth Police station will let you check your weapon in with them before going to Carswell.

Crosstimbers Okie

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

Yippie! Here we go!

I've been doing a little more research on this subject.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

PC w6.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
holder carries a handgun on or about the license holdets person
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority
of Subchapter H. Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of
whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's
person:
(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued
under Chapter 25,28,32,69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if
the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or
service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section
104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional
sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless
the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used
in the event;

(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;

(4) on the premises of a,hospital licensed under Chapter 241.
Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed
under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license
holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home
administration, as appropriate;
(5) in an amusement park; or
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established
place of religious worship.
(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority
of Subchapter H. Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of
,whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental
entity.
(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the
license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H,
Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is
concealed.
(e) A license holder who is licensed as a security officer under
Chapter 1702. Occupations Code, and employed as a security officer
commits an offense if, while in the course and scope of the security
officer's employment, the security officer violates a provision of
Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(9 In this section:

(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor
facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the
public that is located in a county with a population of more than one
million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed
with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more
than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the
premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private
driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or
other parking area.
(2) "License holder means a person licensed to carry a handgun
under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The
term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk
or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
So, as we can see, persons with concealed carry permits can legally carry a handgun in TDCJ parking lots, parking garages, walkways and sidewalks.

Here the administrative code explains the proper procedures for addressing TDCJ's legitimate concerns regarding the security of its prisons without depriving citizens and employees of their legitimate concerns of being able to travel to and from TDCJ prisons and still have the ability to legally defend themselves from criminal attack.

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... =151&rl=21

Texas Administrative Code

TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 6 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE
CHAPTER 151 GENERAL PROVISIONS
RULE §151.21 Weapons Policy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) Policy.

(1) The Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ or Agency) requires that all persons carrying a firearm shall unload and safely secure the firearm prior to entering a TDCJ correctional facility. For purposes of visiting a TDCJ correctional facility, a peace officer, a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Texas Government Code, or a person who is otherwise authorized to carry a deadly weapon shall unload and secure the weapon(s) in the locked trunk of a vehicle, or a locked compartment of a vehicle if the vehicle does not have a trunk, immediately upon parking or while stopped at the first security checkpoint, whichever occurs first. A peace officer may also store a weapon in any other TDCJ authorized location prior to entering the perimeter fence.

Now, I've heard from several sources that many TDCJ unit administrators are prohibiting persons who are legally entitled to store a handgun in their vehicle while working in or visiting certain TDCJ units. Thos administrators are committing a crime under Texas law.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... ightType=1
Sec. 39.03. OFFICIAL OPPRESSION. (a) A public servant acting under color of his office or employment commits an offense if he:

(1) intentionally subjects another to mistreatment or to arrest, detention, search, seizure, dispossession, assessment, or lien that he knows is unlawful;

(2) intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power, or immunity, knowing his conduct is unlawful; or

(3) intentionally subjects another to sexual harassment.

(b) For purposes of this section, a public servant acts under color of his office or employment if he acts or purports to act in an official capacity or takes advantage of such actual or purported capacity.

(c) In this section, "sexual harassment" means unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, submission to which is made a term or condition of a person's exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power, or immunity, either explicitly or implicitly.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 1217, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989; Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 16, Sec. 19.01(34), eff. Aug. 26, 1991. Renumbered from Penal Code Sec. 39.02 by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
The way to cope with this is to place the official on notice by providing them with the above statutes. Then if they persist, the next step is to go to the courthouse and find out when the grand jury next meets. Return when it meets and sit in the court room and wait for the grand jury to finish its business for the day then approach the garnd jury and state that you have business with the grand jury--that you have evidence of a criminal act to present to it. No one can legally deny you access to a grand jury. Then present a notarized criminal complaint and notarized statement of facts including the above statutes to the grand jury. Examples of these are easy to find.

The reason one must approach the grand jury is because, if one reports the crime to a law officer, he will present it to the prosecutor who will throw it in the trash. If one presents it to the prosecutor, he will throw it in the trash. If one presents it to a judge or magistrate, he will give it to the prosecutor who will throw it in the trash. The grand jury is composed of citizens. The grand jury is not controlled by the judge, the prosecutor, or anyone else. And even if the grand jury decides not to issue an indictment on this crime, there is always next time and another grand jury. More importantly, the warden of the offending TDCJ unit will be put on notice that he can be prosecuted and likely will be prosecuted if he continues to violate the law.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Crosstimbers Okie wrote: The reason one must approach the grand jury is because, if one reports the crime to a law officer, he will present it to the prosecutor who will throw it in the trash. If one presents it to the prosecutor, he will throw it in the trash. If one presents it to a judge or magistrate, he will give it to the prosecutor who will throw it in the trash. The grand jury is composed of citizens. The grand jury is not controlled by the judge, the prosecutor, or anyone else. And even if the grand jury decides not to issue an indictment on this crime, there is always next time and another grand jury. More importantly, the warden of the offending TDCJ unit will be put on notice that he can be prosecuted and likely will be prosecuted if he continues to violate the law.
The Grand jury is controlled by the Prosecutor. It is up to the prosecutor who gets to be heard, and who is not allowed to get heard. The defendant doesn't have any right to be present, or heard in a grand jury proceding. Indictmens are sometimes made in total secret. Generally speaking if the prosecutor wants an indictment he will get one, even if it takes a few tries.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Crosstimbers Okie

The Grand jury is controlled by the Prosecutor. It is up to the prosecutor who gets to be heard, and who is not allowed to get heard.
It may work that way in practice in a lot of places, but only because often the prosecutor is the only one who routinely presents information to the grand jury. That does not mean that any citizen cannot present information to the grand jury. It's a fundamental right. And if the prosecutor is the one whom the information pertains to, I guarantee you that he had better not stand in the way or else the feds will want to know why.

Grand juries present their indictments to a judge, in the judge's courtroom. I guarantee you that the prosecutor is not the one in charge of that courtroom.

Crosstimbers Okie

From The Backgate:

http://backgate08.proboards61.com/index ... age=1#6166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Each Unit is required to have every policy, procedure, PD, AD, BD on hand to be viewed by any person requesting information.

All you have to do is simply ask HR, or your Unit Warden on the current policies.

FYI!!!!!

Due to the recently passed " Castle Law " ( meaning your vehicle is now an extension of your home ) you are entitled to carry a weapon in your car. Yes, this even means into the parking lot of TDCJ. However, because this is state property, you may NOT have the weapon in the car without the knowledge and written consent of the Unit Warden.

Here is what is required to keep your crime deterrent in your vehicle:

1- Written consent from the Unit Warden ( which is usually granted, as their is a written statue for reasons of denial - which everyone in TDCJ passes since we are all required to be able to use and carry weapons ).

2- A trigger lock to go onto the weapon, and then for that weapon to be stored into a lock box, and the lock box being secure ( Like a glove compartment, or a trunk ).

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Sorry I did not see this before now, but if you are still coming to Abilene to visit Dyess and need a place to store your weapon, you can always drop by my house and I'll put it in the gun locker here.

If you are coming from Fort Worth via I-20, you are coming right by my house, I am only a half mile off I-20 on the exit for Highway 351 to Albany. We live in a new housing development that only has two blocks in it so far, we live on one, our son (an Abilene Police Officer) lives on the other.

I'm retired, so usually around. If you need anything else, PM me and I'll reply with phone numbers for the house and my cell.

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

That trip didn't happen but thanks for the offer. You are very kind to make such an offer to a stranger. If I visit Abilene and Dyess AFB in the future, I might look you up, even just to bull for a few.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

How about calling the base and ask them if you can declare it and take it to the SP station? When I was in, that's where we had to store our personal firearms.

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I did. It's a few posts back.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”