Abilene: Any place to store my gun?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
propellerhead
Posts in topic: 7

Abilene: Any place to store my gun?

Post by propellerhead »

I'm visiting Abilene next month and will stop by Dyess AFB. Being federal property, I can't take my carry piece with me on base. Is there a place to store my gun temporarily?

Luggo1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Abilene: Any place to store my gun?

Post by Luggo1 »

I occasionally have to travel around the state and go into TDC units...I faced the same problem. At times I have had to rent a cheap motel room, lock the gun up, lock the case to a piece of furniture etc... basically do the best I can, go to the prison and then go back and retrieve the weapon.

The degree of vehicle search varies from unit to unit, but it is a chance I am not willing to take.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

Bus station locker? Many hotels have safes in the room, or available to customers.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Many gun stores (the small, single-owner ones) or gunsmiths will keep a firearm in situations like this. You just have to hit the phone directory and call around.

If you leave it and pick it up the same day, no paperwork is required. If you leave it overnight, you have to fill out a form 4473 to get it back.

I would steer clear of public lockers. Often more than one person has a master key.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

seamusTX wrote:Many gun stores (the small, single-owner ones) or gunsmiths will keep a firearm in situations like this. You just have to hit the phone directory and call around.

If you leave it and pick it up the same day, no paperwork is required. If you leave it overnight, you have to fill out a form 4473 to get it back.

I would steer clear of public lockers. Often more than one person has a master key.

- Jim

:iagree:

you could do a mapquest or smart pages search for gun stores close to the base, give them a call before you leave on your trip and see if they can help you out.
Steve

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

propellerhead wrote:I'm visiting Abilene next month and will stop by Dyess AFB. Being federal property, I can't take my carry piece with me on base. Is there a place to store my gun temporarily?
Sent PM
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do some digging.

Hi Plainsman

Post by Hi Plainsman »

just throwing this out there, but would a local law enforcement agency store a weapon for you?

I'm just not sure I could trust a gun shop I know absolutely nothing about.

asleepatthereel

Post by asleepatthereel »

Luggo1 wrote:I occasionally have to travel around the state and go into TDC units...I faced the same problem. At times I have had to rent a cheap motel room, lock the gun up, lock the case to a piece of furniture etc... basically do the best I can, go to the prison and then go back and retrieve the weapon.

The degree of vehicle search varies from unit to unit, but it is a chance I am not willing to take.
I had the unfortunate experience of working for TDC for 14 years, and quit in 2000. Up until that time, you could take your weapon to one of the pickets (the towers that surround the perimeter) and they would keep your firearm secured there for you. Mostly LEOs did this, but occasionally when someone was hunting on state land, and needed to enter the unit to sign the forms, the weapons were secured there. One of the pickets was the designated armory. The next time you need to go, give the unit a call and ask the warden if you can store it.

As for Proppelerhead, I would rent a room at a motel with a safe, and secure it there.
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

Crosstimbers Okie

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

Luggo1 wrote:I occasionally have to travel around the state and go into TDC units...I faced the same problem. At times I have had to rent a cheap motel room, lock the gun up, lock the case to a piece of furniture etc... basically do the best I can, go to the prison and then go back and retrieve the weapon.

Why??

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... =151&rl=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas Administrative Code

TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 6 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE
CHAPTER 151 GENERAL PROVISIONS
RULE §151.21 Weapons Policy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) Policy.

(1) The Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) requires that all persons carrying a firearm shall unload and safely secure the firearm prior to entering a TDCJ correctional facility. For purposes of visiting a TDCJ correctional facility, a peace officer, a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, or a person who is otherwise authorized to carry a deadly weapon shall unload and secure the weapon(s) in the locked trunk of a vehicle, or a locked compartment of a vehicle if the vehicle does not have a trunk, immediately upon parking or while stopped at the first security checkpoint, whichever occurs first. A peace officer may also store his weapon in any other TDCJ authorized location prior to entering the perimeter fence.

(2) It is a felony under the Penal Code:

(A) to possess a deadly weapon while in a correctional facility, unless the person possessing the deadly weapon is a peace officer or is an officer or employee of the correctional facility authorized to possess the deadly weapon while on duty or traveling to or from the person's place of assignment;

(B) to provide a deadly weapon to an inmate of a correctional facility;

(C) to possess or go with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or other prohibited weapon, within 1,000 feet of premises the location of which is designated by TDCJ as a place of execution under Article 43.19, Code of Criminal Procedure, on a day that a sentence of death is set to be imposed on the designated premises and the person received notice that:

(i) going within 1,000 feet of the premises with a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited; or

(ii) possessing a weapon listed under this subsection within 1,000 feet of the premises was prohibited; or

(D) for a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 441, Government Code to carry a handgun on the premises of a correctional facility, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.

(3) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section an employee of TDCJ is prohibited from carrying a firearm in a state-owned vehicle, or on his person, or in his personal vehicle while on duty. An employee who is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code is subject to the statutes described in subsection (a)(2) of this section and:

(A) is prohibited from carrying the handgun in a state-owned vehicle, or on his person or in his personal vehicle while on duty;

(B) shall comply with paragraph (1) of this subsection when approaching a correctional facility; and

(C) shall ensure that the gun is secured in the locked trunk of a personal vehicle, or a locked compartment if the vehicle does not have a trunk, before exiting the vehicle to enter any TDCJ office space.

(b) Definitions. The following words and terms, when used in this section, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.

(1) Correctional Facility--A confinement facility operated by or under contract with TDCJ, and a community corrections facility operated by a community supervision and corrections department. The premises of a correctional facility means a building or portion of a building.

(2) Deadly weapon--A firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury, or anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

(3) Exempt employee--An employee in the position of warden, assistant warden, or an administrative position eligible for custodial officer certification and hazardous duty pay under §151.51(d)(1)(D) of this title (relating to Custodial Officer Certification and Hazardous Duty Pay Guidelines).

(4) Firearm--Any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use.

(5) Handgun--Any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

(c) Exceptions.

(1) An exempt employee may carry a firearm in a State-owned vehicle for purposes of responding to emergency situations involving inmates or confinees, or on his person in the event of an actual emergency situation.

(2) State-owned housing, other than Bachelor Officers' Quarters, is excepted from this rule, only to the extent that weapons are secured under lock and key within the house.

(3) An employee may carry a weapon(s) on duty if the employee is a peace officer in the Office of Inspector General or possesses the weapon(s) in accordance with:

(A) the Use of Force Plan;

(B) Parole Division policy authorizing certain parole officers to carry firearms under Occupations Code §1701.257; or

(C) other applicable agency policy.

(4) The written consent of the executive director or his designee to an employee is effective to create an exception from this rule.

(d) Duties of the Executive Director.

(1) The executive director shall ensure that agency policies are consistent with this rule. Policies adopted to ensure the safety and security of correctional facilities may be more restrictive than this rule and may encompass weapons not covered by this rule.

(2) The executive director shall ensure that signs are posted in English and Spanish to provide adequate notice of the substance of this section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Note: The provisions of this §151.21 adopted to be effective April 8, 1996, 21 TexReg 2476; amended to be effective February 5, 2004, 29 TexReg 1212

Luggo1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Luggo1 »

[quote] Why??

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... =151&rl=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[quote]

Because of the way the prisons are set up. I understand your point, but it creates a practical problem for me with the pickets. I may call the warden as suggested above and try to work something out with him, I hadn't even considered that as an option. Some units have very very nice wardens and staff, others not so much. The particular unit I have to deal with the most has pickets that you have to deal with before you get to a parking area. I have never wanted to answer the "Do you have any weapons?" question "yes" because that creates a lot of hassle. However, if I can get clearance from a warden, I may do just that. He would be available to handle the inevitable problem with the pickets. On the days I go to this unit, I absolutely cannot afford to be refused admittance (justly or unjustly) and it is generally on days when the unit is wound very tight from a security standpoint.

Crosstimbers Okie

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

Well, too bad. The law is the law regardless of who likes it. It should take about one incident to correct the situation.

Have you notified the Texas NRA affiliate of the situation?

justaguy

Post by justaguy »

What about contacting the base ahead of time and inquire about base security holding the weapon in their armory for you while you are on the base?
I've lived on several Navy/CG/ANG bases, and there was never any issue with me bringing my weapons on/off the base as long as they were cased/unloaded, and registered with base security.
Aug 11 - CHL Class
Aug 15 - DPS Rcvd
Oct - Rcvd "Ike" Letter
Dec - Emailed Gov. Rcvd generic reply
1/6 - Emailed Sen Whitmire
1/9 - Emailed Rep Dutton
1/9 - Rcvd reply from Sen Whitmire's office.
1/23 - Application Complete - License Active

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

justaguy wrote:What about contacting the base ahead of time and inquire about base security holding the weapon in their armory for you while you are on the base?
I've lived on several Navy/CG/ANG bases, and there was never any issue with me bringing my weapons on/off the base as long as they were cased/unloaded, and registered with base security.
I plan on calling tomorrow or on Friday. When I was stationed there, they used to open the gun range to base personnel to shoot their own guns.

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Update:

I just called Dyess AFB. The public affairs office transferred me to the Security Forces desk who told me all I have to do is tell the guard at the front gate that I have a personal weapon and need to check it into the Armory. I would then go directly to the armory and sign it in. When I go sign it back out, I have to go directly out the gate from there. The Armory told me they are manned 24 hrs a day and I can sign in/out my handgun at any time. They advised calling ahead of time to make sure they are not at lunch or downrange or otherwise busy.

Dyess AFB
Public Affairs Office: 325-696-2863
Security Forces: 325-696-2131
Base Armory: 325-696-2728

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”