Car Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Photoman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Photoman »

I recently purchase one of the "center of mass" style units at Sportman's Warehouse. Works great. Think it was $30 or so.

revjen45

Post by revjen45 »

I put the gun in the door pocket behind some maps, and don't leave it in the car/truck while I'm gone.
Better to perish in struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Venus Pax »

I either put my gun on my passenger seat or in my glove box.
If its on my passenger seat, I cover it with a towel or a jacket.
I now keep a towel in my car. Although it's primarily for covering my gun, I have found it helpful in drying off after being caught in the rain or for getting mud off my shoes.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Lots of us keep a towel to cover stuff with but be careful about having your gun on the seat covered. You are only one sudden stop from it being in the floor uncovered. :oops: :oops: That is worse than Air Marshalls or wore out cell phone cases. :shock:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbirds1210 »

the July/August issue of American Handgunner has an advertisement for a Universal Holster Mount. It looks like quality stuff if this is the style you want.

http://www.sshmi.com

Take care,
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

What good is it when you're licensed to carry and you lock your gun up in a safe under the seat? It's the same as saying: "... please wait to rob me or carjack me while I take the time to 1) unlock my gun safe to retreive my weapon and 2) unlock the ammo to put into said weapon 3) load magazine with ammo retrieved in step 2 for gun retrieved in step 1 and finally 4) you can then allow the perp to continue with his devilish plans after you have loaded and racked your weapon."

I ask you... What good is that gun when your door suddenly gets yanked open and a huge person with a club (or knife or a gun) pulls you out of your vehicle--carjacking you? Where's your gun? Now it's in the car with him and you're on the side of the road, bleading, dying or dead.

Like a woman who's packin' and she puts her gun in her purse. First thing that's stolen? Her purse, along with her credit cards, her drivers license, her chl (hopefully she had a chl), and her gun. Now the perp not only has all of her personal info including her address, but he has her weapon as well. Nothing like being robbed, raped and then shot and killed with your own weapon.

If you've got your CHL, carry the weapon on your person at all times so that IT remains under YOUR control, and it doesn't come under the control of someone else. Carry it on you so that you can use it for the reason that you got the gun in the first place... self defense, or for the defense of others. Don't lay the weapon in the seat, under the seat or in the glove box. If your weapon's too big to carry on your person, then get a smaller one that is more convient to carry.

I'd rather not carry at all then give the 'bad guys' a chance to grab my weapon.

At home, I've got the advantage, I can run to my weapon that's always loaded, cocked and locked. In the car, however, it's on my person and the car wash attendant who does the vacuuming doesn't have the chance to 'keep' it, or the mechanic, or the tire guy who's fixin' your flat who finds your weapon in the trunk under the spare tire... the list goes on and on and on...

Sorry for the soap box but these are my observations.
Russ

G36Packer

Post by G36Packer »

I took the holster portion of a Fobus Roto and bolted it to the bottom of my ash tray/cup holder. It is hidden from casual view but is closer to reach than the radio.

I have pictures but I don't see an upload option on this board.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

kw5kw,
If a person keeps car doors locked and the gun on the seat or between the seat & console, access is much easier than if its on your body strapped in the seatbelt with you.
I can see your point about the locked box under the seat, but I think that is for locking up the gun when you need to go in a forbidden location (schools, polling places, etc.).
Since I teach at a school, I plan on getting a locked box for under my seat for when I'm teaching. I don't like the idea that a kid could throw a brick through my window, find my gun, and then become a school shooter with MY GUN! I don't think the locked box is for keeping while someone's just on the road.
As for what you've said about ladies carrying in their purses, I completely agree. I don't carry in my purse for that very reason. I don't want to arm a criminal. I carry on my body. If someone gets my gun off my body, they've gotten pretty intimate with me. About the only person allowed to get that close is dh, and possibly my mother if she's checking under my shirt to see how much weight I've lost. (Mom's are allowed to do things the average citizen can't.)

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

jbirdswife
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirdswife »

We bought the lock boxes for that very same reason. I am also a teacher and felt the same way. It is for storage, when out of the vehicle, not while in it.

We have also used them when travelling to my sister's home. They have children, so we unlatch the box from the car and put it in the suitcase. That way when jbirds takes the gun off at night it can be locked up and we don't have to worry that my nephew will stumble across it.

I have just applied for my CHL, so I have a few months to decide how I am going to carry, but you showed me a really good reason NOT to carry in your purse. As someone "new" to all of this that was not something I had given a lot of thought to. Thanks!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

jbirdswife,
Take a look at this holster for when your CHL arrives. I paid $31.10 after shipping & taxes & it is very versatile.
I wear it either inside my pants, or inside my underwear :oops: if I need deeper concealment.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/KEY145-46728-2141.html

jbirdswife

Post by jbirdswife »

Thanks for the info Venus - - I will take a look at it later this evening.

Have you found that it is uncomfortable? I always hear it said that carrying a pistol is comforting, not comfortable - -but I know myself well enough to know that I like to be comfortable too.

As I have said, this is all new to me - so I am totally open to suggestions and advice!

Have a great evening!

Kimberly

dnabob

Post by dnabob »

jbirds1210 wrote:the July/August issue of American Handgunner has an advertisement for a Universal Holster Mount. It looks like quality stuff if this is the style you want.

Take care,
Jason
This is a very interesting thread. Thanks, Jason, for the link to our web site.
I have a Concealed Carry Permit in California. Merced County is blessed with an intelligent Sheriff. I designed the Sure Set Holster Mount as a way to keep a holster in my truck so that I could holster my carry gun in a convenient place while I was seated. I was unable to draw from a seated position, especially with the seat belt fastened. The idea, of course, is to have the gun in the same position all the time so that you can train your brain and muscles for a smooth and safe draw when the time arrives. The mount can be mounted in many other situations, but I will leave the sales pitch to our web site.
Personally, I am not a big fan of locking a defensive gun while it is in my possession. I agree with Russ in this matter.
In the end, the decision on how to carry is a personal one, just like the decision to carry at all. For me, training is essential. I always want to know exactly where my gun is at all times. That’s why I always carry on my person in the same place: the place where I train to draw. The same in my truck and by my bed.
Robert Anderson
Sure Set Holster Mounts, Inc.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbirds1210 »

Welcome to the forum...I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the methods commonly used for car carry and concealed carry in general. As you know, the Texas Coast experienced an evacuation last year that opened many people's eyes and forced them to think about personal safety and accessibility in a car. I am sure your thoughts will be priceless. Take care and welcome!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

dnabob

Post by dnabob »

Jason,

Thank you for your welcome. Happy to have found you. I think I will learn a lot from everyone's thoughts.
Robert Anderson
Sure Set Holster Mounts, Inc.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”