Church Carry - Reciprocity Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Church Carry - Reciprocity Question

Post by WildBill »

I am invited to my cousin’s wedding next Saturday at the First Baptist Church in Arlen and I want to carry my 1911 inside the church during the wedding, but I am worried about the new Church Reciprocity Law. I want to be legal, but I am not sure about the reciprocity laws regarding church carry. My CHL instructor said that the Baptists had reverse-reciprocity with the Methodists, but not vice versa. He said that if I were a Baptist I could carry in a Methodist church in addition to carrying in a Baptist Church, but since I am a Methodist, I can only carry in a Methodist church and not a Baptist one.

I am still a little confused and wanted some more clarification on this matter so I called the DPS in Austin and had a very short conversation with a CHL Trooper, but after I asked the question we were cut off so I never got an answer. When I tried to call back the phone just kept ringing.

I am taking my girlfriend to the wedding. She has a CHL too, but since she is Jewish and can’t carry on the Sabbath in a church, so I don’t know what to do. Since the church is in a bad section of town I don’t want to go to the wedding without being armed. Please can anybody help?
NRA Endowment Member

longtooth

Re: Church Carry - Reciprocity Question

Post by longtooth »

Baptist Pastor here for 37yrs.
There is no such thing as Church Reciprocity in the penal code.
If the church where you are going to attend the wedding is not legally posted w/ a 30-06 sign then you are legal. Dont tell & you wont be given verbal notice.
If there is a 30-06 sign at the entrance then you cannot legally carry.

She can too as long as it does not offend her concience. No law against it nor Scripture that prohibits.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Wrightwing
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wrightwing »

WildBill wrote:I am invited to my cousin’s wedding next Saturday at the First Baptist Church in Arlen and I want to carry my 1911 inside the church during the wedding, but I am worried about the new Church Reciprocity Law. I want to be legal, but I am not sure about the reciprocity laws regarding church carry. My CHL instructor said that the Baptists had reverse-reciprocity with the Methodists, but not vice versa. He said that if I were a Baptist I could carry in a Methodist church in addition to carrying in a Baptist Church, but since I am a Methodist, I can only carry in a Methodist church and not a Baptist one.

I am still a little confused and wanted some more clarification on this matter so I called the DPS in Austin and had a very short conversation with a CHL Trooper, but after I asked the question we were cut off so I never got an answer. When I tried to call back the phone just kept ringing.

I am taking my girlfriend to the wedding. She has a CHL too, but since she is Jewish and can’t carry on the Sabbath in a church, so I don’t know what to do. Since the church is in a bad section of town I don’t want to go to the wedding without being armed. Please can anybody help?
"rlol" First April Fool joke of the day...
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

It really depends on a few things as far as I am aware:

1. I too am Methodist. As a Methodist, I was sprinkled during baptism. Many Churches will not accept sprinkling and require you to be immersed. If her church does not accept you as a 'sprinkled' Methodist, then they may not honor reciprocity.

2. Does her church have a minimum caliber requirement? A lot of churches will only allow calibers starting with a .4 and above. Make sure you and your girlfriend at least have that minimum requirement.

3. Is this a 'shotgun' wedding? If so, then the presence of a firearm automatically sets precedence and all other attendees may carry. Long guns may be carried openly, but you have to posses a CHL if you choose to conceal. Make sure to determine if the wedding is formal or not so you know if you must Duracoat your gun white before attending.

As an additional note; At the reception, some churches now require you to only perform the send-off 21 gun salute with steel shot. Lead shot is hazardous to the bride and groom in case they want to start a family.

Enjoy the wedding!!

P.S. Ammo boxes make great gift wrapping for shower gifts!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Pretty good! :mrgreen:

Happy April 1st everyone!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

OK I have egg on my face but I am soooooo easily deceived being the nice guy that I am.

But I do learn fast.
Shame on yall. :nono: "rlol"
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

longtooth wrote:OK I have egg on my face but I am soooooo easily deceived being the nice guy that I am.

But I do learn fast.
Hook, line and sinker. :lol:

It's OK LT. I almost bit too until I saw who posted it and remembered the date!! "rlol"
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
longtooth wrote:OK I have egg on my face but I am soooooo easily deceived being the nice guy that I am.

But I do learn fast.
Hook, line and sinker. :lol:

It's OK LT. I almost bit too until I saw who posted it and remembered the date!! "rlol"
I am glad that yall have a sense of humor. :biggrinjester:

I have been waiting for months to make this post. I must have gotten LT before he had his second cup of coffee. :mrgreen:

I don't know how many of you noticed the reference to Arlen, Texas. :smilelol5:
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I read the OP twice and wondered, "Is this guy for real"?

Good one :cheers2:

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

WildBill wrote: I am glad that yall have a sense of humor. :biggrinjester:

I have been waiting for months to make this post. I must have gotten LT before he had his second cup of coffee. :mrgreen:

I don't know how many of you noticed the reference to Arlen, Texas. :smilelol5:
I didn't get a chance to read this yesterday, but I thoroughly enjoyed that.

"propane and propane accessories..."

good'en.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

PsychDiver

Post by PsychDiver »

You all really missed the point. Just put an extra $20 in the plate and you can carry concealed. A $100 and you can open carry. :thumbs2:

aerod1

Post by aerod1 »

At our church we perform a body search to see if you have a gun. If you don't, you are sent home to get one and then you must sit through an hour long sermon about not leaving your gun at home. :lol:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Texas CHL, C&R 03 FFL
US Navy veteran, USS Midway (V-1 division)

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Here's a cool little piece of trivia that y'all may or may not know.

In "King of the Hill" the town they live in is Arlen, a city/suburban area of Texas,
not a West Texas kind of town.

Mike Judge, the creator of the show, lived in both Garland and Richardson, Texas.

Arlen is his joking way of referencing Garland!
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:Here's a cool little piece of trivia that y'all may or may not know.

In "King of the Hill" the town they live in is Arlen, a city/suburban area of Texas,
not a West Texas kind of town.

Mike Judge, the creator of the show, lived in both Garland and Richardson, Texas.

Arlen is his joking way of referencing Garland!
You ever see Office Space?
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”