SA Pharmacist Shoots Would-be Robber

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
will381796
Posts in topic: 1

SA Pharmacist Shoots Would-be Robber

Post by will381796 »

In the future I will be taking my prescriptions to this pharmacy. Thank goodness nobody but the BG was hurt, and I'm glad that SAPD isn't demonizing the owner for using deadly force.
Would-Be Pharmacy Robber Killed
Babcock Square Pharmacy Owner Opens Fire Following Brief Confrontation

POSTED: Wednesday, May 27, 2009
UPDATED: 5:46 pm CDT May 27, 2009
SAN ANTONIO -- A pharmacy owner shot and killed a would-be robber Wednesday morning on the city's northwest side.

San Antonio Police Chief Bill McManus said an armed man walked into Babcock Square Pharmacy at 5824 Babcock Road at 10 a.m. and handed an employee a note demanding drugs.

Moments later, the owner, who was armed, confronted the armed man, McManus said. The man saw the gun and told the owner, "Let's get it on," McManus said. That's when the owner opened fire, killing the man.

Bill Winn, the owner of the Babcock Pharmacy who also fired the fatal shots, said he was worried about his employees' safety.

"We were held up about three-and-a-half years, at knifepoint at that time, but it was basically the same type of thing," Winn said. "This guy was a little wilder and a little bit off-key."

McManus said the pharmacy owner was in fear of his life and had a right to open fire.

"He has a right by state law, to defend himself, to use deadly force in a situation like this," McManus said.

The robber, whose identity has not been released, had been stalking the area for a brief period of time, said other business owners.

"We had seen somebody parked out here, and he's been wearing a bandana and he was wearing green surgical gloves, and he was moving from parking space to parking space, just kind of looking," said Charlie Rojas of Martha's Mexican Restaurant next door to the pharmacy.

McManus said his officers were investigating the possibility the man might have been involved in other area robberies. Evidence in the man's vehicle indicated that he may have committed other robberies prior to the incident, McManus said.
http://www.ksat.com/news/19579098/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

longtooth

Re: SA Pharmacist Shoots Would-be Robber

Post by longtooth »

Glad the PD & seems line the paper know who the good guys & bad guys reall are. Who the victim & who is the Perp.

Maybe we are getting the word over in at least a few areas. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

will381796 wrote:The man saw the gun and told the owner, "Let's get it on," McManus said. That's when the owner opened fire, killing the man.
Classic. BG probably saw that in a movie. Didn't quite work out the way he expected.

AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

Well, at least he did not shoot him once in the head and several minutes later shoot him 5 times in the chest.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." -Clint Eastwood
Μολών λαβέ!
Sadly I lost all my guns in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico :(

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I remember there was a guy running around the Lewisville/Coppel area a couple of years ago sticking up pharmacies. Looks like being a pharmacist is becoming more and more dangerous. Maybe they should add a self-defense class to that school.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

casingpoint
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casingpoint »

The FBI says a homicide committed by a private citizen is justified when a person is slain during the commission of a felony, such as a burglary or robbery.
--http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... able_N.htm

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

casingpoint wrote:
The FBI says a homicide committed by a private citizen is justified when a person is slain during the commission of a felony, such as a burglary or robbery.
In this case the FBI's opinion probably doesn't mean much. The charges if any and the trial will will be in in an Oklahoma court not a federal court.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

"We had seen somebody parked out here, and he's been wearing a bandana and he was wearing green surgical gloves, and he was moving from parking space to parking space, just kind of looking," said Charlie Rojas of Martha's Mexican Restaurant next door to the pharmacy.
Gee, what a great neighbor to just sit and watch something like that.

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

The only bad thing now is that I've had that Marvin Gaye song in my head "let's get it on" since I first read the article. His grave marker should be etched with... "He got it on with the wrong guy."

:txflag:
Rok
NRA Benefactor Member

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

the FBI's opinion probably doesn't mean much
The FBI's opinion has a hidden meaning highly relevant in some self defense cases. Decisions of whether homicides are justifiable or not, is, of course up to the states. A blue chip government agency, expertised in criminology, namely the FBI, is of the opinion that the life of a person is in danger or he or she may be greatly harmed during the commission of some felony crimes. It goes almost without saying that the testimony of an FBI agent to the above will carry great weight in the courtroom in favor of a defendant in establishing his or her legal justification for self defense.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Liberty wrote:
casingpoint wrote:
In this case the FBI's opinion probably doesn't mean much. The charges if any and the trial will will be in in an Oklahoma court not a federal court.
Wrong case.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

casingpoint wrote:
The FBI's opinion has a hidden meaning highly relevant in some self defense cases. Decisions of whether homicides are justifiable or not, is, of course up to the states. A blue chip government agency, expertised in criminology, namely the FBI, is of the opinion that the life of a person is in danger or he or she may be greatly harmed during the commission of some felony crimes. It goes almost without saying that the testimony of an FBI agent to the above will carry great weight in the courtroom in favor of a defendant in establishing his or her legal justification for self defense.
Actually, the opinion of the FBI in cases like this is not even legal advice. It is merely advice on how to report cases under the uniform crime reporting system. The UCR system recognizes that each state has different crimes and different definitions. In order to get some uniformity so the statistics mean something, the FBI defines their crimes for UCR. For example, one of the UCR crimes is still rape, even though Texas has no such crime. If we reported all of our sexual assault cases as rape, it would skew the statistics. So, the FBI has a definition of rape it gives out for reporting whatever the state called the incident.

In the case of homicides, the FBI defines what it considers murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, etc., so that it can get some uniformity between states.
Steve Rothstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

casingpoint wrote:
I can't think of a reason why the FBI would be giving legal testimony in a state court. While sometimes they might be called into court to assist in evidentuary testimony, the feds aren't more qualified to interpert the law than the prosecuter, judges or defense lawyers. I would think their legal opinion would be pretty much unwanted and out of place. Keeping the Feds out of our local courts is an important principle. If they were allowed to to be arbitrators and authoritative interpreters of laws in our courts, they would undermine the whole system.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”