How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

How long for DPS to process your CHL

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Delays in processing new and renewal CHL's seems to be a real problem and I would like to try to get some empirical information to use in the 2007 Texas Legislative Session. The DPS Col. testified in a hearing conducted during a 2004 Interim Study that DPS was not running late on any CHL's and hasn't been in years. Well, the information I've been receiving indicates otherwise.

This information has to be based upon times for properly completed applications. Please start the countdown only when DPS has a properly completed application. Also, if your application required additional processing for reasons that comply with the statute, such as to clear up an old "issue" on your record, let me know that in a post. If additional processing time was required, then answer the appropriate poll question.

Please answer the poll questions and post a message, especially if you are willing to document your experience in writing when we get close to the next Legislative Session, or another Interim Study, if there is one. Hard evidence is impressive to a legislative committee.

Thanks,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Renewal late

I'll start it for my wife. 50 days for renewal.

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by one eyed fatman »

I think it was 63 day's for me. I forgot to sign the I'm not a wacko paperwork.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

close to 70 days the comment was "There's been a lot of applications since 9-11 and the FBI is backed up."(Early 02) When I changed my address it took three weeks. (I moved in November and submitted my change in December and had an updated CHL in January)
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

oilman

Post by oilman »

Took 89 days. I was told the FBI was backed up.

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

My renewal was right at three weeks. We'll see if there's a major difference next year. My hunch is that the people in the CHL licensing division are understaffed.
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

Mine took 9 days from the day I sent it off.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

sensei

Post by sensei »

Took ninety days on the button. Haven't renewed yet..

sensei

90 days seemed forever, I can tell you that.

Mcb1154

Got it today!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

Post by Mcb1154 »

Initially submitted 12/16. Forgot to sign something. Re-submitted 2/1. Recieved today 3/26. I guess the pre 2/1 time is on me. Post 2/1 is 54 days. I answered the poll as over 60 days but sme of that was my fault.

MCB1154

DFC

Post by DFC »

Received mine in Jan. They signed for it Nov 18th (certified mail) and I received it Jan 18th. That is 62 days or 38 business days. I had Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays in there too.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Not sure where my new license fits into the poll.

DPS had me resubmit my fingerprints about 60 days into the process. Total time for a new license was just over 120 days.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Fingerprint excuse?

It's starting to look like the fingerprint card is being used as an excuse for delayed processing. 60 days before they let you know the fingerprint card was allegedly bad? In past years, prior to the interim study that put DPS on the spot for slow processing, I don't recall hearing of anywhere near this number of returned fingerprint cards.

I wouldn't be near as suspicious, if we weren't hearing other excuses like 1) 60 work days, rather than calendar days; 2) the 60 day period doesn't start until we log your application into our system; 3) we're still waiting on a report to come in from the field. BTW, none of these are valid excuses for delaying issuance beyond 46 or 60 days.

Regards,
Chas.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

Took almost 120 days for my new one to get to me. I am convinced that it is just slow processing on their part because when I actually called (not emailed) and asked they put me to the front of the line and I was done in less than 4 business hours to get approved. Well, then there was some more delay while they tried to match a couple of things up prior to sending the CHL out to me.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 14

Post by dws1117 »

I am 94 days and still no CHL or delial.

As mentined in other threads, I am expecting a denial due to other issues.

Initial application was mailed on Jan. 3. Missed a date on a previous address and that part of the application was sent back to me. The completed part was mailed back on Feb. 14. The 41 days between initial submition and return for completion was my fault. I figured that the clock would start over.

If the clock does start over then it has been 53 days. I do have to allow a couple of days for transit time.

With luck I should see wither my CHL or denial letter by Christmas.

P.S.
Those of you that called, how did you get a live person to speak with?

dws1117
Posts in topic: 14

Post by dws1117 »

See this thread.

Hopefully I will be able to add my information to the poll soon.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”