Has anyone here ever drawn there firearm in defense?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Reload 02
Posts in topic: 1

Has anyone here ever drawn there firearm in defense?

Post by Reload 02 »

As the title says has atone here ever needed to draw ther firearm in defense and if so has atone ever discharged said firearm
Can't Remember -- CHL Class Taken
03/06/09 -- Packet mailed to DPS
03/07/09 -- Packet recieved by DPS
03/10/09 -- Check cashed by DPS
04/09/09 -- PIN received
08/14/09 -- Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
08/19/09 -- Plastic in hand

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Has anyone here ever drawn there firearm in defense?

Post by Jeff B. »

I am glad to say no, in both cases.

But, I am very thankful to have the ability to do so if the situation demanded it.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I have gotten as close as putting my hand on the grip but the situation did not escalate. It was very tense.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Wisewr

Post by Wisewr »

I havn't yet. But then again I just got my gun and license a month ago.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

As a CHL I have only pulled my firearm one time and that was enough for me. I held them at gun point until the Irving PD arrived. As a LEO I can't count the times I pulled my firearm, but thanks to a loving God never had to pull the trigger.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

After having handgun flashed in my face, mine stayed in waistband during dash to hard cover - and a 12 gauge. Have never before, nor since, seen a pickup truck travel so fast in reverse gear.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

HankB

Post by HankB »

No - over the past 8 or 9 years there a couple of incidents in which I was mighty glad I had the handgun, but they didn't escalate and I didn't have to draw.

One was a road rage case where some idiot tried to provoke me, but I shrugged, smiled, and waved - he got to drive off thinking he'd scared me into apologizing for whatever he thought I did, proving himself Alpha Male King of the Road, and I didn't have to shoot anyone. Good ending in my book.

Another was when I was taking my mother out to dinner, and we were obviously being sized up as potential mugging targets by a couple of guys in the restaurant parking lot. I was grasping my weapon discretely - pocket carry is good for that - and I guess the guys decided, for whatever reason, not to assault us. (We left that restaurant and dined elsewhere.)
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Once, but it turned out there was no actual threat. We were preparing a house to move in by painting and things. After a long day of painting we went back to the old house to sleep. The next day, when I returned to continue work preparing the new house the front door was open. Thinking there may have been someone inside I drew and cleared the house. No one was here. I don't know if I did not properly secure the door or if someone had actually been here. There wasn't even any furniture in the house yet.

I tried to stay calm and not get the heart rate up to much. I was wishing I had one of my dogs with me to help.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

No to either. Got my CHL a month ago. Just starting to carry on the job. I find it amazing you can forget you have it (for short periods of time) considering how it felt the first time I carried into a new store or whatever. The other day, was in Taco Bell with two LEO's. Wasn't even concerned. :coolgleamA:

Geoelectro
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

Was visiting at my brothers house a few weeks ago. My brother, his wife and my son were at the pool while I stayed behind in the computer room.
Heard pounding on the front door, ignored it. If it was them, they could come in because they knew it was unlocked. Heard someone yelling, "Is anyone home"? Ignored that too. They could just go away.
Next thing I hear is someone making noises in the living room. I walk out and see some skinny fool bent over my brothers big-screen TV feverishly pulling wires out with his back to me.
I said something in a querying mode that was mildly obscene and the guy turned around with a look of surprise that must have equalled mine. Unfortunately he had a cable in his hand and decided that it would make a fine impromptu weapon to threaten me with. My immediate thought was "never bring a TV power cable to a gunfight" and brought out my Glock 27 from my Crossbreed holster located at my 3 o'clock and pointed it at him. He then divested himself of the cable and ran out the front door, leaving me in the proverbial dust.
It never occurred to me to try and "capture" him.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

USA1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by USA1 »

no , but i've been drawn on a few times .
i was a different person in the 80's
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

apostate

Post by apostate »

Yes.

fannypacker

Post by fannypacker »

I twice pulled my gun while living in Dallas but fortunately the mere apprarance was enough to make the bad guys run.

TxCommish

Post by TxCommish »

HankB wrote:Another was when I was taking my mother out to dinner, and we were obviously being sized up as potential mugging targets by a couple of guys in the restaurant parking lot. I was grasping my weapon discretely - pocket carry is good for that - and I guess the guys decided, for whatever reason, not to assault us. (We left that restaurant and dined elsewhere.)
I agree that pocket carry has its advantages. I had a very similar situation while at a conference in the "big city" once. The man who yelled at me from behind to get my attention and demand money, got the attention, not the money when I whirled around to confront him with my right hand in my pocket and my left in the traditional "stop" position. He stopped in his tracks and even went so far as to comment, "You're acting like you've got a gun in your pocket or something." I answered, "Maybe." He quickly turned around and headed the other way! :nono:

neiltus

Post by neiltus »

Yep

About 10 years ago someone attempted to break in a detached building on my house during the night.

They broke in the day before and took what they could get with their hands.

2nd time they backed their truck up.

Saw what was going on, called the police, got him coming out the garage with an portable air compressor in one hand and nailgun in another.

Held him at gunpoint till the police arrived.

I should also note that I asked him not to set the air compressor and nailgun down, to keep them in his hands or I would consider that aggression.

I bet that air compressor got heavy after about 10 minutes.

Cops found a rambo knife on him.
Course 5/2
Mailed packet 5/4
Application Processing 6/10
After reprints and all FINALLY 8/5 Plastic!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”