I caught one... now what? (scenario)

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NAVY CHIEF
Posts in topic: 3

I caught one... now what? (scenario)

Post by NAVY CHIEF »

Okay, if this is entered in a different post and answered, just point me to it and I will delete this.

Here goes: I have someone who has entered my premises without an invite with a clear (as I can tell) intention of burglary, or threatening my family. I tell him/her to "stop of I'll shoot" - they do, but don't run or proceed to continue their misbehavior (in essence, he/she has just "pooped" in their pants and are scared to death) and "freeze". They have a weapon in hand, they drop it but don't run away. I have the presence of mind to call 911. Question: Do I hold hold them at gunpoint, until LEO arrives? or do I use some kind of restraint once I move weapon from their presence? What if they don't have a weapon? outcome still the same?

Trying to see what I would do, since I am not a LEO, but AM used to doing LEO stuff in similar situations(I'm active duty - remember?)

Hooyah!
CHL class: 8/29/09
Plastic Received:22OCT09

Keith B

Re: I caught one... now what? (scenario)

Post by Keith B »

NAVY CHIEF wrote:Okay, if this is entered in a different post and answered, just point me to it and I will delete this.

Here goes: I have someone who has entered my premises without an invite with a clear (as I can tell) intention of burglary, or threatening my family. I tell him/her to "stop of I'll shoot" - they do, but don't run or proceed to continue their misbehavior (in essence, he/she has just "pooped" in their pants and are scared to death) and "freeze". They have a weapon in hand, they drop it but don't run away. I have the presence of mind to call 911. Question: Do I hold hold them at gunpoint, until LEO arrives? or do I use some kind of restraint once I move weapon from their presence? What if they don't have a weapon? outcome still the same?

Trying to see what I would do, since I am not a LEO, but AM used to doing LEO stuff in similar situations(I'm active duty - remember?)

Hooyah!
If they have entered your premises by force then you have the right to do whatever necessary to protect yourself and your family. If they have stopped, are no longer a threat and don't run, as long as they don't make an aggressive move and have 'just given up' you can hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive.

Personally, I would do everything I could to secure the situation. They might suddenly come out of their shock and decide to turn on you again. One of the worst things people, even LEO's, do in this type of situation is to let their guard down. The subject then sees an opportunity to attack and takes it. I would attempt to force them to place their hands on their head, move away from the weapon and kneel facing the wall until the cops arrive. Any move prior to LEO arrival would be a sign of aggression and would subject them to being shot.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Stupid
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Stupid »

Had i caught one, I would not approach the person or try to restrain the person without a partner.

I would order him to knee down on the ground, feet crossed and hands behind the head. I would tell him any sudden movement would be treated as hostile attack to me.

If he runs away, that's OK and I would be a good witness.

In your scenario, if they enter the yard, they get to be told to leave (trespassing) without showing the firearm; if they break into the house (home invasion), they get shot first.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

Putting someone in restraints requires you to get in very close proximity to them. As was noted in a different thread, even LEOs wait for backup if they can before putting the cuffs on someone. I wouldn't suggest you try that unless you have some serious backup.

If it were me, I'd keep them at gun point until the LEOs arrive (I'm supposing my wife/kids have called 911, because knowing them, all three of 'em would be on the cells).

Yes, have them move away from their weapon. Yes, have them lie face down with their legs crossed and their hands straight out to the sides (like a cruciform). No, don't approach them.
Last edited by Mithras61 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I agree with STUPID above.

-They have to give up the gun, first. If not, I would seriously consider use of deadly force.
-Remove the gun from easy reach while maintaining situational awareness.
-They would then need to get down on their face with their hands behind their head until relieved of that position by an LEO. If not, I would seriously consider use of deadly force.

As a civilian with no formal training in police techniques, that would be about the extent of my actions. Same stuff we were taught on active duty when disarming potential terrorists.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

psehorne
Posts in topic: 2

Post by psehorne »

PC 59.03. CONFINEMENT AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE. Confinement is justified when force is justified by this chapter if the actor takes reasonable measures to terminate the confinement as soon as he knows he safely can unless the person confined has been arrested for an offense.
Paul

Springfield XD(M )9
Springfield XDsc9
Kel Tec PF9

09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application, 11:52 am, AUSTIN
10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

android

Post by android »

Keith B wrote: Personally, I would do everything I could to secure the situation. They might suddenly come out of their shock and decide to turn on you again. One of the worst things people, even LEO's, do in this type of situation is to let their guard down. The subject then sees an opportunity to attack and takes it. I would attempt to force them to place their hands on their head, move away from the weapon and kneel facing the wall until the cops arrive. Any move prior to LEO arrival would be a sign of aggression and would subject them to being shot.
I don't think I would want to approach or attempt to restrain BG. I would ask them to step away from their weapon, get nose in the corner, put hands on head and make it very clear that they should not make me any more nervous than I already am.

Then spend the longest 5 minutes of life waiting for cops to show up.

pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

NAVY CHIEF wrote:Okay, if this is entered in a different post and answered, just point me to it and I will delete this.

Hooyah!
Navy Chief, I for one, would not try to restrain the BG. There are way too many variables of "what could go wrong". I think I would demand that they lay down face-down on the floor with their hands behind their head, like the cops would do. If they failed to comply, I would interpret that as an act of agression, and things could escalate from there. My thinking here is, if the BG is face-down on the floor with hands behind the head, any sudden move of agression would require getting-up off the floor first. That would be bad news for the BG. I wouldn't take the business-end of my weapon off the BG.

During all this, the plan is that my wife would call 911, and would then call my HPD neighbor from across the street. After recently having his front door kicked-in, and taken for $14K, I'm sure his temperment toward Mr. BG would be a bit rough! :mrgreen:
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

karder

Post by karder »

I agree with most of the advice here. There is a big tactical difference between defending against an attacker and apprehending the aggressor. My advice is to not approach the intruder. Keep your weapon trained on them. Assume that there are other intruders in the house or waiting outside. Call authorities, and as long as your know your family is safe and secured, just wait for the cops. There are potential factors that can complicate the situation, such as not knowing exactly where in the house the rest of your family is and the status of their safety. This may force you to take different actions, but in the scenario you describe, I would recommend just keeping them at gun point, calling the police, and be wary of your trigger finger...don't accidently squeeze that trigger if your not meaning to! That has been known to happen to even experienced, veteran officers. You might consider practicing "fire drills" with your family so that at least everyone is thinking of how they might react if you were forced to be in a situation like this. If any of us ever have to pull our weapons, my belief is that we must think in the terms of defense rather than apprehension. Get yourself and your family in a safe area, and call for backup (911) and don't take anything for granted. Pull that trigger when all other reasonable options are no longer available to you.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

psehorne
Posts in topic: 2

Post by psehorne »

During my CHL training the instructor asked the class what our chances are of drawing on a BG, if the BG was already holding a gun on us. The class answers were from 0 to 25 per cent. The instructor told us that our chances are 98%, because action time is faster than reaction time, especially if the BG can be distracted (throwing wallet on ground, etc.).

Let's reverse that now. I am holding a gun on a BG. hmn...

I'm thinking my gun should never come out unless I am firing..... Am I being too harsh? I don't want to be the one with the 98% odds against me.

In any event, food for thought.
Last edited by psehorne on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

Springfield XD(M )9
Springfield XDsc9
Kel Tec PF9

09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application, 11:52 am, AUSTIN
10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Here is an example of catching one and hloding them for police http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 83&t=28080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "rlol"
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Frost

Post by Frost »

Order him to step away from the weapon and get spread eagle on the ground. Pepper spray him if he does not comply.
It can happen here.

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

One should plan this all out beforehand and then work your plan. If they forciby enter my house (which they'll have to do as I always keep my door locked), they'll leave in a body bag.

Topic author
NAVY CHIEF

Post by NAVY CHIEF »

This is why I like this forum as opposed to other CCW/CHL ones. They NEVER get back to you, but y'all always do! I love it! Thanks to all respondents so far and in the future - you truly are the best shooters a friend could ask for! :thewave

Hooyah!
CHL class: 8/29/09
Plastic Received:22OCT09

joe817
Posts in topic: 7

Post by joe817 »

NAVY CHIEF wrote:This is why I like this forum as opposed to other CCW/CHL ones. They NEVER get back to you, but y'all always do! I love it! Thanks to all respondents so far and in the future - you truly are the best shooters a friend could ask for! :thewave

Hooyah!
:iagree: NAVY CHIEF! But what sets us off from other forums, is that we are Texans, united in a common cause. :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”