Posting of DPS office?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 1

Posting of DPS office?

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Ok. I went to the local DPS office to grab one of the CHL laws and statutes handbooks. I checked the door, no 30.06, so I didn't disarm. I had just gotten off duty in the ER of a non-posted hospital and was carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT in the thigh pocket of my scrubs. There's an outer door then a very small foyer, then and inner door, then the reception area. On a bulletin board behind the reception desk was a 30.06 sign. But it's only visible once you're already in the building. I have several questions about this.

1. Can they post the building at all? I understand that they can post the non-public section, but what sign would they have to put up? I read the statute, but it seems unclear to me.

2. Would a 30.06 sign be the proper sign? And would the sign I saw on the bulletin board probably be pertaining to the secured area and not the foyer and reception area? That's what my guess was but I'm not 100% sure. I think I was OK in the reception area, anyway, it was too late for me to run out since technically, I was already in the building.

Random extra question... The receptionist said she had never seen a CHL handbook before. I seem to remember getting one with my very first CHL class. She told me that all the information was online and that's the only place to find it. I already printed that out and have a copy in a folder in my truck. Even the PDF file on the DPS website appears to be scanned from a book, and in book format. Am I remembering incorrectly or did they really never print a handbook like that? I'd like to have a current one handy.

Any help in clarifying is appreciated.

TacTex
TacTex
NRA Life Member

jsimmons
Banned

Re: Posting of DPS office?

Post by jsimmons »

When you apply online, you get the handbook in the packet they mail to you. I'm also pretty sure that whenever you take a CHL class, you get the same packet from your instructor.

You might be able to request a complete CHL application packet on the website, but I haven't looked. You also may be able to talk a local CHL instructor into giving you a packet (or just the book). If all else fails, I have a spare one I could send you (it's the most current as of the beginning of this month). :)
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

sheffd

Post by sheffd »

I may be incorrect, but according to our instructor, the only place to get the CHL statutes is online. Those are the most current, up-to-date statutes. I keep a link on my computer so that I can reference any time I need to. Now, I realize that doesn't help you while in the car, but keep a current copy of that with you.
You sometimes find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote: 1. Can they post the building at all? I understand that they can post the non-public section, but what sign would they have to put up? I read the statute, but it seems unclear to me.

2. Would a 30.06 sign be the proper sign? And would the sign I saw on the bulletin board probably be pertaining to the secured area and not the foyer and reception area? That's what my guess was but I'm not 100% sure. I think I was OK in the reception area, anyway, it was too late for me to run out since technically, I was already in the building.
1. Yes they can post it - there is no prohibition to them doing so, but it is likely unenforceable unless other conditions are met. You have to compare the location to the complete set of locations in penal codes 46.03 & 46.035. I don't know if there are court offices or other facilities in that location that would allow the exception, so its possible, but generally, any property owned or operated by the state or local governments is prohibited from enforcing such a sign (but not from posting it).

2. Proper sign for what purpose? If it is a court office, they don't have to post ANY sign. The sign must be posted for other things (like hospitals), and on the bulletin board seems likely to meet "publicly posted" requirements. If it fit on the bulletin board without covering the whole thing, either they have a large bulletin board, or the sign likely didn't meet the requirements for text and size of the lettering ("Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun" in one inch high block letters in both English & Spanish makes for a pretty big sign).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”