CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

txbirddog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 7 killed at Ft Hood shooting

Post by txbirddog »

RottenApple wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
Keith B wrote:Hasan has been dishonorably discharged. He is no longer considered a service member and has no rank.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Hasan- ... arged.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An interesting thing to read in that article...
Earlier this year, NBC 5 Investigates was the first to report that the Department of Defense showed Hasan had been paid about $300,000 after his arrest for the Nov. 5, 2009, shooting.

After the NBC 5 investigation aired, three U.S. Representatives have drafted legislation that would stop military payments to soldiers awaiting trial for major crimes. The money would be returned to the solider if they are acquitted but if they are found guilty the money would go to the victims.
I have no sympathy for that pig Hasan, and I wish he could get the worst of everything mentioned here on this thread. He deserves to live the rest of his life in agonizing pain - although I doubt that will happen in Leavenworth to the extent that most of us here would hope.

But removing ourselves from this case...I have to disagree with the proposed legislation mentioned in the paragraph above. Imagine if a young soldier with a family is arrested for (and later acquitted of) a major crime - should the family suffer and be completely destitute until the trial is over? Something doesn't feel right about that.

True, it would happen in the civilian world. You get arrested for something major and cannot work while in jail awaiting trial - you'll lose your income, and likely your job, even if you get acquitted. But the family of a service member picks up & moves around the world unexpectedly, severely limiting the long-term employment options of the average military wife. I've known plenty of them to hold down jobs, but the lifestyle of being a military family makes it more difficult to gainfully pursue a career that would allow them to become self-sustaining if this were to happen.

I welcome your thoughts...
I have to agree. If Pop had ever been arrested and his pay held while undergoing trial, my family would have been in rough shape. Even if we were living in base housing (no rent), there's still food, fuel, clothing, etc to consider.

If this legislation passes, it could have dire consequences for the family of the service member.
Have to make sure before murdering fellow servicemen,,,,,,,consequences for actions :nono:

philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Re: 7 killed at Ft Hood shooting

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2021/09/09/terrorist ... death-row/

Fort Hood murderer Hasan congratulates Taliban from prison via his attorney on their victory in Afghanistan.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”