Woman attacked while jogging in Houston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
psycho_bob42
Posts in topic: 1

Woman attacked while jogging in Houston

Post by psycho_bob42 »

Why would I need to carry a gun while jogging? It's 6am and I'll only be gone for a little while...

http://www.click2houston.com/news/22374297/detail.html

joe817

Re: Woman attacked while jogging in Houston

Post by joe817 »

Indeed bob! It can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. This proves it.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

Actually, this incident occurred in a "good, safe" neighborhood in one of the suburbs north of Houston, not far from where I live. It is one of several incidents that have occurred recently in this general area, including bank robberies, assault & battery combined with robbery, and armed robbery, as well as a variety of other less violent offences (B&E, etc). It is one of the several that I have shared with my family as reasons to be alert & prepared to defend themselves from violence.

As was pointed out, yet more proof that there is no such thing as a place where this sort of thing can't happen. Sadly, it is also one of a growing trend of violence towards others that has seemingly gripped our nation in the last couple years.

Does anyone know if the FBI crime statistics back up the appearance of more violence, or if it is just the appearance that has intensified?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Ah yes, safe neighborhoods...wait, there's no such thing. There are those with fewer crimes, but none are 'safe'. Criminals are prevalent in all neighborhoods.

Or was that statement said tongue in cheek?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:Or was that statement said tongue in cheek?
That is why Mithras61 put "good safe" in quotes.
NRA Endowment Member

almostfree

Post by almostfree »

I always felt that jogging, especially early in the morning, was one of the most important times to carry. Two years ago or so, I was shot at while jogging in Houston by a 2 or 3 individuals that were breaking into parked cars in the street two blocks from my former home. While I did not have to return fire (couldn't see them because it was 4:30 AM, and I was already running the other way and around a corner after seeing what they were doing from 75 feet away), I am very glad that I was carrying at the time because my biggest fear was that they were going to run me down in the likely stolen car they were working out of. For anyone that jogs and carries, I highly recommend the smart carry type holster (smartcarry.com). It works much better than a fanny pack. The one positive thing that came out of that experience was that I didn't even think about it and the pistol was in my hand. It helped reinforce that training and practice does indeed help in times of stress.

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

I live down here near Alvin but play tennis most every Sat. morning up there at the Sawmill park which is a few blocks away from that area. I was surprised a few months ago to see on the news a killing at the tennis courts and swimming pool park at Sawmill Park. You can assume it is safe anywhere and yet I get asked why do you carry a gun to such nice places. I am not looking for a problem but even a nice community up there in a very nice neighborhood and family setting park and I see that. My friends know I carry even to the courts. I hate to see such things.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Mithras61 wrote:Does anyone know if the FBI crime statistics back up the appearance of more violence, or if it is just the appearance that has intensified?
No, violent crime in the US has been steadily declining since the early 1990s (a couple of years before the Assault Wepon Ban was passed, and shortly after the new wave of shall-issue laws went into effect. The trend continued in the first half of 2009, with murders down 10% from the same period in 2008, while gun sales increased 12% during the same period.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”