Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Post Reply

sooeey2u
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Re: Open Carry

#76

Post by sooeey2u »

Dopavash wrote:Wouldn't this make it to where only CHL holders can OC? I don't agree with this route completely but it serves everyone's purposes. Folks who are strictly CC won't have to worry about taking a ride to the station because of an accident and have the option to OC when it suits them. OC folks would be happy with this, I know.
Careful there on the OC folks. If you go on any of the nationwide OC forums like http://www.opencarry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you'll find 95% of the members believe in OC withOUT a CHL. They believe it is a constitutional right to open carry regardless of a license. I touched a nerve in there about it,,,,and got flamed by everyone!

It is a good resource forum and big on legislative matters. Right now there is an ongoing petition to get Oklahoma as the 44th open carry state.
User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 17734
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Open Carry

#77

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

sooeey2u wrote:
Dopavash wrote:Wouldn't this make it to where only CHL holders can OC? I don't agree with this route completely but it serves everyone's purposes. Folks who are strictly CC won't have to worry about taking a ride to the station because of an accident and have the option to OC when it suits them. OC folks would be happy with this, I know.
Careful there on the OC folks. If you go on any of the nationwide OC forums like http://www.opencarry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you'll find 95% of the members believe in OC withOUT a CHL. They believe it is a constitutional right to open carry regardless of a license. I touched a nerve in there about it,,,,and got flamed by everyone!

It is a good resource forum and big on legislative matters. Right now there is an ongoing petition to get Oklahoma as the 44th open carry state.
You just joined TexasCHLforum yesterday so you obviously aren't aware that OpenCarry.org is very well known here.

Chas.
User avatar

gigag04
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5474
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Open Carry

#78

Post by gigag04 »

sooeey2u wrote: I lived in & around Houston from '72-81 and concealed carried 90% of the time w/o a permit being knowledgeable that when carrying concealed it means concealed...



My belief is ALL states should allow OC to al law abiding USA citizens, period.

Was carrying without a permit somehow legal? Or do you mean law abiding insofar as you agree with the law?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
User avatar

boomerang
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2629
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Open Carry

#79

Post by boomerang »

gigag04 wrote:Was carrying without a permit somehow legal?
In pro-gun states it is.
:leaving
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"
User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 20
Posts: 10126
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Open Carry

#80

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I do love me a good thread resurrection. :shock:

sooeey2u
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Re: Open Carry

#81

Post by sooeey2u »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:You just joined TexasCHLforum yesterday so you obviously aren't aware that OpenCarry.org is very well known here.

Chas.
Sorry, didn't mean to be condescending or whatever. Just commenting about OC groups and referred to that forum. Won't happen again.

Robert

sooeey2u
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Re: Open Carry

#82

Post by sooeey2u »

gigag04 wrote:
sooeey2u wrote: I lived in & around Houston from '72-81 and concealed carried 90% of the time w/o a permit being knowledgeable that when carrying concealed it means concealed...



My belief is ALL states should allow OC to al law abiding USA citizens, period.

Was carrying without a permit somehow legal? Or do you mean law abiding insofar as you agree with the law?
No, carrying without a permit was NOT legal. That's why I stated that I made sure my gun was concealed at all times.

A little confused on the next question about law abiding but I'll try to clear up my submission. I believe the law of the land (all states of the US of A) should be that citizens in "good standing" with the law should be able to open carry their guns. "Good standing" in the sense of a criminal background check standard.
User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 17734
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Open Carry

#83

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

sooeey2u wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:You just joined TexasCHLforum yesterday so you obviously aren't aware that OpenCarry.org is very well known here.

Chas.
Sorry, didn't mean to be condescending or whatever. Just commenting about OC groups and referred to that forum. Won't happen again.

Robert
Hi Robert. I didn't take your comment as condescending at all and I apologize if you took my post that way. I was just saying that OpenCarry.org has been discussed at length for over two years.

Sorry,
Chas.

bdickens
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: Open Carry

#84

Post by bdickens »

The CHL really just legalized something a lot of otherwise perfectly law-abiding citizens were doing anyway.
Byron Dickens
User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 26063
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Open Carry

#85

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bdickens wrote:The CHL really just legalized something a lot of otherwise perfectly law-abiding citizens were doing anyway.
Exactly the same defense used by immigration activists to justify the status of illegal aliens in the U.S. They are alleged to all be good people whose only crime is that of being here illegally.

I don't want to hijack the thread into a discussion of immigration, but I'm just trying to point out that when you use a relativist argument to justify breaking one law, you open yourself up to another's use of the same relativist argument against you to justify breaking some other law. I'm not making a judgement here. I've carried illegally when I lived in California, particularly during the 1992 rioting in Los Angeles. I'm just saying that you have to be careful not to use that kind of justification on your own account if you don't want to hear it used by others for some other reason.

According the founders, we are a nation of laws which are hung on the framework of our Constitution. We are either law-breakers, or we are not. There really isn't any in-between. Therefore, we have to clarify why we break laws when we do... ...and we all do it at some point or other. Is there anyone here who has never driven faster than the posted speed limit? Of course not. However, one can legitimately make the claim that he was not paying attention and didn't realize he was speeding. That doesn't deliver him from the consequences if he gets pulled over, but it does say something about intent.

However, the decision to strap on a gun is extremely intentional. If one does it when it is illegal to do so, then one intentionally breaks the law. Moral clarity demands an explanation. You may no longer at that point call yourself law-abiding, because you are manifestly breaking the law, and you are doing it intentionally. Thus, in my book, if carrying a gun is illegal for you, then it is quite legitimate to say, "my ancient common law right to self defense and to keep and bear arms trumps any laws of man;" or to say, "I am carrying a gun as an act of civil disobedience to protest the unconstitutionality of the current laws;" or something to that effect.

By the way, I agree with all the above sentiments. I'm just not going to tell people that I break the law, and then call myself law-abiding in the same breath as if my being "otherwise law-abiding" were a justification for breaking the law, because it isn't. There ARE valid justifications, but that is not one of them, in my humble opinion.

Now I'm off to the gun show. :mrgreen:
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings. BTW, have you noticed that the topographical contours of local lake bottoms seem to have changed and become more rich in aluminum alloys and polymers in the last 10 years?

bdickens
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: Open Carry

#86

Post by bdickens »

I am not justifying anything. I was merely relating a fact without rendering a value judgement upon it.
Byron Dickens
User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 20
Posts: 10126
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Open Carry

#87

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

bdickens wrote:The CHL really just legalized something a lot of otherwise perfectly law-abiding citizens were doing anyway.
I don't want to get into a topic war on morality with anyone here but I do want to mention that I agree. It was happening before the CHL and it is still happening. There are many who feel the CHL is putting them on the radar and figure they will deal with what they have to deal with if they ever are forced to use their handgun to defend their lives. One thing for sure... folks who carry with no CHL won't typically pull a weapon and start firing unless they are actually in defense of their own lives. They know the penalty may be jail time and shooting at folks is only worth it if actually defending a life. The exception of coarse is the thug gang bangers out there who have the gun for several notorious reasons and couldn't care less about many things.
User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 26063
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Open Carry

#88

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bdickens wrote:I am not justifying anything. I was merely relating a fact without rendering a value judgement upon it.
I apologize. I guess I misunderstood you.
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings. BTW, have you noticed that the topographical contours of local lake bottoms seem to have changed and become more rich in aluminum alloys and polymers in the last 10 years?

bdickens
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: Open Carry

#89

Post by bdickens »

It's that pedantry again.
Byron Dickens
User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 26063
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Open Carry

#90

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bdickens wrote:It's that pedantry again.
Isn't there a lotion or shampoo to treat that with? :smilelol5:
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings. BTW, have you noticed that the topographical contours of local lake bottoms seem to have changed and become more rich in aluminum alloys and polymers in the last 10 years?
Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”