CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chabouk
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Troubling trend on TexasCHLforum.com

Post by chabouk »

This forum is one of the best gun forums around, and it's a great source for information on Texas law, and even federal law. I lurked here for quite some time (over a year) before registering and starting to post, and I've always been impressed that whatever the question, no matter how obscure it is or many times it's been asked and answered before, someone is along shortly to give the right answer and a cite to the law.

I'm seeing a troubling trend away from that, where people are piping up with opinions that are contrary to the law, and declaring how much trouble someone is going to be in if (fill in the blank), and they continue to object even when shown the law.

It's one thing to say "That's legal, but not a lot of people know about it, so expect some hassle." You know, the old "beat the rap but not the ride" routine. That's fine; it's interjecting some wisdom so people can decide their own level of risk comfort.

It's another thing to declare "You're going to be staring down a cop's barrel and probably get tackled and cuffed and probably lose your license and spend time in jail and suffer the heartbreak of psoriasis to boot!" (Okay, I exaggerated a little. But only a little.)

Maybe it's because the forum has gotten so popular and has so many participants, but it seems like more and more people pipe up without really knowing the answer, but feel compelled to say what they think it might be or should be, or what the old man at the gun store told them, or their wife's cousin's husband who used to be a cop said twenty years ago.

I'd hate to see this forum reach that breaking point where it's too busy to read, so everyone replies without reading what has already been said in a thread. There are plenty of those out there already, offering plenty of heat and little light (arfcom, CAguns.net, northeastshooters, THR...)

Okay, off my soapbox now.

joe817
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Troubling trend on TexasCHLforum.com

Post by joe817 »

I share your sentiments chabouk. Well put.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

thelurker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thelurker »

I lurked here for a long time also...still do, but have recently started to post more. I really enjoy this board because of the level of maturity here. Relatively speaking, there isn't much pettiness going on and the majority of people have good things to say, and I hope it stays that way.
TSRA Life Member/NRA Endowment Member/Veteran

tamc9395

Post by tamc9395 »

Be careful, I offered up my opinion of another trend once and I was put back in my place.

I still think the forum is very helpful, even if now I have to search all of the threads to find my information.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

chabouk wrote:This forum is one of the best gun forums around, and it's a great source for information on Texas law, and even federal law. I lurked here for quite some time (over a year) before registering and starting to post, and I've always been impressed that whatever the question, no matter how obscure it is or many times it's been asked and answered before, someone is along shortly to give the right answer and a cite to the law.

I'm seeing a troubling trend away from that, where people are piping up with opinions that are contrary to the law, and declaring how much trouble someone is going to be in if (fill in the blank), and they continue to object even when shown the law.
I've noticed this too. It is especially prevalent in threads discussing obviously non-§30.06 no-guns signs (eg gunbuster-type).

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by marksiwel »

hirundo82 wrote:
chabouk wrote:This forum is one of the best gun forums around, and it's a great source for information on Texas law, and even federal law. I lurked here for quite some time (over a year) before registering and starting to post, and I've always been impressed that whatever the question, no matter how obscure it is or many times it's been asked and answered before, someone is along shortly to give the right answer and a cite to the law.

I've noticed this too. It is especially prevalent in threads discussing obviously non-§30.06 no-guns signs (eg gunbuster-type).
I've found it best to stay away from them because it boils down to this

The Sign is incorrect in some way but no one wants to test it
and
Some says "Concealed Means Concealed" implying they should just carry anyway
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 15

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I think it just comes from folks having different opinions on what level of risk they are willing to take. I know guys who won't drive one mile an hour over the speed limit because it is illegal. I always volunteer to drive for these folks or I would end up shooting them from the passenger seat. Then there are guys who blast down the road from the rear end of one car to the rear end of the next. That would be me. :mrgreen: Sometimes I am just feeling awnry so I drive 5 MPH below the speed limit just to make people crazy. :tiphat: OOPS... I got off topic. What was the topic again? :biggrinjester: Oh crud...now I am going to get thrown in jail for being off topic. :shock:

03Lightningrocks

marksiwel wrote: The Sign is incorrect in some way but no one wants to test it
and
Some says "Concealed Means Concealed" implying they should just carry anyway
Then there are those who feel the need to call up the folks with signs that don't count and risk having them correct the situation by giving them lessons on how to properly deny me my right to carry. If the sign is not a 30:06 sign, my assumption is always that they don't want to forbid licensed carry. They are wanting to forbid armed robbers from bringing a gun to the robbery. I see no need to ask them if I am correct as the law already says I am.

SlowDave

Post by SlowDave »

Agree. And I appreciate that others may have different levels of risk they're willing to accept. (I'm a high risk guys also, LightningRocks.) What I don't like is when people hack on someone else's different level of risk tolerance. Whether I'm willing to walk past a 30.06 sign that is only in English, or whether I'm not willing to carry with one in the chamber, it's MY decision. Feel free to offer your opinion, but it's not really helpful to let me know that you think I'm an idiot. Fortunately, I don't really care about others' opinions, so not a big deal to me, I just think it generates a lot of uneccessary and unproductive friction. And I'll do my best to just offer my opinion and stop there.

This is a very good forum! Let's all keep it that way.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Allen City's PD has a sign that they are advising they will arrest anyone carrying, no exception. Under current CHL laws, PDs can't post 30.06 for public spaces. Only secured space of Police Station are off-limits. Do you dare entering City of Allen's PD and declare you are CHLer and you have a question?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ifanyonecan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ifanyonecan »

I agree with this. My thoughts on long gun OC were met with a ton of people telling me I'd be eating cement after about 30 seconds, even though it had been said several times that I'd never walk out with a shotgun without telling the police first so they're aware. As long as the police are aware I'm doing it and they know the law, there's no reason I would have a confrontation with which to deal.

03Lightningrocks

Beiruty wrote:Allen City's PD has a sign that they are advising they will arrest anyone carrying, no exception. Under current CHL laws, PDs can't post 30.06 for public spaces. Only secured space of Police Station are off-limits. Do you dare entering City of Allen's PD and declare you are CHLer and you have a question?
No...why on earth would I feel the need to announce I am a CHL? But I would walk right in there and pay for my alarm permit while armed. Well, unless they have a metal detector at the front door. In this case I would disarm to avoid the confrontation aspect of it all. No metal detector??? No Superman X-Ray vision??? I walk right past that sign.

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by marksiwel »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Allen City's PD has a sign that they are advising they will arrest anyone carrying, no exception. Under current CHL laws, PDs can't post 30.06 for public spaces. Only secured space of Police Station are off-limits. Do you dare entering City of Allen's PD and declare you are CHLer and you have a question?
No...why on earth would I feel the need to announce I am a CHL? But I would walk right in there and pay for my alarm permit while armed. Well, unless they have a metal detector at the front door. In this case I would disarm to avoid the confrontation aspect of it all. No metal detector??? No Superman X-Ray vision??? I walk right past that sign.
So can they DO that legally?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

03Lightningrocks

LOL...and here we go again! :crazy:

HankB

Post by HankB »

Aside from the disagreements about compliant/noncompliant PC30.06 signs, just review some of the threads regarding carry while intoxicated . . . while I haven't seen anyone advocate for DRUNKEN carry, some folks seem to think that if you sniff the cork from a bottle of wine while carrying you're in violation.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”