CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

TV Trash

Post by VoiceofReason »

I saw an advertisement on TV the other day for a new “show” that was going to be on about “Trailer Park” something or other. I don’t remember the name of the show because I didn’t pay much attention until something caught my eye. They had a cartoon showing a bunch of guns and one guy leaning out the window with a pistol.

What kind of trash is this? Would they do a show about big city people and promote it with a cartoon of a drive by shooting? Are people that live in trailer parks fair game now? :headscratch What's with the guns? :headscratch Are networks now competing to see which one can put on the worst trash?

I saw something a few years ago where some network was going to air a show “The Real Beverly Hillbillies”. They were going to take a family from Appalachia, put them in Beverly Hills, and film them trying to adapt. There was such a big uproar about it they scrapped the idea.

What’s with this trash and the idiots that run the networks? :mad5

Edit: Just had to vent folks. :lol:
Last edited by VoiceofReason on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 4

Re: TV Trash

Post by TLynnHughes »

:iagree:

We are continually questioning why we spend so much money for cable when every time we get a chance to watch TV, it's garbage. We have about 3 shows that we watch regularly....seems there has to be a cheaper way.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Whether TV, Cable, Satellite or even Radio, the amount of Ads is sickening. I am fed up listening to the same Ad million times a day, Same Debt relief, same Ad for that freaken loan that you need, how about 178 million. For God sake, on who is on the Radio listening needs 180 millions and will seek such advise from freaken Radio Ad? worst of all the disclaimers that are read at 10X normal speed.
Last edited by Beiruty on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MadMonkey »

TLynnHughes wrote::iagree:

We are continually questioning why we spend so much money for cable when every time we get a chance to watch TV, it's garbage. We have about 3 shows that we watch regularly....seems there has to be a cheaper way.

T.
*cough* download whatever shows you watch or watch them online unless you're an HD snob *cough*

;-)
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

MadMonkey wrote:

T.
*cough* download whatever shows you watch or watch them online unless you're an HD snob *cough*

;-)
"rlol" That's actually what we've been talking about.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomerang »

I'll pay for DSL but never saw any reason to pay for TV.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MadMonkey »

TLynnHughes wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:

T.

;-)
"rlol" That's actually what we've been talking about.

T.
I work night security so it's kind of a necessity for me "rlol"

I either download episodes and take them to work on a thumbdrive, or I download them to my laptop and take the whole thing!

Man, I've seen every episode of Lost, Entourage, 24, and a host of other shows... working on Star Trek, Whose Line is it Anyway, and a few others right now :anamatedbanana
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

MasterofFajitas

Post by MasterofFajitas »

My main gripe with television is the number of reality shows. It seems that no matter which channel you turn to, there are some "wannabes", or has beens screaming at each other. It's just about all trash...all the time.

Rant over....carry on.
October 19, 2009 Application Mailed
October 26, 2009 PIN issued
January 19, 2009 Application Completed - license issued
January 22, 2010 License In Hand

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Many times I have sung the praises of our NetFlix subscription. We watch very little TV, even the biased news makes me gag. With NetFlix, we can see all of the worthwhile old TV movies, series and programs without interruption when we want to see them as well as good movies, some of which, we never heard of.

I enjoy old HEE HAW reruns and Trains & Locomotives and some of the other older programs from when TV had a "10 year old daughter rule" on RFD TV. :smilelol5:

Back on point, if folk would turn off their TV's and not watch the trash, the producers and sponsors would find smething else to do.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Yes, people in trailer parks are fair game, as is anyone outside the "mainstream" as defined by the people who produce this garbage.

There is nothing on tv - I quit watching it. My wife watches some of the garbage and, to be in the same room with her, I turn off my hearing aid and prep brass. If she has something to say she waves, I turn it back on, listen to her, reply, turn it off, and prep brass. Or sort brass by weight, or prime brass, or powder charge / bullet seat - you get the picture.

There is an old saying that if you go into the jungle and catch a monkey, spray paint him green and turn him loose, the other monkeys will kill him. Nobody likes the green monkey, he is different. People who lack the financial resources and mindset to sue for defamation get roasted; it is human nature. Don't let it get to you. When you let them get your goat, all you get is high blood pressure - and they've got your goat.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

boomerang wrote:I'll pay for DSL but never saw any reason to pay for TV.
:iagree: The lady that took my cancellation order at Dish laughed uncontrolably when she asked why I cancelled and I told her because their commercial said "why pay more to get less"
And I was paying to get 120 channels, but my rooftop antenna gets over 150 channels, so I was just following their instructions. Additionally because my antenna gets lots of programming unavailable on dish, so i was really never using dish. ( I had cable prior to that, cancelled it too for lack of usage )
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BobCat wrote:Yes, people in trailer parks are fair game, as is anyone outside the "mainstream" as defined by the people who produce this garbage.

There is nothing on tv - I quit watching it. My wife watches some of the garbage and, to be in the same room with her, I turn off my hearing aid and prep brass. If she has something to say she waves, I turn it back on, listen to her, reply, turn it off, and prep brass. Or sort brass by weight, or prime brass, or powder charge / bullet seat - you get the picture.

There is an old saying that if you go into the jungle and catch a monkey, spray paint him green and turn him loose, the other monkeys will kill him. Nobody likes the green monkey, he is different. People who lack the financial resources and mindset to sue for defamation get roasted; it is human nature. Don't let it get to you. When you let them get your goat, all you get is high blood pressure - and they've got your goat.

Regards,
Andrew
Excellent reasoning!

I'm one of those who pays a lot of money for TV (Verizon FiOS), but there are a few advantages. For example, my wife loves watching the old shows like Dragnet, One Adam Twelve, and Perry Mason. Those are hard to find on the regular broadcast channels. She has her routine. She works her butt off on her business and around the house until Dragnet comes on. Then she lays down on the couch and relaxes for an hour or two while watching her shows. Then she gets back to whatever she's been working on. Sometimes we watch Judge Joe Brown together. Yeah, yeah, I know. I still get a kick out of him.

BTW, Judge Joe Brown is VERY pro second amendment. Just 2 or 3 weeks ago, in one of the cases appearing before him, the plaintiff and accused were from Texas, and the accused had apparently physically threatened the plaintiff (a woman) with a wuppin' if he didn't get what he wanted. Brown looked at her in disbelief and said, "WHY didn't you just get yourself a gun? This is TEXAS, for cryin' out loud! They understand their 2nd Amendment Rights down there! You could'a gotten yourself a .357 magnum, or a Remington 870..." and he went off on a short rant about all the good firearms choices she could have made. I was cracking up, because I had no idea he was pro RKBA. But the more I watch him, the more I appreciate his point of view. Turns out he is quite conservative. And he has no patience for people who mistreat anyone serving in the military.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Yeah I watched RTN/RTV a lot on FREE TV (Retro Network) http://www.myretrotv.com/shows.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it is the old shows, Jack Benny, Leave it to Beaver, Laredo, the Rifleman etc etc etc ... and I watch THIS network (FREE TV) movie channel and Retro shows a lot http://www.thistv.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I really like watching Bat Masterson every morning again and Bonanza and Gunsmoke on THIS etc ... I watch Mr. ED and Patty Duke with my 13 year old niece most mornings before taking her to school.

Another benefit of Antenna TV, I like to go fishing, I can watch weather channels from Austin, Waco, Belton/Temple/Killen, San Antonio, Victoria, College Station, Houston, San Angelo or Dallas/Fort Worth ... Cable and Dish only would tell me Austin's weather. Also handy when a storm is coming to know more info... Yeah I can get it online too .... but I like my remote control :mrgreen:

Plus, I couldn't watch the "LOCAL" NEWS from Austin, Waco, Belton/Temple/Killen, San Antonio, Victoria, College Station, Houston, San Angelo or Dallas/Fort Worth on Dish or Cable, only on an antenna.
I consider all those cities "LOCAL" Dish thinks only Austin is "local" and charges to get even SOME of those in Austin (not all)

ADDITIONALLY, Dish and Cable had just as many commercials, if not more ... When I cancelled I asked the lady why I'm subjected to infomercials when I was paying, I can watch those free if I want to. I don't mind hour long commercials on broadcast TV, I have a remote control ... but on PAY TV? 15 infomercial channels on Dish so they can offer 120 channels instead of only 105 (to compete with the 150 FREE antanna channels? Come one sheesh .

I was watching RTV (Retro Network mentioned above) one day with my Sister-in-law and her jaw dropped when June Cleaver told the Beaver "How did you think you'd get away with that, don't you know GOD sees everything?" Sis-in-law asked how to get that channel on her Dish TV at home so her 13 year old daughter would get that message instead of how to kiss other girls and men and be violent like the Dish TV shows had on.... I answered, "cancel Dish, but a rooftop antenna with a lot of Gain, a Preamplifier with a lot of Gain, and a rotator.... never pay a bill for TV again"
There are also new Broadcast "SPORTS" channels etc in some cities ... you can't get them on Dish or Cable, sorry. I'm not really a big sports watcher, I prefer to do rather than watch, but I can get all the San Antonio games "locally" but I live north of Austin, couldn't get them on Dish, even when PAYING EXTRA for "local" channel package ... "rlol" .

<Pulls out stopwatch to see how long this thread stays in General CHL Discussion, before getting moved to off topic section>
Last edited by RPB on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:06 am, edited 28 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

I feel like I have to speak up here. I have been in TV broadcasting for more than 35years. I am sure you understand that TV stations and radio stations derive almost all their income from sale of commercial time. The big buyers of commercial time of the past (car dealerships for example) are not buying so much. No one is. Those who have the money to spend appear to be the ones that offend you (me too sometimes) the most. TV stations until very recently, got no revenue from the cable companies who re-broadcast the signal. There is still a constant fight over how much satellites and cable must pay TV for the rights. The station I work for spent a HUGE amount of money to upgrade to digital signal because the feds told them they HAD TO. No bailout there. Also spent big bucks telling viewers about the move to digital, helping viewers make the move etc. Had to JUNK the old equipment regardless of how new it was.
I dont want to sound like whinning, but as a business, I expect TV will sell the commercials to them as has the money to buy them.
I should add that the cable and satellite channels have to sell ads too to survive. Those that do not are charging a per subscriber fee to the carrier. Who then charges YOU for it.
Use your mute button...................
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

I agree with the OP about the general quality and type of content. My solution is the off button. Much more satisfying than the mute button.

I do watch some TV when I'm on the road, but at home I don't watch cable or OTA anymore.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”