Are auto drag racing tracks considered off limits for CHLs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
propellerhead
Posts in topic: 6

Are auto drag racing tracks considered off limits for CHLs?

Post by propellerhead »

I plan on going to watch some car racing that the tv show PINKS has set up. The way it looks is it will be all amateur people racing their cars. Heck, I can take my daily driven car out there to race. No Jeff Gordons or Danika Patricks. Just regular Joes with their built up hobby cars shooting for a $10,000 prize.

http://www.texasmotorplex.com/news1.php?news_id=261

That doesn't fall under "professional sports event", does it?

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Are auto drag racing tracks considered off limits for CH

Post by txinvestigator »

propellerhead wrote:I plan on going to watch some car racing that the tv show PINKS has set up. The way it looks is it will be all amateur people racing their cars. Heck, I can take my daily driven car out there to race. No Jeff Gordons or Danika Patricks. Just regular Joes with their built up hobby cars shooting for a $10,000 prize.

http://www.texasmotorplex.com/news1.php?news_id=261

That doesn't fall under "professional sports event", does it?
IMO, it does not. Carry away.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kw5kw »

Is it a PROFESSIONAL event?
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I don't think so but I'm new to this. That's why I'm trying to get a feel for how others view this. There may be a cut and dry definition somewhere but it's always up to interpretation.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I would carry my gun.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

spud

Post by spud »

I goto Ennis and Sanger dragway alot and always carry. The only time I would thing that it might be a bad idea is when a NHRA drag event is going on.

I say carry on. I had tickets ready to goto Ennis to see that, But have to work :(

Madsmiley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Madsmiley »

Spent more than a few nights at HRP running my Mustangs..I never did carry..I asked the instructor about this during class and was given the reply that "any track that held organized events was off limits".There isnt any specifics about if any organized event is happening at that particular time..To me its a gray area,i however wont be the one pushing the issue.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Madsmiley wrote:I asked the instructor about this during class and was given the reply that "any track that held organized events was off limits".
Your instructor's answer is not found in the law.

As for whether or not racing is a "sporting event" under PC 46.035... who knows? A sport is a contest of physical abilities. Not to denigrate the incredible skill, reaction times, etc., of drivers, but I don't know that racing qualifies as a "sport". If it does, then Scrabble and poker and chess competitors who can remain mentally sharp over hours of play should also be called "athletes".

There isnt any specifics about if any organized event is happening at that particular time..To me its a gray area,i however wont be the one pushing the issue.
§ 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun ( . . . )
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

Doesn't seem that gray to me, other than any questions there might be about whether an event is a "sporting event". Also, you may have noticed that the law only addresses professional or school events; little league, amateur leagues, etc. (anything that is neither professional nor scholastic), are okay.

Kevin

Madsmiley

Post by Madsmiley »

KBCraig wrote:
Madsmiley wrote:I asked the instructor about this during class and was given the reply that "any track that held organized events was off limits".
Your instructor's answer is not found in the law.

As for whether or not racing is a "sporting event" under PC 46.035... who knows? A sport is a contest of physical abilities. Not to denigrate the incredible skill, reaction times, etc., of drivers, but I don't know that racing qualifies as a "sport". If it does, then Scrabble and poker and chess competitors who can remain mentally sharp over hours of play should also be called "athletes".

There isnt any specifics about if any organized event is happening at that particular time..To me its a gray area,i however wont be the one pushing the issue.
§ 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun ( . . . )
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

Doesn't seem that gray to me, other than any questions there might be about whether an event is a "sporting event". Also, you may have noticed that the law only addresses professional or school events; little league, amateur leagues, etc. (anything that is neither professional nor scholastic), are okay.

Kevin
Please continue reading before making offhand remarks..Thanks :roll:

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption
On premises of a correctional facility
On the physical premises of a school, an educational institution, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or an educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,
On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event
On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.
racetrack; secured area of an airport

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I checked the CHL laws and saw the reference to a "racetrack" under 46.03. It doesn't specify what type of racing. But I did find this:
(15) "Racetrack" has the meaning assigned that term by the Texas Racing Act (Article 179e, Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes).
And if you Google the Texas Racing Act, you'll find it starts off with:
Sec. 1.02. The purpose of this Act is to provide for the strict regulation of horse racing and greyhound racing and the control of pari-mutuel wagering in connection with that racing.

Madsmiley

Post by Madsmiley »

propellerhead wrote:I checked the CHL laws and saw the reference to a "racetrack" under 46.03. It doesn't specify what type of racing. But I did find this:
(15) "Racetrack" has the meaning assigned that term by the Texas Racing Act (Article 179e, Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes).
And if you Google the Texas Racing Act, you'll find it starts off with:
Sec. 1.02. The purpose of this Act is to provide for the strict regulation of horse racing and greyhound racing and the control of pari-mutuel wagering in connection with that racing.
Thats a new additon then and Im glad theyve made a distinction..At the time I took the class it didnt specify.Common sense would imply that it was at races where organized gambeling would take place,but it really did need to be defined better..Good,next time I head to HRP I will carry then.. :cool:

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Madsmiley wrote:
KBCraig wrote: § 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

Kevin
Please continue reading before making offhand remarks..Thanks :roll:

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption
On premises of a correctional facility
On the physical premises of a school, an educational institution, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or an educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,
On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event
On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.
racetrack; secured area of an airport
So, Madsmiley, just what portion of your post refutes mine? What prompts the eye-rolling? We posted essentially the same thing, except my post was abbreviated to the address the discussion at hand: "professional sporting events".

Do you think that the "racetrack" on your last line refers to auto racing? If so, you're mistaken; "racetrack" is clearly defined as those places where pari-mutuel betting takes place under the auspices of the Texas Racing Commission. In other words, horse tracks and dog tracks.

This is not a new addition to the law. Your instructor may not have addressed the difference, but that's a separate matter.

Kevin

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Pinks is not a professional event, however there have been some racers that compete in porfessional levels - that race on pinks.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KBCraig wrote: So, Madsmiley, just what portion of your post refutes mine? What prompts the eye-rolling? We posted essentially the same thing, except my post was abbreviated to the address the discussion at hand: "professional sporting events".

Do you think that the "racetrack" on your last line refers to auto racing? If so, you're mistaken; "racetrack" is clearly defined as those places where pari-mutuel betting takes place under the auspices of the Texas Racing Commission. In other words, horse tracks and dog tracks.

This is not a new addition to the law. Your instructor may not have addressed the difference, but that's a separate matter.

Kevin
Darn skippy. Been that way since the CHL laws were enacted.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Well, I carried at the event. No incidents. Nothing to report. :)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”