New online CHL application & procedures

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

txcshooter
Posts in topic: 3

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by txcshooter »

txtaxman wrote:
txcshooter wrote: My wife's original CHL expired in Nov '14. She would now like to carry again. My question is, will she be able just to do a renewal or will she have to start over with a new LTC. I do know that she will need to have her digital prints done, since that's what I was required to do when I renewed. I just tried entering her info on the renewal side of the DPS website but was told she is not in the system. YIKES!!
Since her license expired more than 1 year ago, she will have to start all over, take the class, pay the full fee, and submit fingerprints.
Yup, that's what I figured. :???: Thanks txtaxman. :tiphat: Would you happen to know how much the classes cost now and how long is the class, 6 hrs?
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

txtaxman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txtaxman »

txcshooter wrote: Yup, that's what I figured. :???: Thanks txtaxman. :tiphat: Would you happen to know how much the classes cost now and how long is the class, 6 hrs?
The cost of a class is set by the instructor. LTC Classes are required to be 4 to 6 hours plus the time on the firing range.
Lamar County

timsatx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by timsatx »

GlassG19 wrote:
tonygz88 wrote:Hi everyone! Sure am glad I found this forum, lots of good info. I completed my class 2 weeks ago and submitted my CHL-100 and fingerprints about a week and a half ago. Today I read on the checklist to submit my DD-214 (somehow missed that) Do you think it will cause a problem that I submitted them separately? I'm hoping to see status updates by the end of the month. Super pumped about being able to carry here.

When I did my renewal I submitted all the documents including my DD-214. Lo and behold, I shortly received a letter telling me I had to either send them the copy of the DD-214 or pay the remaining amount owed. I sent it to them but they obviously don't seem to use all information sent to them online as they say to do.

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

txtaxman wrote:
txcshooter wrote: Yup, that's what I figured. :???: Thanks txtaxman. :tiphat: Would you happen to know how much the classes cost now and how long is the class, 6 hrs?
The cost of a class is set by the instructor. LTC Classes are required to be 4 to 6 hours plus the time on the firing range.

Sounds good, thank you sir. :tiphat:
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

dustin807
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dustin807 »

Thanks. I have my first renewal coming up in October. Not sure if I want to apply online, but glad to know it's an option.

Texbow

Post by Texbow »

The short amount of time it took my wife to receive her LTC (classroom to card in hand) is amazing. Less than 3 weeks. I think my original CHL took nearly 6 months. The great state of Texas has got this nailed down now. Someone deserves a pat on the back.

stroo

Post by stroo »

My son is applying for a LTC and has a couple of questions.

We can't get into the DPS site to fill out an application. Is the site down?

Second, he is going to college in Arkansas but his residency is still at home in Texas. Which address should he use for his mailing address - his home address or his college address? I would think his home address.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

stroo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 am My son is applying for a LTC and has a couple of questions.

Second, he is going to college in Arkansas but his residency is still at home in Texas. Which address should he use for his mailing address - his home address or his college address? I would think his home address.
The site is experiencing temporary, outages, I know it was down over the weekend. I was able to get on a few minutes ago.

If he still keeps his Texas DL. with the home address, on it, he can use that.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

stroo

Post by stroo »

Thanks.

We have been able to get on the site but when we try to go to the application, we can't get to the application. Guess he will have to just keep trying. Thanks again.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

stroo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 am My son is applying for a LTC and has a couple of questions.

He can only maintain legal residency in one state. If he's going to school registered as an Arkansas resident he'll need to apply for his Texas license as a non resident. If he already has his AR permit it should help streamline the process.

If he's going to maintain his Texas residency then he should apply as a resident but it would be advisable to also pick up a non non resident AR permit as well if they allow for same.

Either way he'll need to stay well versed on the laws of both states and of course be informed of the laws in any other states he carries in via reciprocity.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:04 pm

He can only maintain legal residency in one state. If he's going to school registered as an Arkansas resident he'll need to apply for his Texas license as a non resident. If he already has his AR permit it should help streamline the process.

If he's going to maintain his Texas residency then he should apply as a resident but it would be advisable to also pick up a non non resident AR permit as well if they allow for same.

Either way he'll need to stay well versed on the laws of both states and of course be informed of the laws in any other states he carries in via reciprocity.
Stroo stated he was keeping his Texas residency, so he will apply for a Texas LTC. Arkansas honors the Texas LTC, so no need for an Arkansas license, which he can't get anyway as they only issue to Active Duty Military and their Spouses as non-residents.

As for the address, his legal address is Texas, so use it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Keith B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:30 pm
WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Stroo stated he was keeping his Texas residency, so he will apply for a Texas LTC. Arkansas honors the Texas LTC, so no need for an Arkansas license, which he can't get anyway as they only issue to Active Duty Military and their Spouses as non-residents.

I got all of that. A lot of people will maintain residency in both states under such a circumstance just because of the difference between the cost of in and out of state tuition and do so by establishing an off campus address in the state where going to school but while maintaining their home state's DL and voter registration.

With LTC, that can get you into serious trouble where it's not a huge deal with a DL.

It's always a good idea to maintain a permit in more than one state if for no other reason than the simple fact you can lose a wallet that your regular permit is carried in or have it stolen.

Just making sure he's aware of both issues and of course the importance of understanding the laws in both states relative to carry and use of force.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

stroo

Post by stroo »

My son is going to a private Christian college in Arkansas so there is no issue of instate versus out of state tuition. It just costs every student a ridiculous amount of money!

It is a good issue to remember though. Thanks.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 pm

I got all of that. A lot of people will maintain residency in both states under such a circumstance just because of the difference between the cost of in and out of state tuition and do so by establishing an off campus address in the state where going to school but while maintaining their home state's DL and voter registration.

With LTC, that can get you into serious trouble where it's not a huge deal with a DL.

It's always a good idea to maintain a permit in more than one state if for no other reason than the simple fact you can lose a wallet that your regular permit is carried in or have it stolen.

Just making sure he's aware of both issues and of course the importance of understanding the laws in both states relative to carry and use of force.
I am very familiar with college tuition and in-state vs out-of-state residency. There is no way to maintain legal residency in two states that I am aware of. Even with an off-campus address, you are only a resident of the state you came from unless you rescind that states residency and establish legal residency in the state where you are going to school. We had to emancipate our daughter so she could establish in-state residency in Missouri when she was going to Mizzou. She was no longer a Texas resident, and had a Missouri driver license and a Missouri residence address. She also had to work XXX hours over the summer between her freshman and sophomore years to be considered an resident per the university.

As for Arkansas State, they waive the non-resident fees for Texas residents, so there is no need to establish an Arkansas residency and give up the Texas resident status to avoid non-resident tuition costs.

As for losing your license, another state license would be a plus, but if you had it in your wallet as well, then it would also be gone. In this case, as I stated, Arkansas doesn't issue a non-resident license unless you are active duty military or or a spouse.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Keith B wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:38 am
WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 pm

I am very familiar with college tuition and in-state vs out-of-state residency. There is no way to maintain legal residency in two states that I am aware of. Even with an off-campus address, you are only a resident of the state you came from unless you rescind that states residency and establish legal residency in the state where you are going to school. We had to emancipate our daughter so she could establish in-state residency in Missouri when she was going to Mizzou. She was no longer a Texas resident, and had a Missouri driver license and a Missouri residence address. She also had to work XXX hours over the summer between her freshman and sophomore years to be considered an resident per the university.

As for Arkansas State, they waive the non-resident fees for Texas residents, so there is no need to establish an Arkansas residency and give up the Texas resident status to avoid non-resident tuition costs.

As for losing your license, another state license would be a plus, but if you had it in your wallet as well, then it would also be gone. In this case, as I stated, Arkansas doesn't issue a non-resident license unless you are active duty military or or a spouse.
I'm aware of what the law states and I'm also aware of how many people have done it in the past.

All you need to establish residency in another state is to get an off campus address and meet the time requirements after doing so.

The point of having a second LTC would be to keep it in another location than the same wallet with your primary. When I travel I keep a second wallet in my luggage with my pocket passport, TX ID, and UT permit.

Lose either yon them and you still have a backup.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”