Clothing Choices

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 2

Clothing Choices

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

As a frequent visitor and sometimes poster on several of the Gun Forums, I have noticed an interesting trend among posters. That being, the frequent mention of CC clothing...

It seems a large number of gun people say they are wearing Shorts and T-Shirts... I'm beginning to think this is an "East of I-35 Texas Thing", since that part of the country has a lot of urban areas.

My travels and living in the Western part of Texas have rarely seen anyone wearing Shorts and T-Shirts in warmer weather. In the Farming and Ranching areas, people are wearing Wranglers or Levis and generally western shirts. A few will wear a shirt un-tucked, (e.g., T-Shirt with Jeans). When people in these parts see someone wearing Shorts...they think "Tourist" or "Traveler". Of course, I'll have to exclude the UPS, FedEx, and USPS employees who will wear Uniform Shorts in the summer.

Comments, anyone? Inquiring Minds Want to Know...lol.
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

The Annoyed Man

Re: Clothing Choices

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It breathes. You can conceal anything from a derringer to a sawed off 12 gauge.

...and there's plenty of room for a Smart Carry if you still feel the need.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Teamless »

Yes, I am East of I-35 (Houston area) and being in Houston, I do live in an urban area.
At any chance I get after work, I take off my blue jeans or dockers and put on shorts and a T-Shirt.
Or if it is date night with my wife, its shorts and a golf shirt (tucked or untucked - but untucked is my comfort preference)
Simple as that, why be hot and bothered with clingy clothes if you do not need it
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

USA1

Post by USA1 »

It's not the heat it's the humidity...and also the heat. ;-)

Around here the humidity is in the 90% range most days in the summer.
Combine that with 95+ degree temps and that's why I wear shorts 95% of the time.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

budroux2w
Posts in topic: 3

Post by budroux2w »

One reason that jeans are popular out in west Texas is to protect the farmers and rancer's skin. EVERYTHING has thorns in west Texas, plus sun burns hurt. When I lived out there I wore mostly jeans.
NRA Life Member

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

I try to dress like the guy on the cover of the 5.11 catalog - works well in the city, rural not so much.

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

budroux2w wrote:One reason that jeans are popular out in west Texas is to protect the farmers and rancer's skin. EVERYTHING has thorns in west Texas, plus sun burns hurt. When I lived out there I wore mostly jeans.
Noticed in your signature you mailed your packette in 2019 Time fly's when your having fun! No wonder I have a new wrinkle I am 9 years older than I thought I was. :smilelol5:
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:Comments, anyone? Inquiring Minds Want to Know...lol.
Bedouin protect their skin from the sun for a reason.

budroux2w
Posts in topic: 3

Post by budroux2w »

seniorshooteress wrote:
budroux2w wrote:One reason that jeans are popular out in west Texas is to protect the farmers and rancer's skin. EVERYTHING has thorns in west Texas, plus sun burns hurt. When I lived out there I wore mostly jeans.
Noticed in your signature you mailed your packette in 2019 Time fly's when your having fun! No wonder I have a new wrinkle I am 9 years older than I thought I was. :smilelol5:
HAHA!! Thanks for pointing that out.
NRA Life Member

BLG

Post by BLG »

I live in dallas Co. between I35W and I35E. I wear blue jeans and a t-shirt or sports shirt.

In fact, nothing is more comfortable than an old pair of wranglers........but my wife insists on the wranglers anyway! :lol::

JAguirre

Post by JAguirre »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:As a frequent visitor and sometimes poster on several of the Gun Forums, I have noticed an interesting trend among posters. That being, the frequent mention of CC clothing...

It seems a large number of gun people say they are wearing Shorts and T-Shirts... I'm beginning to think this is an "East of I-35 Texas Thing", since that part of the country has a lot of urban areas.

My travels and living in the Western part of Texas have rarely seen anyone wearing Shorts and T-Shirts in warmer weather. In the Farming and Ranching areas, people are wearing Wranglers or Levis and generally western shirts. A few will wear a shirt un-tucked, (e.g., T-Shirt with Jeans). When people in these parts see someone wearing Shorts...they think "Tourist" or "Traveler". Of course, I'll have to exclude the UPS, FedEx, and USPS employees who will wear Uniform Shorts in the summer.

Comments, anyone? Inquiring Minds Want to Know...lol.

I grew up and lived south of Big Spring (18 yr) and lived in Odessa (2 yr) before living in Austin, San Antonio, and now Houston. You are correct in your observation that the attire is different in the urban areas as opposed to West Texas, but I do remember seeing alot of younger people wearing shorts and T-shirts in Odessa when I went to visit last summer. I think the difference in attire is due to what people do for a living, where they live, and whats in "style", and of course the heat and humidity.

There are a lot of people who work in the agricultural and gas and oil industries. I would venture to say the majority of these people are going to lean towards western attire as opposed to Khakis and a Polo shirt.

So then the precedent has been set, and the western attire is in style, and more people follow and keep Wood's Boots and Pee Wee Dalton's in business.

In West Texas the temp may be 103 with 5% relative humidity. I would be ok wearing my Tony Lama's, Cinch Jeans, and straw Stetson. However the same temp in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston will likely be accompanied by 80% relative humidty. The combination of heat and humidty make it uncomfortable to wear the same things in a humid climate than in a dry heat climate. I have and will be wearing khaki shorts and polo shirts all summer, when I can, at least. Then, when it cools off, I will go back to wearing my boots and jeans everyday.

I hope this answers your question...I have a unique perspective having lived in both parts of the state.

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

I live in the Houston area. I wear a suit and tie everyday downtown, but evenings and weekends I normally have cargo shorts, with an untucked polo, hiking boots, or hiking shoes. (I am a little bit of a hiker/camper/geocacher (don't ask, it is so fun with the kids) I am in a park or state forrest all the time.

I went camping last weekend, and it was shorts, hiking boots, and untucked tshirt. I guess you could call my "style" urban outdoor, but ready for the woods.

I don't know how to say it, but I just will. I dress a bit preppy and un-tactical as to not draw attention to the fact that I am carrying.

I probably do look like a tourist outside of urban areas.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

Grammy

Post by Grammy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Image

It breathes. You can conceal anything from a derringer to a sawed off 12 gauge.

...and there's plenty of room for a Smart Carry if you still feel the need.
That's funny, I don't care who you are... :cool:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always depend on the support of Paul.

driver8

Post by driver8 »

Hawaiian shirts aren't really my style but I have been wearing them anyway because as we all know you have to "dress around the gun". Every time we have gone to Hawaii I bought 1 or 2 Hawaiian shirts and now I'm finally putting them to good use. Besides when I get them all worn out I'll have to go back and get some more.

Topic author
Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Good valid responses everyone! I too lived in Tarrant & Parker Counties for about 10 years. I do not miss the humidity at all!!! LOL. In our area our "normal" hot weather humidity is around 20 to 35%. We have had several days with 3% to 10% humidity AND extreme fire danger days. I can take 90 to 100 deg temps with low humidity anyday, even if just for a short time.

I wear all cotton shirts and Wranglers. Being around barbwire, stickers, and other stuff to "nick" you with (have brought blood a numer of times...lol), the heavy cotton clothes are more protective and cooler.

Someone once said that West Texas is where everything either "bites, stings, or has stickers and the wind blows all the time". :mrgreen:
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”