Businesses that prohibit CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Flatland2D »

I would be in favor of something like this, but I'm wondering how it would be implemented. It couldn't be one long thread of businesses (like this one) because you couldn't organize it or confirm other's obersavtions easily. It sounds like you'd need someone to write code that'd be able to do those two things. Having one person manually in charge of updating the list would be way too much work.

You might be able to work with the forum software as it is. What about creating another forum with all major texas cities or geographical areas as categories. Each post in the forums would be titled with the business that prohibits licensed concealed handguns. That way it'd be easy for people to follow up to other posts, and they'd automatically be dated. For example, in the Houston forum you might find a post that says "Joe's Jewelry Store at Main St and 1st St". The post would then contain details about the 30.06 sign, such as if it was compliant.

Just throwing out ideas.

Commander
Posts in topic: 7

TSRA Card

Post by Commander »

Thanks for the info on the card. I'll make my own as well.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hirundo82 »

Well, since ots of people have been saying which hospitals are posted, I might as well add a few in Houston.

Ben Taub General Hospital is not posted. Neither is Quentin Meese Hospital. Does anyone know if this is the case with all of the Harris County Hospital District Hospitals?

Memorial Hermann and Methodist in the Texas Medical Center are posted with non-30.06-compliant signs--both say something along the lines of "State law prohibits possession of a concealed handgun on these premises."

Texas Children's Hospital is posted with 30.06-compliant signs at all the entrances I have seen. Be aware that the one on the main entrance to the West Tower is easy to miss--it is partially behind a pillar to the right of the entrance. I was specifically looking and I missed it on my first time there, since I was coming from a direction which blocked my view of the sign.

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

I was at a UPS distribution center today mailing some packages and noticed they had posted completely legal 30.06 sings in English and Spanish. Is it normal for other mail carriers to post 30.06 signs? I know carrying in a post office isn't allowed, but why does UPS think they can do the same?

This was at the UPS Store (and distribution center) near Bandera and Eckhert in San Antonio.

TxFire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxFire »

Well UPS can do the same if they want to exclude CHL's. That is their right.

I was at Firewheel Town Center in Garland today and the only sign I noticed was at I believe Kay Jewlers. It was in both Englis and Spanish, but was not where near 30.06 compliant. I will try to get the text or a picture.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

UPS here has a ghost buster sign on the front window. I just used them to send a Kel-Tec back to factory. I will be receiving it back in a few days. Will be talking to them tomorrow. Hope the subject [abbreviated profanity deleted] do you have one on you never comes up. I need them quit often.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Flatland2D wrote: I know carrying in a post office isn't allowed, but why does UPS think they can do the same?
That issue is at debate here. ;) :leaving
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

TxFire wrote:Well UPS can do the same if they want to exclude CHL's. That is their right.

I was at Firewheel Town Center in Garland today and the only sign I noticed was at I believe Kay Jewlers. It was in both Englis and Spanish, but was not where near 30.06 compliant. I will try to get the text or a picture.
There are plenty of other reasons not to shop at Kay jewlers besides their (non compliant) sign. While shopping for my fianceé's ring, I got the hard sell put on me. Being a sales guy myself, there's nothing I hate more.
Go see the guys at Nasir Jewlers instead.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

TxFire wrote:Well UPS can do the same if they want to exclude CHL's. That is their right.
I guess what I was really asking was is there a reason they have to post, or are they just being anti? I was wondering if for some reason all mail centers would have to disallow firearms, or just USPS. I take it posting a sign was their personal decision.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

It is personal decision. Don't know if it is coorp execs or local decision. UPS ships firearms. I will give a report on the response to my talk w/ them today. All the difficulty I have had w/ Kel_Tec over my P3AT I look for it to be shipped w/o notifying me that it is on the way.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

nitrogen wrote:
TxFire wrote:.
Go see the guys at Nasir Jewlers instead.
I agree. They come highly reccomended from friends for thier prices and service. But more importantly here, they are at least somewhat gun friendly as I believe twice they have used handguns in protection of their lives and assets during an armed robbery attempt. I looked but could not find the story. One was recent.

I just try to stay out of ALL jewelry stores for other reasons. :mrgreen:

DMoses

Post by DMoses »

txinvestigator wrote:
Flatland2D wrote: I know carrying in a post office isn't allowed, but why does UPS think they can do the same?
That issue is at debate here. ;) :leaving

Forgive my ignorrance but where can I find where the law states that you cant carry in a "post office"? Is it because all PO's are posted with a 30.06 sign or am I missing something obvious here?

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

I'm no expert but I believe it's because post offices are federal property, and a state issued license can't give you permission to carry on federal ground.

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

I seem to recall reading at some point that carrying in the portion of the Post Office where personal boxes were accessed, was permissible, but not into the customer service portion where you deal with a clerk. I am sorry but I cannot recall where I saw this information. I would expect that the exclusion on the customer service area is justifiied by the presence of the clerks. Although, my recollection is that of the shootings in PO buildings almost all have been employees, not customers.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Flatland2D wrote:I'm no expert but I believe it's because post offices are federal property, and a state issued license can't give you permission to carry on federal ground.
It is my opinion that Federal Law allows a person to carry on PO property for "lawful purposes". Carrying under a CHL is a "lawful purpose"
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”