Spanish translation on 30.06 sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 1

Spanish translation on 30.06 sign

Post by BrianSW99 »

After reading some of of the other recent threads regarding 30.06 signs, a question just occurred to me. If it was the intent of the legislature that the wording of the 30.06 sign must meet the exact language specified in the statute, and that it must contain both english and spanish, why did they not include the spanish translation of it within the statute? It's often the case when translating from one language to another that different translators will use slightly different words or phrases to mean the same thing.

Brian

macavity

Re: Spanish translation on 30.06 sign

Post by macavity »

-removed by user-
Last edited by macavity on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

They only should have it in English or have it in all languages. If you accommodate one then accommodate all.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Justin Franklin

Post by Justin Franklin »

I'm sure the Spanish requirement was put in there to win a legislator's vote.
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

Justin CHL wrote:I'm sure the Spanish requirement was put in there to win a legislator's vote.
That gets me started on a pet-peeve of mine. [Hijack!]

I don't think government (any level) monies should be spent to produce signs, literature or translators for languages other than English. We should stick to English in the course of "public" intercourse and not contribute to divisiveness.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

macavity wrote:Wait... are you expecting our legislators to be perfect? "rlol"

I don't remember what thread it was in and I can't find it via searching, but someone else asked and I don't think there anyone knew why.
:iagree:
They rarely get it right in English and now you want them to get it right in Spanish, too? Don't hold your breath. ;-)
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

elwood blooz

Post by elwood blooz »

Purplehood wrote:
Justin CHL wrote:I'm sure the Spanish requirement was put in there to win a legislator's vote.

I don't think government (any level) monies should be spent to produce signs, literature or translators for languages other than English. We should stick to English in the course of "public" intercourse and not contribute to divisiveness.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Purplehood wrote:

GOOD POINT! The reduction in the state's deficit of $18-24 Billion (?) will come in bits and pieces. The savings won't be found in one lump somewhere.

Like front license plates, how much does duplicate signage cost the state?

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

30.06 signs are only directed at CHLs, right?

How many Texas CHL holders speak only Spanish?

I bet none
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

Oldgringo wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

GOOD POINT! The reduction in the state's deficit of $18-24 Billion (?) will come in bits and pieces. The savings won't be found in one lump somewhere.

Front license plates serve a purpose. They're an effective radar and laser reflector. Excellent for ensuring the revenue return at speed traps.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

jordanmills wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

Front license plates serve a purpose. They're an effective radar and laser reflector. Excellent for ensuring the revenue return at speed traps.
What is funny is that that may actually be a part of the rationale for the requirement...just saying.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Oldgringo wrote:Like front license plates, how much does duplicate signage cost the state?
Not to mention it screws up the aero and costs us in fuel mileage. ;-)
Oh, and they are ugly. We don't use them.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

suthdj wrote:They only should have it in English or have it in all languages. If you accommodate one then accommodate all.
I have yet to see it in Korean, nor Vietnamese, etc, in southwest Houston, nor in German in Fredericksburg or New Braunfels ... at least I don't think I have.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I like it! It makes the sign even bigger and uglier further discouraging its use. :leaving
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

txmatt

Post by txmatt »

Dragonfighter wrote:I like it! It makes the sign even bigger and uglier further discouraging its use. :leaving

Dragonfighter has it right. It doubles the size of the sign making it even less convenient for people to post. I don't see why any CHL would complain about that.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”