70%

Total votes: 119

Topic author
LongHairedRedneck
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Poll: OWB or IWB carry stats

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

Still holding steady at nearly 3:1
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

Another thing that might prove interesting is to see how many OWBers are seasoned CHLers (carry everyday/everywhere for a a year or more...or something like that).

I would bet that most OWBers have been carrying longer and more often than most IWBers and do not have the common fears of printing and bulging.

Just an unedumacated guess and I could be WAY off.

cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cubbyjg »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Another thing that might prove interesting is to see how many OWBers are seasoned CHLers (carry everyday/everywhere for a a year or more...or something like that).

I would bet that most OWBers have been carrying longer and more often than most IWBers and do not have the common fears of printing and bulging.

:iagree: That was me when i first got the license!
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

elwood blooz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by elwood blooz »

cougartex wrote:OWB, never liked IWB.
:iagree:

dubya
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dubya »

There you go assuming. Some of us like to tuck our shirts in. :tiphat:
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I have always (ok, always for me is only 9 months and not all that long) carried IWB, as I don't want to always wear a cover jacket or vest, I like to just throw on a Tshirt or golf shirt and was afraid when I first thought about carrying that it might get exposed, so having only the grip showing, if my shirt comes up, is less to hide or people to see, than a full weapon or holster.

That being said, I have, lately, thought about carrying OWB.

From what all I have read on this forum, and from some of the photos of holsters and on bodies, I believe I could carry OWB, with a Tshirt or golf shirt, without wearing a coat or vest. However it does take the right holster.
With that however, poses another problem. I know a good holster does not come cheap, and I definitely do not want to try OWB with a cheapy holster that will not hold the weapon high and tight. But I do not want to go through more than 1 good holster, so I have to find the right one, the first time. I simply don't have $100 after $100 to find the one that works for me.

So how does one know what the right holster is for OWB for themselves (other than trial and error)?
(yes, I always use my Crossbreed Gun Belt)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I have an array of carry rigs, from duty to off duty, ankle, owb, iwb, pocket...

I picked owb because it's my preference, but I carry many different ways depending on my situation.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

since I carry a revolver while in my work clothes, I spend a majority of my time carrying OWB. When on "my time", I prefer to carry semi-autos IWB, but only for greater ease of concealment. For sheer comfort and accessability, I prefer OWB though.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Another thing that might prove interesting is to see how many OWBers are seasoned CHLers (carry everyday/everywhere for a a year or more...or something like that).

I don't think you're way off, nor do I take the negative connotation of you "assuming" (cause we all know what happens when you make an assumption! :lol::).
That being said,

I, however, have been with CHL (now entitled a CPL) for ~5years, which started out almost entirely OWB, and then actually progressed to IWB more and more.

now, considering the weather up here, going from simply pulling up a shirt, to having to deal with a coat/jacket too, I'm reconciling back to OWB. Guess I'm just fluid that way!
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

DONT TREAD ON ME

dubya wrote:
There you go assuming. Some of us like to tuck our shirts in. :tiphat:
That is why I said most OWBers and not all. Also, at the end of my statement I said it was an uneducated guess and I could be way off.

cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cubbyjg »

Teamless wrote: With that however, poses another problem. I know a good holster does not come cheap, and I definitely do not want to try OWB with a cheapy holster that will not hold the weapon high and tight. But I do not want to go through more than 1 good holster, so I have to find the right one, the first time. I simply don't have $100 after $100 to find the one that works for me.

So how does one know what the right holster is for OWB for themselves (other than trial and error)?
(yes, I always use my Crossbreed Gun Belt)
I started with a standard desantis thumb break scabbard and then eventually chopped the thumb break off. You can get one with out it though. I like the scabbard model because it has three belt slots so you can wear it with a cant or straight up and down. Plus you can usually find desantis holsters at major gun shops. I saw them at the arms room last time i went which is in your neck of the woods. If it doesnt work, you can always return it. I just ordered a mitch rosen UPL express and i should receive it in a couple of weeks.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

cubbyjg, thanks!
I'll check out The Arms Room.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
LongHairedRedneck
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

For OWB I like my De Santis Mini Slide Belt Holster
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

DONT TREAD ON ME

My first, and only, OWB was the Galco Combat Master (65ish at a gun show) and I have been using it ever since. It has the open top, is comfortable and retains the weapon great with a smooth draw.

redlin67

Post by redlin67 »

I have an OWB Don Hume for my PT111. It does not have a thumb retention but the gun stays in very well. I wear it at about 2:30 to 2:45 and it blends in very well with my middle age bulge (fits perfectly between my gut and love handles). The only time anyone can even notice a bulge is when I sit, and even then, only the printing of the grips are slightly visable. Kinda resembles a cell phone print. I bought a cheap IWB just to check out how it looked, and I hate it. Strange looking bulges no matter where I tried to put it and it just felt strange shoved down my pants. Looked strange also. :smilelol5:
Taurus PT111
Ruger LCP

5/26/10 Plastic

To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage.
Confucius

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”