Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

der Teufel
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: In the vicinity of Austin

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#16

Post by der Teufel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm not at all sure this is universal, but I recently visited Camp Mabry, which is a National Guard base in Austin. When I went through the gate we all had to show identification, and I handed over my driver's license and CHL. The security guard asked if I had a weapon, and I responded that I did not. He told me that I could bring a weapon onto the base, but that I must declare it, and leave it in the car. I couldn't bring a firearm into any buildings nor (apparently) even wander around outside while carrying. I didn't have to leave it at home, though. Checking the base procedures sounds like a good idea.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4684
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#17

Post by ScottDLS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:07 pm

der Teufel wrote:I'm not at all sure this is universal, but I recently visited Camp Mabry, which is a National Guard base in Austin. When I went through the gate we all had to show identification, and I handed over my driver's license and CHL. The security guard asked if I had a weapon, and I responded that I did not. He told me that I could bring a weapon onto the base, but that I must declare it, and leave it in the car. I couldn't bring a firearm into any buildings nor (apparently) even wander around outside while carrying. I didn't have to leave it at home, though. Checking the base procedures sounds like a good idea.
Isn't Camp Mabry a State Guard facility? If so, you would be legal to carry with your CHL. Maybe the guard was thinking of MPA in telling you to leave it in your car.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

The Mad Moderate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Marble Falls

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#18

Post by The Mad Moderate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have shot a 20mm "machine gun". Made the 50 cals on the ship look like pipsqueaks and was LOTS more fun. Single barrel, 650+ rounds per minute. What a blast!! Armor piercing tracers, high explosive incendiary, all kinds of fun rounds made for that thing........ :thumbs2: As a matter of fact, that's me in my avatar, just before rockin' and rollin'......Those were the days! :patriot: :txflag: :fire
:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot


Crosstimbers Okie
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO USA

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#19

Post by Crosstimbers Okie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 am

Each installation is slightly different depending on what the commander whats. Outright prohibitions are impossible though. Federal law in Title 10 USC requires that all rifle ranges paid for with government funds be open to the public.
Teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted; be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders.-Jerry VanCook

User avatar

maxlib
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#20

Post by maxlib » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:00 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have shot a 20mm "machine gun". Made the 50 cals on the ship look like pipsqueaks and was LOTS more fun. Single barrel, 650+ rounds per minute. What a blast!! Armor piercing tracers, high explosive incendiary, all kinds of fun rounds made for that thing........ :thumbs2: As a matter of fact, that's me in my avatar, just before rockin' and rollin'......Those were the days! :patriot: :txflag: :fire
You should shoot the 25mm chain gun that ships are equipped with now. What a blast! I liked the M2 .50 cal, but now they have dual .50 cals. What a difference 5 years away from sea duty brings. I would have liked to see a crew served version of the CIWS (Close In Weapon System) which is the last line in the layered Air Defense System. Basically a 20mm phalanx six barreled Gatling gun with it's own RADAR and Processor. Could you imagine sending just one burst of that baby at a Somali pirate skiff?
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway

User avatar

OldCannon
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am
Location: Pflugerville, TX (Between a Rock and a Weird Place)

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#21

Post by OldCannon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 am

Be careful, at many federal military installations, even AMMUNITION in your car can open you up to some serious questioning and detention at some bases. Too many people think state laws apply, but when you drive onto a federal military base, it's no different than entering another country in many cases (border patrols, ID checks at entry areas, etc.).

One thing I would strongly suggest: If you are entering a facility that even bans ammo, and you THINK you might have loose ammo in the vehicle, tell the gate security people your situation and ask them to inspect/approve your vehicle for entry.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2652
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#22

Post by G26ster » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:35 am

lonewolf wrote:I have shot a 20mm "machine gun". Made the 50 cals on the ship look like pipsqueaks and was LOTS more fun. Single barrel, 650+ rounds per minute. What a blast!! Armor piercing tracers, high explosive incendiary, all kinds of fun rounds made for that thing........ :thumbs2: As a matter of fact, that's me in my avatar, just before rockin' and rollin'......Those were the days! :patriot: :txflag: :fire
Yep, those were the days ;-) Here's one of my babies that I had the pleasure to employ for about a year in '60-'70. Loved that gun!

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/xm35/superah1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


cbr600
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 775
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: not here

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#23

Post by cbr600 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:56 am

lkd wrote:Be careful, at many federal military installations, even AMMUNITION in your car can open you up to some serious questioning and detention at some bases. Too many people think state laws apply, but when you drive onto a federal military base, it's no different than entering another country in many cases (border patrols, ID checks at entry areas, etc.).
It's been a few years, but I was told to unload my handgun and put the ammo in the trunk, and the empty pistol in the glovebox.

Best to check with the individual base to find out their policies.
"The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey - undiluted and untaxed." ― Sam Ervin

User avatar

gregthehand
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1389
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: NW Houston, TX

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#24

Post by gregthehand » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 am

I was stationed at Ft Hood from 2000-2004. The rule then was you were supposed to tell the gate and then check it in at the Provost Marshall's Office. Once it was on base it had to be unloaded until on the range. The only range I remember being open to the public was the Battle Site Zero Range. All it was good for was sighting in a scope, or some iron sights. Plus the staff there were pretty hostile. They just yelled a lot and would only let you fire three rounds at a time no matter what you were shooting. So you had to load three rounds, shoot, go check your target, sit on the bench, wait, load three rounds, shoot, and on and on. Basically I just didn't ever want to shoot there on my own and never did.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.


NavAir
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#25

Post by NavAir » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:02 am

I work at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio one morning a week. I have to remember to take my car gun out of the console the night before, or I could be toast. Absolutely no weapons permitted on base.

User avatar

E.Marquez
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Kempner
Contact:

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#26

Post by E.Marquez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 am

Crosstimbers Okie wrote:Each installation is slightly different depending on what the commander whats. Outright prohibitions are impossible though. Federal law in Title 10 USC requires that all rifle ranges paid for with government funds be open to the public.
Possible just a INTERNET forum communication issue.. But, please show me where in Title 10 USC it gives the right to general public to use any range paid for with government funds.

If so, I find it strange that in 25 years,8 states, 3 countries, using, running rifle ranges paid for with government funds, and none of them have ever been open to the public. To the contrary, the General public is specifically prohibited from even being ON the range land, never mind shooting on them. :confused5

Are you speaking to National Guard State owned and managed ranges? even then, while a single range set aside on a Reserve or NG camp might be open to the public on a limited basis, I've never seen all ranges open to general public use...

Very interested in this if you can provide a cite or link..
Thanks
:thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

User avatar

sugar land dave
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Sugar Land, TX

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#27

Post by sugar land dave » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 pm

NavAir wrote:I work at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio one morning a week. I have to remember to take my car gun out of the console the night before, or I could be toast. Absolutely no weapons permitted on base.
I spent all last week filling in for the company in San Antonio. I had to go into Ft Sam Houston every day. You do NOT carry unless you like gambling with your freedom. A military base is not someplace you advocate your civilian rights. It is a another world with their own ways. You probably do not want to find out those ways.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member


NavAir
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#28

Post by NavAir » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:43 pm

sugar land dave wrote:
NavAir wrote:I work at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio one morning a week. I have to remember to take my car gun out of the console the night before, or I could be toast. Absolutely no weapons permitted on base.
I spent all last week filling in for the company in San Antonio. I had to go into Ft Sam Houston every day. You do NOT carry unless you like gambling with your freedom. A military base is not someplace you advocate your civilian rights. It is a another world with their own ways. You probably do not want to find out those ways.
What I said...


alvins
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#29

Post by alvins » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

once i was in flordia to see my cousins and they were all millitary guys. they told me to leave my gun in their safe rather then try getting it on base. what I had an issue with is that i dont carry my car registration papers and the dude at the gate wanted to see them. he didnt like my answer to look on my windshield at the sticker. i never did get in with my car. oh well.

User avatar

Purplehood
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4638
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Carrying Concealed on a Military base in Oklahoma

#30

Post by Purplehood » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 pm

There were 50mm cannons, more accurately referred to as a 50mm gun. Lobbing as light a shell as a 50mm would not be highly useful in an artillery piece (cannon).

50mm was a common Anti-Tank gun caliber, though 45mm, 47mm and the like were probably even more prevalent. The Germans put them in Panzer Mk IIIJ's and other Armored Fighting Vehicles.
(Don't forget the 50mm Recoilless Rifle).

Don't take your 50mm on US bases. It is a no-no.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”