Hospital carry again

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 2

Hospital carry again

Post by Boxerrider »

Went with DSW to the Fredericksburg hospital last weekend. Sign on the entrance states no firearms allowed under state law. 44.18 I think? No longer true, right? So in we go without disarming. She has to go through the admission process every time we do this even though all they're doing is drawing blood. While waiting at the lab she's reading the small print on her admission form. The last thing on the form states that it is against state law to bring firearms into a hospital, that this form serves as notification pursuant to 30.06, and that by signing you understand this and that you are not armed. (Not the exact wording, but the lab kept the form)
Seemed like kind of a mix of fact & fiction to me. I guess this makes it technically legal to carry there unless you have been admitted as patient?

Enjoy!

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

According to state law the only posted signs that a hospital can have that will force you to disarm are a 30.06 and, oddly enough, a "51%" sign without the "51" printed on it. (Odd I know, but I looked it up)

Unfortunately for your significant other, since they were the ones signing the form, was given proper notice under 30.06 in the form of "written communication". As for the legal ramifications if you were armed, but didn't sign the form, I'm not really sure. But since the sign at the door is non-applicable to a CHL, you should be in the clear.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

kauboy wrote:Unfortunately for your significant other, since they were the ones signing the form, was given proper notice under 30.06 in the form of "written communication".
Unless the form was proper with the wording in 30.06, that is NOT true. Vebally you can say whatever you want (just about) and it will be legal/valid notice under 30.06. But for written notice to be valid/legal then it has to conform to the exact wording in the 30.06. It just doesn't have to be 1" letters when in written form.

As to the original question - proper/valid/legal notice was not given. I carry.

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Indeed, it must contain the exact wording per the law:
(3) "Written communication" means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written
language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06,
Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed
handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this
property with a concealed handgun";

As you can see, it doesn't take alot of space to write it out on paper, so it very well could have been legally correct. Can you remember it well enough?
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

as a patient, I wouldn't be packin'
as a family member (read: visitor), I'd have that smoke-wagon near and dear to my heart.

notice wasn't given to you (visitor), so I wouldn't wurrah.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

Topic author
Boxerrider

Thanks

Post by Boxerrider »

It was longer than that, but very well may have included that wording. We don't have to go this weekend but will likely be back some time in the future so I'll copy it down and verify that it matches or not. She purse carries (which I'm not a fan of BTW) so all it would really take is for me to carry her purse while we're in there.

Enjoy!

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

Eh, you do what you gotta do.
I'd rather my ole lady PurseCarry than not carry at all, right?
Most folks at a hospital (in my experience) have much bigger fish to fry than concerning themselves with whether or not their patient's family/friends are packin'
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”