CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Wally Walk Hillarity--Life Lesson

Post by snatchel »

RoyGBiv wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: As for the gang wannabe comments, I'd have told him that I acquired those tattoos [and scars] in military.
Agreed... I'da stopped there though... no need for insinuating anything and risking possible escalation, even though I would be thinking it... Discretion/valor... or something like that.... :mrgreen:

I was more inclined to pursue verbal confrontation back when I wasn't carrying.
Now, not so much. I've got nothing to prove. I took the chip off my shoulder and put it in my holster.

As for "failing WW", I wouldn't worry much about it... Myself, I never took the test. At least not specifically.
Shopping in ANY store other than a gun shop or a bike shop for more than 10 minutes gives me hives... :mrgreen:

Hmm. I wouldn't say I pursued a verbal confrontation. I did repel a verbal insinuation with a verbal defense. I carry not chip on my shoulder, but I refuse to let anyone talk down to me. If i'm wrong, correct me. I didn't overreact anyway, I simply made my point that it was none of his business and went on my way.

And not to change subjects on the thread RoyGBiv, but i'm wanting to get into mountain biking. I need a reccomendation on an affordable bike--feel free to message me!
No More Signature

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 1

Post by schufflerbot »

i'd have apologized, thanked him and assured him i was legal.

but that's just me. given the 'gang banger wannabe' comment, though... my 'retort' gland would have secreted something witty and rude.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

snatchel wrote:
Purplehood wrote:
I'm ex mil --thus tattoos.
Back in the day, tattoos could be a disqualifier from enlistment. After 24 years of service, I have none. My how times change.

Tats are still terms for disqualificTion...and in the last 2 years have become terms for seperation. I guess in the community i served in, no one really cared too much as long as everything could be covered in dress uniform.

...strange...my son has 6 or 7...and just served a term of deployment in Iraq...the Army must have missed all of them...

stroo

Post by stroo »

My son in law has at least one and most of his buddies have several and all are in the Marines. Having said that, I understand that all of their tatoos can be covered up and that the Marine Corps officially doesn't like them.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

First, and foremost, thank you for your service!!

Second, as for tattoos, i think they are a generational thing. I'm old enough to be your Grandpa, so in my day very few Army folks (at least in all my years of service) had tattoos. Now a Marine might have had a Globe & Anchor, or Navy have a Naval style tattoo, or maybe one that had a name of a loved one with a heart, etc. Today it's about "body art" and "piercings." Not something common at all in my time. Today's tattoos are more about decorating oneself, rather than commemorating a person, event, or military service. That said, I suppose it will be a fad that changes over time.,

Third, you've been given enough advice on how situations like yours "should be" handled, so all I have to say is be very careful in the future, as an exposed weapon can turn into a MWAG situation and go bad very quickly.

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

G26ster---From someone who also carries a G26, i'm sure your wondering how I could have exposed that "tiny little thing!" LoL. Just kidding. Seriously though, I am a little embarassed about exposing it. I can print all day long, and I could really care less. Matter of fact, with the vast majority of my T-shirts I do print. It looks like a gun to someone who knows what a gun-under-a-shirt looks like, and like a ___you name it___ to anyone else. Print=ok. Expose=not such a great idea.

As far as tattoos goes, the official Navy verbage says something to the effect of tattoos are unauthorized if: below shirtsleeves, above neckline, anything racial, derrogotory, gang related, etc.

Use common sense and you will probably be alright. Mine definately break the first two rules, but like I said--it kinda depends on what community you serve it. I served with a SEAL buddy that had extreme tattooage going on.. full sleeves, tattood on the neckline up to his hairline... basically his whole body except for hands, feet, and face was tattood. You can guess why no one cared--he was a SEAL. And there is the whole exception if you got tattoos before a certain date (maybe pre 2008 or something like that).

Tattoos are common these days. I've seen teachers with full sleeve tattoos.
No More Signature

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

snatchel wrote: Hmm. I wouldn't say I pursued a verbal confrontation.
I was referencing TAM's comments... Sorry for the confusion..

The full quote was...
The Annoyed Man wrote:As for the gang wannabe comments, I'd have told him that I acquired those tattoos in military, while defending his right to be obnoxious to perfect strangers. That would give him an opportunity to apologize to you. If he doesn't take it, then everyone within earshot will know something about his lack of character. The best way to hang someone is to give him all the rope he needs and let him do it himself.
While I think you'd be within rights to make the underlined comment, I was just saying that I'd have not done so... Why bother.? Water meet duck's back...

Again... Sorry for any confusion...
Hard to keep threads from unraveling sometimes..
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

RoyGBiv wrote:

I wasn't referencing your comment! haha. These quotes really start to get confusing. Lets just close the thread and call it a day. quote]
No More Signature

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

"rlol"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Snatchel,

Thank you for your service.

(.... but that was a brave kid, even if arrogant...)

M
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Not really.. I'm not intimidating at all. If you can get past the tattoos and stereotypes, I stand 5'6 and 165 lbs. Haha
No More Signature

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

snatchel wrote:Not really.. I'm not intimidating at all. If you can get past the tattoos and stereotypes, I stand 5'6 and 165 lbs. Haha
I know a lot of guys like that. They look all scary and intimidating, but they're actually really nice people. In fact, when it comes to tats and piercings, I know far more people who don't fit the stereotypes than those who do.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Well, the guy might have meant well, but what he did was stupid.

If you WERE illegally carrying, there were a few possible outcomes from his perspective:
- Scenarios from his IMAGINATION:
1. You admit to breaking the law, attempt to leave, he draws a weapon or calls the police and ends up as a hero on the local news.
2. You admit to breaking the law, surrender yourself into his custody in a voluntary citizen's arrest, wait for the police to arrive to record your confession, and he ends up as a hero on the local news.

- REALISTIC scenarios:
1. You lie to him about having a license. Was he prepared to check it? Is he trained to recognize forgeries?
2. You flee as fast as you can (which could lead to his own peril if he's in your way).
3. You use being "outed" as the impetus to begin your planned / impromptu crime spree - be it robbery or mass murder.
Native Texian

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:

The full quote was...
The Annoyed Man wrote:As for the gang wannabe comments, I'd have told him that I acquired those tattoos in military, while defending his right to be obnoxious to perfect strangers. That would give him an opportunity to apologize to you. If he doesn't take it, then everyone within earshot will know something about his lack of character. The best way to hang someone is to give him all the rope he needs and let him do it himself.
This is why they call me The Annoyed Man. :mrgreen:

For the record, I don't respond to every confrontation that way. In fact, I'm rarely ever in any kind of verbal confrontation. But, if someone needs to be put in their place after personally insulting me, I'll make a calculated assessment of whether or not such a response will be productive. If I think it will, then I will go ahead. If I think it will escalate things, then I don't. But also, maybe it's because I am old and fat and have completely white hair. I can get away with stuff, particularly from young wippersnappers, because I'm just a cranky old fart.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Hard to know how to handle it since I was not there; however, that does not stop me from saying how I would have! I would have thanked him for noticing since it helped you to know there was something to work on, and I would have said that, indeed, I do have a CHL. If he had asked to see it, I would have said that I only produce it under the request of a LEO.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”