CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
johnson0317
Posts in topic: 7

A question of Armadillos

Post by johnson0317 »

OK, strange question time.

I live outside of the city limits, in Smith county. I live in a small residential neighborhood that is a u-shaped configuration. Maybe a total of 40 houses in this little neighborhood. You can often hear someone firing off guns, especially on the week-ends.

Here is the question. My next door neighbor is being terrorized by an armadillo. It is tearing the heck out of their very nice lawn, and digging some rather impressive holes...very deep ones. The next door neighbor wife was commismerating with my wife who happened to mention that I carry. She immediately asked if I would shoot the rascal the next time it made an appearance. Her husband is all for this execution since the live trap seems to be worthless, and the dang critter sat in the front yard just looking at them when they confronted it the other night. I guess they do not have what it takes to clobber it with a shovel. Anyway...can I shoot this thing? I am outside of city limits, and I have their permission. Is it legal? Do I have to have a hunting license for something like this? Hate to take a ride for helping out a neighbor.

Thanks for any advice.

(Kind of hate to shoot one since the only armadillos I see around here are attracting flies on the side of the road...but, I don't want it checking out my yard either.)
RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

dcphoto
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A question of Armadillos

Post by dcphoto »

If it's legal to shoot there, and you have permission and a hunting license, then it's legal to kill the dillo.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publication ... t/nongame/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

If it is pest problem, and you want to stop damage to property, I guess you do not need a hunting license.

Get a 0.22 rifle and snipe that bugger.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
johnson0317
Posts in topic: 7

Post by johnson0317 »

Here is a quote from that site...it reads a little funny: " •No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required " So, does that mean I can hunt them at any time on private property, without a license? The mention of a hunting license only comes after mention of hunting on public lands.
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

johnson0317 wrote:Here is a quote from that site...it reads a little funny: " •No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required " So, does that mean I can hunt them at any time on private property, without a license? The mention of a hunting license only comes after mention of hunting on public lands.

I guess I could be wrong, you may still have to pay $25 for hunting licenses.

There are exceptions for not needing hunting license:

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:
Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.

Armadillos are non-game animal, but not classified as fur-bearing animals. Better call TPWD and clear it up for Armadillos causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TLE2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TLE2 »

Armadillos are fast, have sharp claws and carry a list of diseases. Approach with care. Handle the dead carcass with care.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

johnson0317 wrote:Here is a quote from that site...it reads a little funny: " •No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required " So, does that mean I can hunt them at any time on private property, without a license? The mention of a hunting license only comes after mention of hunting on public lands.
Since "a hunting license is required" is a separate sentence, I'm going to say yes you need a hunting license.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

They also jump when you shoot them. :shock: Good luck! They are tough. Between them, the draught and the moles lately, the yard is not happy.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Your neighbor's lawn may look nice, but if Armadillos are feasting there, it's an indication of an underlying problem - usually grubs, and Armadillo's favorite snack and the reason they dig the holes. They do not dig random holes, no profit in that, they can hear the little critters moving under the sod and go in after them. If your neighbor gets rid of the grubs, the Armadillos will wander through the yard in search of lunch, but they won't dig up the grass.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

Surely you know someone with a hunting license and a powerful air riffle

They can also go to SAMs and get 2 or 3 big things of chili powder, spread it over the whole yard. But that will just move him to the next yard

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Their amor is pretty tough. Might need something more stout than a 22.
The shovel sounds like a good idea and safer for the neighborhood.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

JCole

Post by JCole »

I heard on Howard Garrett the other day, that the armadillos come into residential yards more often in dry weather, because watering the yards keeps their food (earthworms and grubs) healthier.

I also agree that a valid hunting license is required.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Years ago my father shot one with a 30-30. It certainly killed the critter, but the bullet spatter from that soft-nose round hitting armadillo armor left tiny holes in a metal building and a travel trailer.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Around here:

Shot, shovel, shut-up.........................
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

fishman

Post by fishman »

Shoot it with a bow.
IANAL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”