University parking lot and 30.06 posting

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NEB
Posts in topic: 4

University parking lot and 30.06 posting

Post by NEB »

I noticed something I hadn't seen until to day. I work at a state university health sciences center, and I always pull into the parking lot by the same entrance. I typically carry up to that point, disarm, and go in to work, rearming after I get back to my vehicle. However, today, I pulled in through a different entrance and noticed a 30.06 sign at the entrance to the parking lot.

Now, by my understanding, I should be ok *legally* under the parking lot bill which went into effect in September, correct?

I guess besides that question, I was curious about the validity of the sign apart from the parking lot bill in the first place. As a university, they are automatically covered under law in that you can't carry into a building on the property without explicit consent. However, as a state university on what is technically state-owned property, can they validly post a 30.06 sign to prohibit carry within the open parking lot?

And yes, I have looked for a policy restricting employees from having handguns in their vehicles, and I have been unable to find anything that would put my job in jeopardy.

--neb

bayouhazard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: University parking lot and 30.06 posting

Post by bayouhazard »

Government property is an exception to 30.06 unless it's prohibited under some other section of the law. IANAL but I think a 30.06 sign at the parking lot entrance would be meaningless for a public university but valid for visitors and students at a private university.

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

bayouhazard wrote:Government property is an exception to 30.06 unless it's prohibited under some other section of the law. IANAL but I think a 30.06 sign at the parking lot entrance would be meaningless for a public university but valid for visitors and students at a private university.
It would be valid for employees as well if they wanted to take their handgun with them when they exited their vehicle.

Topic author
NEB

Post by NEB »

So it sounds as if the sign is invalid from the start (at least in the context of a public university). Not that it really matters because I don't typically leave the vehicle unless I'm going into the building, so the firearm stays in the car which should be perfectly legal.

Thanks.

--neb

05yuk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 05yuk »

Since your location is listed as Lubbock Im guessing this is the Texas Tech Healt Sciences center. Which entrance is this sign posted at? I know there used to be or probably still is a couple 30.06 signs on the building as you walk in.

Im not completely sure on the legality of them posting 30.06 signs in the parking lot but I really hope this isnt something that they have just started doing and hope that they are not going to do it on campus.

Topic author
NEB

Post by NEB »

The entrance I noticed today was the 4th street entrance in front of the east wing/A pod. I usually enter off of Texas Tech Parkway as my office is in the C pod. I actually noticed it as I was going past, so I wasn't able to look closely to see if it is correct in wording. It very well could be an older sign citing the wrong section of the penal code. I do know that UMC is posted, but last I checked it was the older wording.

I have seen generic "no gun" type signs posted on the street as you enter campus on the parkway near the USA, but nothing that is binding. I think the posted lot is probably unique to the HSC as it is operated as a separate university than TTU with the Texas Tech system, but I haven't been on a main campus lot recently.

--neb

05yuk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 05yuk »

I have seen the unlicensed possession signs on the main campus but no 30.06 signs.

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

NEB wrote:The entrance I noticed today was the 4th street entrance in front of the east wing/A pod. I usually enter off of Texas Tech Parkway as my office is in the C pod. I actually noticed it as I was going past, so I wasn't able to look closely to see if it is correct in wording. It very well could be an older sign citing the wrong section of the penal code. I do know that UMC is posted, but last I checked it was the older wording.
I have seen generic "no gun" type signs posted on the street as you enter campus on the parkway near the USA, but nothing that is binding. I think the posted lot is probably unique to the HSC as it is operated as a separate university than TTU with the Texas Tech system, but I haven't been on a main campus lot recently.

--neb
last i saw, it was posted but with the older wording too, but it's been a while so they may have updated it. my wife worked at UMC while we were both at Tech.

Topic author
NEB

Post by NEB »

rmr, I worked for UMC for a while before starting at the HSC. I worked in an off-site OP clinic, and our clinic only had the generic gun-buster sign. :coolgleamA:

--neb

FFEMT116

Post by FFEMT116 »

I actually stopped and took a picture of a 30.06 sign at the turn in to the UMC ER. There is also one just like it posted on the highway right of way on Texas Tech Parkway, right after you turn south off 4th street. I don't carry when I'm on the ambulance, and I don't go there when I'm not at work, but I found it amusing none the less.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

FFEMT116 wrote:I actually stopped and took a picture of a 30.06 sign at the turn in to the UMC ER. There is also one just like it posted on the highway right of way on Texas Tech Parkway, right after you turn south off 4th street. I don't carry when I'm on the ambulance, and I don't go there when I'm not at work, but I found it amusing none the less.

They misspelled "pursuant". Not that it makes a difference--I just find that amusing.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”