under prepared? prepared? draw the line

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 5

under prepared? prepared? draw the line

Post by 1s1k52 »

If this is in the wrong place or violates a rule I skipped over let me know MODS.

I have wanted to post this in a better way but waited to learn some things and my semester to end. Plus the original CC sites I was apart of IMO should BAN some of their members with how they treat others. I can't say enough good things about this site and its members. Can't say I am surprised after all Texas is the best ;)

Been involved for about 2 years or more. Actively carrying etc for less then a year still feel like I have a lot to turn and will never truly grasp things comfortably with CC or self-defense tactics.

My question is hopefully simple. Where do you draw the line? with whats being prepared for "things" and do you look down at others for some of their ideas. Well what do I mean by that?

I see have seen this pop up every now and then but I have CONSTANTLY wondered how to stay armed while swimming with my kids. To some people it is a dumb topic and paranoia. Despite being in a "nice" area, several break ins have happened in broad day light this year. One of which was directly across the hall from me. So where does leaving my firearm in the apartment help me meeting someone in my place upon returning from the pool? haven't felt comfortable leaving in a bag because what if a random kid grab our bag on accident? clearly the "what ifs" could go on and on with ANY subject. However, to tell someone having a thought process of trying to stay armed at all times is paranoia, insane, etc seems hypocritical to be read anywhere on a CC forum IMHO.

I understand carrying is a right just like freedom of speech, but I am speaking on how I have seen people treated that were not raised around guns and look to sites for answers etc. I guess I am trying to shed light and get a topic going all at the same time.

I personally think there really is no limit to being prepared and no matter how hard you try there will always be scenario you may not be prepared for. Some of the stuff I have seen on DoomsDay Preppers has been in a lot of ways eye opening for me.

So I draw the line with the desire to carrying 2 guns with a spare mag a piece. Although I only carry one its due to funds and still varying placement and practice with one etc. I have a small joke of a BUG OUT bag but plan to increase ammo amounts and other items. I carry while at home on my person, in my car at work (as of last year thank god), within hands reach while sleeping. I intend to do all these till I can no longer.
(insert clever signature here)

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: under prepared? prepared? draw the line

Post by Dave2 »

1s1k52 wrote:I see have seen this pop up every now and then but I have CONSTANTLY wondered how to stay armed while swimming with my kids.
Well, a Glock 17 w/Maritime Spring Cups is waterproof and can be submerged (note that this requires FMJ ammo since, according to that site, water can make JHP rounds expand in the barrel), but I don't have any good advise for how to conceal it.

Regarding your under/over preparedness, nobody can really answer that for you (though I'm sure lots of people think they can).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Good reply. I really had no expectations for replies.

That mariner mod jumped to my
List just because it doesn't hurt to have but may help.

karder

Post by karder »

I think that swimming and staying armed would be tough. I would not like to leave a weapon in a bag while I was in the pool.

As far as being over or under prepared, this is a question everyone must answer for themselves. I personally don't think it is possible to be over prepared, but each individual, law abiding citizen must decide how prepared they believe they need to be. Not everyone should be carrying a gun as not everyone is psychologically or emotionally capable of carrying a weapon or using it in a responsible manner. For some people, a cell phone is as prepared as they should be. For others, pepper spray is a great option, and for those who have the maturity and understand the responsibility in doing so, carrying one, two or more guns is a good option.

I don't believe it is the job of the State to determine which law abiding citizens are capable of carrying weapons, but it is the responsibility of each citizen to know themselves and be realistic about what level of preparation they will afford themselves and then to accept the responsibility resulting from their choices. Every time we holster a gun and walk out our door, we are either an asset to society and our neighbors or a liability to them. If I did not believe I could walk out the door as an asset, I would not walk out armed.

:tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

guns are not the only weapon you can carry; a can of pepper spray is cheap and if someone steals it you're not out. I just ordered two cans off the web and it only cost 12.00 for both.

Let’s face it you are going to be in big trouble if you open fire in a crowded pool wither or not you are in the right
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I agree with barstoolguru and wanted to expand on it a little bit. Not only is a pistol not the only possible weapon, but using it is not always the correct response. There is an old saying that if your only tool is a hammer, pretty soon all of your problems look like nails. Take this to heart and think of different tools and responses to problems.

For example, in most cases, the threats in a public pool area would probably not justify (personally - not legally) a shooting response. Getting out of the area might be the better response. In the case of something that is close in, maybe a knife might be the better response. The threat would be close but the answer might be very similar. In some cases, just shouting and drawing attention (like they teach the kids to yell stranger danger or similar) might be the most correct response.

One of the ways to improve your tactics is to think of possible realistic threats and how you would react. This will also help you decide what is a real threat and what is so far out that it is paranoia, and the same with responses. For example, a robbery is a real potential threat, but a zombie attack is not likely (except for Florida these days :lol:). One gun is normal, and a backup is good preparation. I knew an officer who carried four guns on his person and had two or three more in his car while on patrol. I thought he might have crossed that fine line between preparation and paranoia.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I carry a knife and my keys. I don't want to find a way to carry at or around the pool for the people in the pool mostly the area. We visit the hot tub at night a lot so there is the walk there and the walk back to our apartment. I carry my wifes pepper spray sometimes I should get some for myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sabre-Red-Pink- ... 0388441317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thatx what she has but I would not recommend it if you have kids or a wife that would loose her head if it wasnt attached to her neck. The tab does not stay to the "off" position.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

srothstein wrote:One gun is normal, and a backup is good preparation. I knew an officer who carried four guns on his person and had two or three more in his car while on patrol. I thought he might have crossed that fine line between preparation and paranoia.
If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the pool. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

texanron

Post by texanron »

barstoolguru wrote:guns are not the only weapon you can carry; a can of pepper spray is cheap and if someone steals it you're not out. I just ordered two cans off the web and it only cost 12.00 for both.

Let’s face it you are going to be in big trouble if you open fire in a crowded pool wither or not you are in the right
I agree that pepper spray is a great alternate for when you can't carry for what ever reason.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

...I ALWAYS have a little somethin' to share... http://www.crkt.com/Bear-Claw-Sharp-Tip ... Sharp-Edge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

I'm taking some self defense courses. Learning to be prepared and drawing the line.

When the family and I go swimming someone always stays by the "bag".

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I can not believe I posted this and we had someone try and break in....

I got home from work Sunday around 6 about that time my wife was returning with 4 kids. They had been down at the pool off and on all day.

I have stated somewhere we live in a brand new apartment complex in what should be considered a nice area. It can be seen plain as day someone try to do a force entry into our apartment.

I am wondering what I should do at this point? I can not be here to protect my wife 24/7 I am glad that not only they didn't get in but they did not do so with anyone in the house or returning.

LEO confirmed forced entry attempts and made a report. This makes 7 attempts with 1 confirmed theft in this complex in less than a year.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...glad they didn't get in...seems as if they might have been watching for her to leave...

Big Tuna

Post by Big Tuna »

1s1k52 wrote:I have stated somewhere we live in a brand new apartment complex in what should be considered a nice area. It can be seen plain as day someone try to do a force entry into our apartment.
A cop friend said a lot of property crimes at apartments is committed by residents. The next category is their friends. It makes sense because they have access, know when neighbors are at work, etc.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...kids talk too much about what the family has in the home...I taught mine to be VERY selective about who they let in the door, and to talk carefully...not bragging about things we had...

...the point got driven home when a friend across the street was burgled by the "poor, underprivileged" boy he was giving a ride to class daily...the kid was prowling while he was getting ready...and brought a cohort back with him to clean the place out...cops got him to confess but did not name his partner, so they only got about hald their stuff back...

...had a customer burgled through a back patio door while he was mowing the front yard...it takes a good defense to keep 'em out...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”