Majestic Theater San Antonio--Posted?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Majestic Theater San Antonio--Posted?

Post by RicoTX »

I went to see Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic theater in San Antonio on Sunday, they had 51% signs on an easel outside the doors. Just updating the thread for future searches.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

Contemplating going to an event at the Majestic Theatre in downtown San Antonio. It is owned by the city so no 30.06 or 30.07 signs. However, they have contracted out their concessions to a vendor that makes more than 51% of THEIR revenue from alcohol sales so it is a no carry location.

To me, it makes more sense the revenue from the theater should also be used in the alcohol to total revenue calculation and not just the concessionaires. I doubt the revenue from alcohol is 51% or more of the total revenue of the location. Am I the only one that thinks this? Is it worth trying to pursue this change in a future legislative session?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RicoTX »

I'm taking my Mother to a show at the end of this month, and yes I also think it's just a way to skirt the law, but I doubt there will be any movement.

It is funny though, both names are the same... When u pay for concessions, it still says Majestic.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

KLB

Post by KLB »

Keith B wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 pm As srothstein says, the license goes with the whole building (unless they specifically limit where the alcohol can be taken when they apply for the license), so the whole building becomes a 51% location by default.
I think that's right. I've observed the same thing at what's now called The Public Theater of San Antonio, formerly known as San Pedro Playhouse and before that as San Antonio Little Theater. Its been a long time since I was there, but when I was, the whole thing was posted 51% because of a liquor concessionaire. Ridiculous, but that's the way it is.

Jbpate

Post by Jbpate »

My wife and I went to see “wicked” at the majestic last October.
I got the wand and they looked in my wife’s purse. They did not wand her though”wink,wink”. Since I chose not to carry we went in a watched the show without an issue. The issue though was walking back to the Drury plaza hotel afterwards in the dark. All the police standing around in front of the Majestic were no were to be seen on the walk back through the “aggressive homeless drug addicts “ two blocks to our hotel. I got to walk point telling them and their demands “ NO” while my my wife was right behind me to back me up if needed. Fortunately her and her little friend were not needed. There was an elderly couple walking along in the same direction who were rather stressed about the ordeal of all the threats popping out of the dark. I am not sure at all how they would have faired by themselves. The point is the situation downtown in SA sucks at night. I think it is despicable that city allows that. No police seen at all the whole two blocks back, REALLY! They stand around all huddled right in front of the Majestic . Maybe they are afraid or told by higher ups not to go out down dark sidewalks do their job and patrol,who knows. It might as well have been San Francisco ,Seattle ,or Portland. Those dirtbags don’t ask nice for money either ,they spew profanity at you with a threat to it. The worst spots seem to be any bridge crossing the river walk. The lighting was nonexistent down in that smelly sewer and with all foliage allowed cover for them to “slither up from”. The inside of the Majestic is beautiful but that walk, good grief.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Been a 51% location since at least 2016...

https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=4583
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

I would guess that the artists make most of the revenue from ticket sales and the theater makes most of its revenue from concessions.

Oh, we only go down there when out of state visitors want to, we avoid downtown like the plague. Like most big cities now a days.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

mojo84 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm Contemplating going to an event at the Majestic Theatre in downtown San Antonio. It is owned by the city so no 30.06 or 30.07 signs. However, they have contracted out their concessions to a vendor that makes more than 51% of THEIR revenue from alcohol sales so it is a no carry location.

To me, it makes more sense the revenue from the theater should also be used in the alcohol to total revenue calculation and not just the concessionaires. I doubt the revenue from alcohol is 51% or more of the total revenue of the location. Am I the only one that thinks this? Is it worth trying to pursue this change in a future legislative session?
I have said that for years, and have spoken with my reps on that issue. The TABC allows vendors to permit an entire park (Mayfest in Ft. Worth) and post 51% signs.
This would have to be changed, through, the TABC permitting process, and their definition, and classification, of permits. Now, any time they have vendors selling for on premise consumption, in a location, the area, must include everywhere, a person can legally consume the alcohol. That's why you can't carry alcohol in or out of an on premise consumption location. But because vendors themselves, like a beer and wine tent, only sell alcohol, they derive at least 51% of their revenue, from alcohol sales, and a person can legally consume said alcohol, throughout the park, or other event. The entire area, becomes part of that vendor's permitted premises. Even though other things, like food, clothing etc. are sold, only the sales, of the vendor selling alcohol, are considered. But it is a catch 22 because that same vendor is the only one required to get a TABC permit. Getting legislation changed in regards to the TABC, is very slow and difficult. They are notoriously anti LTC, and are an entity unto themselves, who often, have to be sued in court, before enacting changes. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”