CHL Renewal after license expires

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

AEA
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5110
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#16

Post by AEA » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:13 am

Hopefully the Bill to remove the renewal class requirement will pass and there will be no more of this possibility of "having to start all over". :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#17

Post by apostate » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:42 am

I don't believe that bill extends the grace period for renewals. Applications completed more than one year after the previous license expired would still require a new application, with the associated training, fees, fingerprints, et cetera.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 25649
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#18

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:56 pm

apostate wrote:I don't believe that bill extends the grace period for renewals. Applications completed more than one year after the previous license expired would still require a new application, with the associated training, fees, fingerprints, et cetera.
That begs a question when you say "applications completed"......

Does that mean A) the application has been completed by the applicant and turned into DPS, and now the deadline has been met; or B) DPS has completed processing of the application?

In other words, if I have everything paid for, completed, and turned in before the year is up, but DPS fails to complete the process before the year is up, do I have to start all over again as a new applicant, or has the grace period been satisfied once everything is in DPS's hands? My first renewal license arrived in yesterday's mail, so this doesn't affect me right now. Just curious....
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#19

Post by JKTex » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Jason73 wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
smoothoperator wrote:That's good news. Does he have to postmark his CHL-100 by 12/23/2012 or does the fact he paid online before 12/23 mean he can do a renewal even if he doesn't take the class until Easter?
The license has to be renewed within 1 year of it's expiration date. The OP has until 12/23/2012 to get his class done and get his renewal paperwork to DPS. After that, he would be considered a new applicant. Meaning - he would have to take the full 10 hour class, pay the full fee, and undergo the full background check again with photos and fingerprints.
Thank you for the information! I took my renewal class on 11/18, mailed paperwork on 11/19 and according the USPS was delivered on 11/20. Hopefully they finish processing it in time, I would really hate to start over from square one :banghead:
For what it's worth, Friday is 5 weeks since DPS got all my stuff in the mail. When the system was finally updated about 3 weeks in, it shows everything done with the exception of background check review and printing, but it's said that for nearly 2 weeks.

I have 3-4 weeks for renewal processing in my head for some reason, and of course, I pushed mine to nearly the end too so we'll see how long it actually takes. :txflag:


smoothoperator
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#20

Post by smoothoperator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm

JKTex wrote:For what it's worth, Friday is 5 weeks since DPS got all my stuff in the mail. When the system was finally updated about 3 weeks in, it shows everything done with the exception of background check review and printing, but it's said that for nearly 2 weeks.

I have 3-4 weeks for renewal processing in my head for some reason, and of course, I pushed mine to nearly the end too so we'll see how long it actually takes. :txflag:
If you did your part before the deadline, it sounds like the DPS processing lag doesn't count against your year.


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#21

Post by JKTex » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 pm

smoothoperator wrote:
JKTex wrote:For what it's worth, Friday is 5 weeks since DPS got all my stuff in the mail. When the system was finally updated about 3 weeks in, it shows everything done with the exception of background check review and printing, but it's said that for nearly 2 weeks.

I have 3-4 weeks for renewal processing in my head for some reason, and of course, I pushed mine to nearly the end too so we'll see how long it actually takes. :txflag:
If you did your part before the deadline, it sounds like the DPS processing lag doesn't count against your year.
Right, I was just letting him know how long the process is taking currently....way too long, especially for renewals.


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#22

Post by JKTex » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:49 pm

BTW, my status changed to day to manufacturing license. I think it referred to it as printing earlier. Either way, it's close to being mailed!!

If anyone is getting close to renewal, there's no good reason not to get it done way ahead of time. Don't procrastinate like me and end up stuck with an expired license. :rules:


Topic author
Jason73
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#23

Post by Jason73 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:05 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
apostate wrote:I don't believe that bill extends the grace period for renewals. Applications completed more than one year after the previous license expired would still require a new application, with the associated training, fees, fingerprints, et cetera.
That begs a question when you say "applications completed"......

Does that mean A) the application has been completed by the applicant and turned into DPS, and now the deadline has been met; or B) DPS has completed processing of the application?

In other words, if I have everything paid for, completed, and turned in before the year is up, but DPS fails to complete the process before the year is up, do I have to start all over again as a new applicant, or has the grace period been satisfied once everything is in DPS's hands? My first renewal license arrived in yesterday's mail, so this doesn't affect me right now. Just curious....

That is my quesiton exactly! According to the USPS my paperwork was delivered to DPS on 11/20 however 2 weeks later the website still says "Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials". Im getting worried because the clock is ticking fast, I have 22 more days until the 1 year mark since my license expired. If anyone can give me a definitive answer on this I would be grateful!!


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#24

Post by JKTex » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:58 am

Once they've got it, you've turned it in.

The status doens't seem to change very soon though. Seems like it was a couple weeks before receiving it was even acknowledged.

Mine came in yesterday. That's 32 business days or 2 days shy of 7 weeks. That's ridiculous for renewals, but it's the State. I bet it passed 4 hands before actually being mailed, after the status was changed to Mailed, which was almost 2 weeks ago.

User avatar

KC5AV
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1925
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: Marshall

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#25

Post by KC5AV » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am

Jason73 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
apostate wrote:I don't believe that bill extends the grace period for renewals. Applications completed more than one year after the previous license expired would still require a new application, with the associated training, fees, fingerprints, et cetera.
That begs a question when you say "applications completed"......

Does that mean A) the application has been completed by the applicant and turned into DPS, and now the deadline has been met; or B) DPS has completed processing of the application?

In other words, if I have everything paid for, completed, and turned in before the year is up, but DPS fails to complete the process before the year is up, do I have to start all over again as a new applicant, or has the grace period been satisfied once everything is in DPS's hands? My first renewal license arrived in yesterday's mail, so this doesn't affect me right now. Just curious....

That is my quesiton exactly! According to the USPS my paperwork was delivered to DPS on 11/20 however 2 weeks later the website still says "Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials". Im getting worried because the clock is ticking fast, I have 22 more days until the 1 year mark since my license expired. If anyone can give me a definitive answer on this I would be grateful!!
If you believe you'd submitted everything that's required, but the website has indicated for two weeks that they are waiting on something, I'd give them a call to see if they really are waiting on materials.
NRA lifetime member


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

#26

Post by JKTex » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 am

Jason73 wrote:According to the USPS my paperwork was delivered to DPS on 11/20 however 2 weeks later the website still says "Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials".
Also keep in mind you lost a couple of days in there to Thanksgiving. But we're over a week later from your post so your status has likely updated by now?

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”