CHL Renewal after license expires

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jason73
Posts in topic: 4

CHL Renewal after license expires

Post by Jason73 »

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered, I looked for a similar post and could find none.

My CHL expired Dec 23rd 2011. This is my first renewal, I paid my state renewal fees back in August but because of work have not had time to take the renewal class until now. My question is, because I waited so long and the probability it won't be processed before Dec 23rd, will my renewal still go through if I take the class this weekend and get my paperwork sent to the state on Monday or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL Renewal after license expires

Post by KC5AV »

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be okay, depending on when you paid in August. I want to say that you have 90 days from the time you process your online renewal to get everything sent in, or you have to start over as a new licensee, not a renewal... whole 10 hour class and all. One of the other instructors will be along to verify, but you might look at this thread. Have you gotten any sort of communication from DPS? The good news is that if the whole 90 day thing isn't an issue, you're still good to renew before December.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56546&p=698165&hili ... er#p698165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA lifetime member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

WOW late to this party too.

This is just one reason I always encourage folks to come to class 1st even though it is not required by the DPS to do it in that order.

The time frame on the class paper work (CHL-100) is still 2 yrs. This 90 day deal has gotten several in this situation they have lost some $$$s.

I hope you are just under the time wire but as above dont know for sure.

There are 2 Instructors on the board that I know for sure have the answer. May be others.
Charles Cotton & Crossfire. What they say will be correct.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

clarionite
Posts in topic: 3

Post by clarionite »

longtooth wrote:WOW late to this party too.

This is just one reason I always encourage folks to come to class 1st even though it is not required by the DPS to do it in that order.

The time frame on the class paper work (CHL-100) is still 2 yrs. This 90 day deal has gotten several in this situation they have lost some $$$s.

There are 2 Instructors on the board that I know for sure have the answer. May be others.
First time CHL-100's are good for 2 years, renewal's are good for 6 months.

He'd have to call about the 90 days, as he's close.
If he has timed out on the 90 days, he might still be able to start another renewal application (with another fee) and sumit the CHL-100 before his year is up.
If he doesn't get it in before then, then I believe it will be a new license application (in which case he'll have the 2 years for the CHL-100 ).

Edit: He might also have to take another course if the CHL-100 is marked renewal and not original.
Last edited by clarionite on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happily Ever After
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Happily Ever After »

I think he was asking about RULE 6.15 but the 90 day window after paying online is another thing to worry about.

RULE 6.15 Renewal of License
(a) Grace period. An expired license may be renewed for up to one year after the expiration date. If the license has been expired for more than one year, the former license holder must submit an original license application to receive a license in the future.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

I'm confused... What's the "90 day deal"?
He has up to one year after his license expires to renew. I BELIEVE that all he need to do is get his app in before the 1 year is up to be OK.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

The 90 days we're talking about is from the time he starts his application. He has 90 days to get all the supporting documentation to DPS before they'll close the application.

Topic author
Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

Thank you for all the information. I submitted my renewal and paid the $72 to the state on August 14th which, based on the information posted, is beyond the 90 day limit. I just checked the DPS website and it lists my status as awaiting forms so hopefully they will still accept my application.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

clarionite wrote:
longtooth wrote:WOW late to this party too.

First time CHL-100's are good for 2 years, renewal's are good for 6 months.

He'd have to call about the 90 days, as he's close.
If he has timed out on the 90 days, he might still be able to start another renewal application (with another fee) and sumit the CHL-100 before his year is up.
If he doesn't get it in before then, then I believe it will be a new license application (in which case he'll have the 2 years for the CHL-100 ).

Edit: He might also have to take another course if the CHL-100 is marked renewal and not original.
:banghead: That is what I get for being in a hurry. Forgot he did say renewal. Now yall know why my wife has to hold my hand all the time. :banghead:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The 90 day window only occurs if DPS requests additional info after you have sent in your paperwork. If they mail you a letter requesting new photos, fingerprints, you forgot to sign your form, etc - you have 90 days from the date of the letter.

You have 1 year from the date you paid money to DPS to complete the application.

The CHL-100 (class completion certificate) is valid for 2 years for new applicants, and 6 months for renewal applicants.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

That's good news. Does he have to postmark his CHL-100 by 12/23/2012 or does the fact he paid online before 12/23 mean he can do a renewal even if he doesn't take the class until Easter?

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Crossfire wrote:The 90 day window only occurs if DPS requests additional info after you have sent in your paperwork. If they mail you a letter requesting new photos, fingerprints, you forgot to sign your form, etc - you have 90 days from the date of the letter.

You have 1 year from the date you paid money to DPS to complete the application.

The CHL-100 (class completion certificate) is valid for 2 years for new applicants, and 6 months for renewal applicants.
Thanks Crossfire. That's good information to know.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

smoothoperator wrote:That's good news. Does he have to postmark his CHL-100 by 12/23/2012 or does the fact he paid online before 12/23 mean he can do a renewal even if he doesn't take the class until Easter?
The license has to be renewed within 1 year of it's expiration date. The OP has until 12/23/2012 to get his class done and get his renewal paperwork to DPS. After that, he would be considered a new applicant. Meaning - he would have to take the full 10 hour class, pay the full fee, and undergo the full background check again with photos and fingerprints.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

It's good thing I try to follow these things.

When I thought I would be moving to Texas last spring, I did an online application, but since I haven't moved, I haven't finished the process. I suppose I need to pay a visit, take a class while there and get a NR permit which I can then convert once I move.

If I don't complete it within a year of paying fees, I have to start over is how I understand the gist of this thread.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

Crossfire wrote:
smoothoperator wrote:That's good news. Does he have to postmark his CHL-100 by 12/23/2012 or does the fact he paid online before 12/23 mean he can do a renewal even if he doesn't take the class until Easter?
The license has to be renewed within 1 year of it's expiration date. The OP has until 12/23/2012 to get his class done and get his renewal paperwork to DPS. After that, he would be considered a new applicant. Meaning - he would have to take the full 10 hour class, pay the full fee, and undergo the full background check again with photos and fingerprints.
Thank you for the information! I took my renewal class on 11/18, mailed paperwork on 11/19 and according the USPS was delivered on 11/20. Hopefully they finish processing it in time, I would really hate to start over from square one :banghead:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”