Unhappy with myself for a carry decision tonight

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Unhappy with myself for a carry decision tonight

Post by Purplehood »

IMHO keeping it in a pocket holster that covers the trigger is considered due-diligence. I would not be worrying about where the muzzle is pointing as long as the weapon is indeed in the holster.
That clip thingie certainly would not be something that I would purchase.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

jmra wrote:
This why I carry owb at 3:00. Easy to reach in multiple situations. I would want my weapon positioned so that I could draw it while simultaneously crouching behind seats to make myself the lest visible to the shooter as possible. Any carry method that requires you to expose yourself as a larger target in order to draw gets scratched off my list.
:iagree: OWB. Every day for me. And as far as I am concerned, the only way.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Jumping Frog wrote:As far as muzzle sweeping is concerned, I don't regard a properly holstered gun to be muzzle sweeping anything.
This.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Purplehood wrote:That clip thingie certainly would not be something that I would purchase.
Yeah, when someone gets shot (not if) due to use of the ClipDraw system, the manufacturer (Skyline Toolworks LLC of Malvern, PA) definitely does not want me on that jury deciding whether their grossly negligent design warrants punitive damages.

I am not a fan of where the whole plaintiff bar has taken our tort system. However, some accidents waiting to happen should clearly never be marketed.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

If you want minimal, consider the Versacarry. I'm pretty impressed with it.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Back when I bought my first pocket sized pistol, I bought a clip for it... tried it out at home with an unloaded gun- 5 minutes later, I took off the clip- forever.

mikedude

Post by mikedude »

trentwhite778 wrote:
jmra wrote:Pocket holster - always.
Yeah, that's how I'm feeling. Today was the first time to carry using the clip. I had originally carried it in a DeSantis Pocket Shot like this.
[ Image ]
but after taking it to the range and shooting it in the holster, I was extremely unhappy with how the recoil caused it to come loose. Having said that, the Pocket shot doesn't block the trigger either. It's just designed to make the gun not print the outline of a gun.

I appreciate the feedback, but with regards to it pointing forward towards other people. Even if I had a pocket holster, the gun would still be pointing in an undesirable direction. What would you do?
A. Not worry about it, it's in a holster and can't go off.
B. It's still pointing in an unsafe direction so excuse myself to the restroom to move it somewhere else, or put it in the car.
I bought one of those for my Taurus TCP and then promptly returned it. It seemed too difficult to keep the gun steady when it was time to fire. I prefer the simple Blackhawk nylon pocket holster in my r/rear pocket.

tornado

Post by tornado »

Skiprr wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:As far as muzzle sweeping is concerned, I don't regard a properly holstered gun to be muzzle sweeping anything.
This.
Agreed. I work on the 5th floor. If I had to worry about all the people downstairs... you get the idea.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

jmra wrote: :iagree:
This why I carry owb at 3:00. Easy to reach in multiple situations. I would want my weapon positioned so that I could draw it while simultaneously crouching behind seats to make myself the lest visible to the shooter as possible. Any carry method that requires you to expose yourself as a larger target in order to draw gets scratched off my list.
+ another one. I've never had to resort to pocket carry in order to carry; IWB holster, or a shoulder holster, or a fanny pack (I know, I know) has always gotten it done for me.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

If you do not keep the trigger covered in a reliable holster, you may find yourself defending that choice in front of a jury. Most will think the clip is an illustration of foolish disregard of public safety and decide accordingly. My vote goes to a good holster that covers the trigger and has retention of the firearm. Comfort is secondary to lawsuits, jail time, and the lousy press that none of us wants--especially now. A well-holstered firearm is not violating rule 2 as far as I'm concerned, but it becomes one if you are drawing the gun while it is pointed at someone. Rule two is one of the arguments against horizontal shoulder holsters I have seen discussed.
Sounds like you have already realized it is not good to feel like your holster is not trustworthy. Get a better one and see a movie you can enjoy :thumbs2:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

I must confess. Several years ago, this forum convinced me to buy a pocket holster for my snubby. They also convinced me to buy a good belt for my belt holsters for the other guns, too. Good advice here.
TX CHL 1997

DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

Pocket Carry:
I always use a Blackhawk nylon pocket holster when pocket carrying a gun. I recently bought a couple of pairs of Woolrich concealed carry slacks that have an invisible zippered gun pocket on the right side. I have found the combination of the Woolrich slacks with the Blackhawk to be a great way to pocket carry. I would never pocket carry without a holster that covers the trigger. Otherwise, it is a ND waiting to happen.

Pocket Carry in the Car:
I have found pocket carrying in the car to be useless. There is no way I can easily or quickly draw my weapon without being a contortionist. On the days I am pocket carrying one of my pistols, my solution is to keep a Ruger SR1911 in my car console as a backup.

Final Suggestions:
  • 1. When pocket carrying, it is very easy to want to stick your hand in the pocket and feel the comfort of your gun. DON'T DO IT! I have a rule that once the pistol is in my pocket, I don't touch it again unless I am either drawing it with an intention of using it or putting it away for the evening.
    2. If you are going to pocket carry, it is critical to practice drawing from a pocket carry position. The gun is useless if you can't get it out of your pocket.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This is what I use to carry my Ruger LCP. The pocket is basically designed to be a holster. I don't put anything else in the pocket that carries my gun. I've never had a problem with the trigger snagging or anything with these. http://ccwbreakaways.com/ They now have jeans (I have the khaki pants).

DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

Thomas wrote:This is what I use to carry my Ruger LCP. The pocket is basically designed to be a holster. I don't put anything else in the pocket that carries my gun. I've never had a problem with the trigger snagging or anything with these. http://ccwbreakaways.com/ They now have jeans (I have the khaki pants).
I just finished reviewing the ccwbreakaway website. These look fantastic. They are much more adjustable than the Woolrich chinos I am currently using. Thanks for the info!
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I carry my LCP and Kahr CW9 in simple Blackhawk pocket holsters, usually as backups to a larger weapon OWB. I've never had an issue with good pocket holsters, and as others have said as long as they cover the trigger and can't cause an ND then you're good to go.

You'll eventually be aiming at someone regardless of how you carry, whether it's someone behind you with a shoulder holster, someone a floor below with a waist holster or your own self with Thunderwear :leaving
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”