TSA refused CHL for ID

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txtwyst
Posts in topic: 3

TSA refused CHL for ID

Post by txtwyst »

I was getting ready to leave work to go to IAH. Realized I didn't have my TDL. (Long story, husband had it.) I looked at the United web site and found their identification rules. Any state issued photo id with the listed information would be acceptable. I called United to ask if they would take my CHL. Told them it was issued by the state and that it had the same info as my TDL. She told me it would be fine. I even had a co-worker tell me that he had used it at the airport before. So I calmed down and headed for the airport.

Showed it at the baggage check. No problem. Then comes security. Handed the CHL to her with my boarding pass. She stares at it for a second or two, then says "we don't accept these any more." And I nicely explained to her what is listed on their web site. She called over another person. Same story. But this one says, "Anyone can go online and get one of those." I just looked at her like she had three heads. I said, "I don't think so." To which she answered, "Oh yes they can."

OK so I'm not going to stand there and argue with an idiot. So I pulled out the ONLY other photo ID I had on me (thank god I came straight from work or I would not have had it), which was my University of Texas Medical School ID (which only has my photo, name, and place of work). They both looked at it. "OK what else do you have? Your car insurance card?"

In my head: "Are you kidding me?!?!" So, I promptly produced my auto insurance card. "What else do you have with your name on it?"

I pulled out both of my medical insurance cards and both medical flexible spending account debit cards. She took one of the insurance cards and said, "OK we've got three things. That's good."

Three things: my paper car insurance card, a health insurance card, and my work ID.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy they took ANYTHING I had on my person. But to take those as proof of identification when I had an UNEXPIRED STATE-ISSUED CHL PHOTO ID WITH EVERYTHING ABOUT ME ON IT EXCEPT MY DOG'S NAME??? REALLY???? SURELY this isn't right. Is it?

The TSA website page on acceptable IDs is EXACTLY what was listed on the United site. Is it somewhere ELSE in black and white that states the CHL is not a valid form of identification?

The nice TSA man at the San Diego airport took it without saying a word.

Thanks,
Phyllis

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TSA refused CHL for ID

Post by JP171 »

no dear lady, it isn't listed anyplace that its not accpetable, its a misinformed TSA groper being the usual big headed self important worthless individual

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomtexan »

JP171 wrote:no dear lady, it isn't listed anyplace that its not accpetable, its a misinformed TSA groper being the usual big headed self important worthless individual
:iagree:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Was it actually TSA or was it private security? In a lot of airports ID checking is not done by TSA.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

GratefulGirl59

Post by GratefulGirl59 »

Ridiculous!
:rules:
12/29/2012 Class
01/01/2013 App online
01/08/2013 Prints/mailed docs
01/09/2013 Rec'd
01/28/2013 Docs in system (phone call to DPS)
01/29/2013 Backgr check under review
02/11/2012 Backgr check complete/mfg pending
02/15/2012 Mfg/mailed

Topic author
txtwyst
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txtwyst »

I wouldn't swear on it, but I do believe it was TSA.

From now on, I'm going to show my CHL for identification at the airport first.

I wanted so badly to argue with those two, but I knew it would be like arguing with a post.... a really dumb post.

Thanks y'all.
Phyllis

Wes

Post by Wes »

They are just ignorant. We have both used ours at the airport with no issues at all on several different occasions.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

GratefulGirl59 wrote:Ridiculous!
:rules:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58238&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :tiphat:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

I have used my Utah license with a Texas Address...and no problems. I did it several times for grins as I fly a lot. Next time, ask for some one higher up. I have seen people use their credit cards to get past security...I kid you not.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

About a year ago I tried using my CHL at Hobby airport, just to see if they would accept it. The TSA checker was very nice, and said that it would be accepted as a secondary form of ID, if the primary (driver's license, passport, etc) were not available. He said because of all the varying requirements by the different states for CHL, they didn't accept Texas CHL as the first form of ID.

A different time, I was checking in at San Antonio airport and was without my driver's license (long story, and before I got my CHL). I went to the AA ticket counter first, and explained my situation. The ticket counter lady printed a special boarding pass, took me to the TSA agent, and they accepted my work photo ID, a ATM card with my name printed, and my vehicle insurance card with my name on it. Probably added abut 5 minutes total to my processing time.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The peasants are supposed to carry the proper papers in order to travel.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

CainA

Post by CainA »

I did this at RSW just to see what their reaction would be. They asked for a DL, which I had.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

anygunanywhere wrote:The peasants are supposed to carry the proper papers in order to travel.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Anygunanywhere

Yet so many, especially among the young ones, believe nothing has changed and we're just as "free" now as we were 50 years ago.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

This is just another shining example of what an excellent job our Government has done giving jobs to the underprivileged and uneducated. It's nice to know that those who would otherwise be unemployable can find a job.
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

What a moron. I don't recall getting fingerprinted and waiting over a month for a background check to get my driver's license.

What am I missing here?
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”