What / How is background check conducted?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NewGunGuy3
Posts in topic: 2

What / How is background check conducted?

Post by NewGunGuy3 »

I'm patiently (well, not really) waiting for my CHL to come in. Submitted near the end of January so I probably have another week or two based on what other people are reporting for processing times. Currently my application is in "background check: under review." What exactly does that mean? Yes, they are conducting a check but how is it done? What data do they look at? Where does the data come from and how is it collected? Basically, I'm wondering what do we know about this part of the process? Other than a traffic ticket 6+ years ago, I've had no fortunate or unfortunate interaction with law enforcement for, well, ever. Is it just law enforcement data or does credit history come into play (I'm good there too)? What else is there?

Thanks

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What / How is background check conducted?

Post by gringo pistolero »

They check computerized records. They used to have somebody go down to the county courthouse where you live, especially in smaller counties that haven't put all their records on computer, but I'm not sure if they care enough to do that any more.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Topic author
NewGunGuy3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NewGunGuy3 »

I assumed they were computer records but *what* records? Is it just state? Federal? what type of records? Criminal? Civil? etc. etc.

Thanks

Av8rtx

Post by Av8rtx »

NewGunGuy3 wrote:I assumed they were computer records but *what* records? Is it just state? Federal? what type of records? Criminal? Civil? etc. etc.

Thanks
It will be criminal records-State, Federal, FBI type stuff. I suppose from a civil standpoint anything involving being found "finally delinquent" in taxes or child support or words to that effect.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Fingerprints are sent to the FBI for a criminal check.....

digitalpoodle

Post by digitalpoodle »

I dont understand why they do not allow those of us who hold top secret clearances for DoD purposes speed through this process. Its mind boggling.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

digitalpoodle wrote:I dont understand why they do not allow those of us who hold top secret clearances for DoD purposes speed through this process. Its mind boggling.
Because you can get a TS clearance even if you have been convicted of a felony, but you wouldn't be able to get a CHL or buy a gun.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ChiTownPicaro

Post by ChiTownPicaro »

Wouldn't it be just local, state, and Federal records. I can't think of any other records they could check.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”