CHL Shotgun question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pmcdn
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Shotgun question

Post by pmcdn »

Curious: I'm a CHL. If I kept a shotgun in my trunk (and carry my handgun as usual), am I breaking the law? Would the average cop frown upon that? I don't have any real reason for this, but I was just wondering.

Thoughts?

Wodathunkit

Re: CHL Shotgun question

Post by Wodathunkit »

There are no laws against this. :tiphat:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

No, you are not breaking the law......
But......

There is a very good chance that your vehicle will be broken into and your shotgun will be stolen. Fairly soon........I would guess it would not last very long in your vehicle.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

AEA wrote:No, you are not breaking the law......
But......

There is a very good chance that your vehicle will be broken into and your shotgun will be stolen. Fairly soon........I would guess it would not last very long in your vehicle.
Is car break in THAT frequent of a problem there?

I have owned cars for almost 50 years, most of that time several cars. I think we have had only 1 break in that I recall. Of course, a good part of that time was in the good old days when people weren't as crazy for the most part, or maybe that there weren't as many crazies.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

It depends, What type of shotgun do you have, What kind of car do you have and where do you live? ;-)

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

JALLEN wrote:
But......

I have owned cars for almost 50 years, most of that time several cars. I think we have had only 1 break in that I recall. Of course, a good part of that time was in the good old days when people weren't as crazy for the most part, or maybe that there weren't as many crazies.
The old days of having a shotgun (or rifle) in the rack of you pickup are long gone. Any shotgun that is visible will be stolen and you would probably have to pay to get your broken window replaced as well.

Only way I would even consider carrying a shotgun in my car/truck would be vertically mounted into a locking holder mounted on the dash like LEO vehicles. Even then, you would still probably be paying for broken windows by thieves who want it and are stupid and unaware of the security holder.

Now that being said, there is a option I often thought of and that is to put one in a nylon or leather sheath, strapped to the inside of your trunk lid. Not visible but readily available when needed. Access works best if you have a remote control button to open your trunk.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Can a CHL holder have a long gun in their vehicle if parked on school property?
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

shootthesheet wrote:Can a CHL holder have a long gun in their vehicle if parked on school property?
Yes.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

AEA wrote:
The old days of having a shotgun (or rifle) in the rack of you pickup are long gone. Any shotgun that is visible will be stolen and you would probably have to pay to get your broken window replaced as well.

Only way I would even consider carrying a shotgun in my car/truck would be vertically mounted into a locking holder mounted on the dash like LEO vehicles. Even then, you would still probably be paying for broken windows by thieves who want it and are stupid and unaware of the security holder.

Now that being said, there is a option I often thought of and that is to put one in a nylon or leather sheath, strapped to the inside of your trunk lid. Not visible but readily available when needed. Access works best if you have a remote control button to open your trunk.
The OP contemplates keeping it in the trunk which is the only way it would make any sense, certainly at least in urban areas. I have been planning on figuring a way to keep a truck gun, my Winchester 94 Trapper for example, in whatever vehicle I end up with after moving to the rural hill country.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

JALLEN wrote:
But......

Cars get broken into everywhere. I know Austin is having a rash of car burgs.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

JALLEN wrote:
AEA wrote:

The OP contemplates keeping it in the trunk which is the only way it would make any sense, certainly at least in urban areas. I have been planning on figuring a way to keep a truck gun, my Winchester 94 Trapper for example, in whatever vehicle I end up with after moving to the rural hill country.
One of these days I am going to invest in the safe type systems that go in the back of my suburban. They are pretty secure, but costly.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

shootthesheet wrote:Can a CHL holder have a long gun in their vehicle if parked on school property?

CHL has nothing to do with it.

Anyone legal to own a long gun can. It must be unloaded and in a locked container or in a locked gun rack. It is covered in the GFZA.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

AEA wrote:There is a very good chance that your vehicle will be broken into and your shotgun will be stolen. Fairly soon........I would guess it would not last very long in your vehicle.
Are car burglars using gun sniffing dogs to pick their targets now? :headscratch
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

I used to keep a gun in my vehicle but once I put the NRA stickers on the window the gun came out of it. If somebody was looking to break into a vehicle I figured they would target mine. Shotgun in the trunk is legal.

Brettster

Post by Brettster »

Shotgun loaded sitting visible next to you in the front seat is legal. :txflag:
Sig carry 1911 Rock Island 2011 Tac.
Mailed 2-21-12
plastic 4-24-12

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”