how would you draw your gun with a dog?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
liberty2014
Posts in topic: 1

how would you draw your gun with a dog?

Post by liberty2014 »

I have been doing some thinking and was wondering how you would or if you even should draw your gun while walking the dog. I have a pit bull and a german shepherd so the chances of me having to draw while i have either of them at the end of a leash are slim to none but it could happen. Say a guy with a knife tries to rob me and i see him getting closer should i let my dogs take care of it and risk them getting hurt or should i just draw and fire? If i let my dog take care of the threat and see my dog getting stabbed or shot should i shoot or run? If everything works out and my dogs take care of the threat without me pulling my gun or pepper spray and the bad guy has to get stitches caused by a dog bite would i get sued? Can my dogs be seen as a deadly weapon and cause me jail time because i let my dog attack the bad guy instead of shooting him? Should i take my dogs to the range to get used to the sound of a gun going off? Am i asking too many questions? Any and all input is appreciated.

Ericstac

Re: how would you draw your gun with a dog?

Post by Ericstac »

Wow talk about a lot of questions on one scenario lol..

I have a Weimaraner so unless I shoot the bad guy out of the sky Jake isn't going after him and if he did it would be a soft grip because he is trained to not bit down on the bird hard.. ;-)

Are your dogs trained to stop a threat on command?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Having trained dogs for protection for many years, unless your dogs are trained to protect they probably will not take care of much of anything. There are always exceptions and many of our best friends really step up to the plate in times of need. The person willing to come after you while walking those two dogs is either not concerned about them, will just stab them, or is high enough to not know any better.

Just my own personal advice, if you find yourself being attacked, dogs or no dogs, :fire :fire :fire

I do not rely on my own dogs for my defense. They are the second line of defense after the locked doors and I am they're back up. When out walking some people will avoid us, but others that have asked to pet them have and are not afraid of them. My dogs are social, but like myself have a secret. My dogs are trained in protection and I have a CHL, neither of which anyone in my neighborhood has any knowledge of.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

C-dub wrote:Having trained dogs for protection for many years, unless your dogs are trained to protect they probably will not take care of much of anything. There are always exceptions and many of our best friends really step up to the plate in times of need. The person willing to come after you while walking those two dogs is either not concerned about them, will just stab them, or is high enough to not know any better.

Just my own personal advice, if you find yourself being attacked, dogs or no dogs, :fire :fire :fire

I do not rely on my own dogs for my defense. They are the second line of defense after the locked doors and I am they're back up. When out walking some people will avoid us, but others that have asked to pet them have and are not afraid of them. My dogs are social, but like myself have a secret. My dogs are trained in protection and I have a CHL, neither of which anyone in my neighborhood has any knowledge of.
I am raising a 10-weeks old GS. I would like to get her trained for obedience AND defense. Any referrals is highly appreciated.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ToadPS

Post by ToadPS »

If a would-be robber keeps coming at a guy that has a pit bull and a german shepherd on lead then that perp must be crazy.

To paraphrase an old adage, never bring a dog to a knife fight and never bring a knife to a gun fight.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Didn't the governor already answer this question? :biggrinjester:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Julie

Post by Julie »

One of our neighbors murdered my German Shepherd last year. Would LOVE to have another GSD, this time trained in protection, but with three small children and a coward for a neighbor, it's probably not the right thing to do.

I sure miss my sweet GSD, and if we were in danger, I wouldn't put her life in danger if I could save us both. Someone willing to go up against a GSD or pit bull is only going to be slowed getting to you unless your dogs can reliably take care of that person first.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

If I need a gun I'm dropping everything but the baby to fight the threat. This is a learned skill though, there have been OIS where the officer kept holding his ticket book and fired one handed. We humans don't drop things well.

I have worked out my baby toting around gun access but its tricky.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I would use my hands my dog can't shoot. :evil2: "rlol" :evil2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Like this:
gunwithdog.png
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

fickman

Post by fickman »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Like this:
gunwithdog.png
"rlol"
Native Texian

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Although not trained for protection, but trained for obedience, my dogs (85lb pit, 95 lb Golden and 2 small mixed breeds 20lbs ea) have protected us to the point of scaring away someone that I feel had intent. He had crossed the street to our side while we were walking. The dogs sensed something was wrong and as he got closer he put his hand in his pocket. The dogs went nuts trying to get him when he did this. They are normally pretty docile around people but not this guy. Anyway, when they did that I put my hand in my pocket where my pistol was and he went back across the street. The dogs kept an eye on him as did I, all the way down the block.

With that said, had he pulled a weapon of some sort, I would have released the leashes and pulled my weapon. Not sure which would have gotten to him first, one of the dogs or a bullet, but I dont think he could have gotten both dogs.

By the way, on the next block 2 small kids came over to "pet the puppies" and they got big wet kisses from all of the dogs :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

gunwithdog.png
You forgot the "pew pew pew". :cool:
Psalm 91:2

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

gunwithdog.png
Currently winning this thread
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Some good questions. The biggest threat I see you facing with 2 big dogs would be another dog attacking your dog as most criminals are smart enough to not mess with dogs, let alone a person walking 2 big ones.

Unless your dog has been protection tested, trained and had an actual deployment on a person away from training you will not truly know if they will protect you. Sure they may bark, look scary, but they may not do much more. I have gone yard to yard searching for criminals with a k9 having residents tell me there is no way the bad guy in their yard because they have pits, GS. After they put their dogs in, I would search the yard and bingo find said BG. The last yard like that had 2 GS. Owner laughed and said he needed to go buy some new dogs.

We also practiced quite a bit while shooting and deploying our weapons while having a dog on the leash. This is something that must be practiced as an excited dog wanting to get somebody is going to be yanking you about. Also you won't know what the dog will do until you actually fire the weapon. I have seen k9's stand there ready, pull back and step behind you or the worst case I saw was the k9 actually tried to bite the officers gun hand while he was firing the weapon.

As far as liability IMO you always have that with a dog or firearm. Sure there may be some protection in the law, but always think wisely before using any force.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”