travel advise needed

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

travel advise needed

Post by thetexan »

I will be traveling from texas eastward thru LA, MS, AL, GA then SC, NC and VA. Then back thru TN, AR and back.

I will of course study all of the individual state laws to be very familiar but does anyone have any advise or warnings involving any of those states that jump out and come to mind. I will want to carry in the car and concealed and into the hotels.

Im looking for the non obviou s as well as the obvious. Again, stuff that might not be apparent from reading the laws.

thanks,
tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

RoyGBiv

Re: travel advise needed

Post by RoyGBiv »

Restaurants that serve alcohol.

No guns signs.

Rules check at every state line.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Part of the discussion centers around how long you will be in each State. For the most part, I submit that no person can remember all of the differences in as many States as you are visiting even if you study those differences at every State Line change. We drove 950 miles in one day, traveling through PA, MD, WVA, VA, and TN. Putting aside the extraordinary steps that are necessary for the 12 mile stretch of MD on I-81, just trying to remember the important stuff from the others is staggering.

So here are a couple of questions to ask yourself:

1. How likely is it that I will need to know the unique no-carry places in a State? Since we were driving on Interstates and had no plans to go to sit-down type restaurants, I spent very little time studying those. Perhaps you will be out and about in one or two of those States and those deserve more attention. If I had been faced with a breakdown or other situation that required a delay and increased this exposure in a specific place, I had paper versions of the handguns.us web information with me.

2. What is the most likely situation that I could face? I'll submit that it is a traffic stop. Knowing whether or not, like Texas, you must disclose your concealed carry is an important thing. I made myself a cheat sheet with all of the States on it and had a column for officer notification. There are some situations, like no hollow point ammo in NJ or places that ban larger capacity mags that you may need to deal with in advance of the trip but I didn't see any of those on your list. Those could come out quickly in a traffic stop situation during disclosure.

3. Do I understand any unique situations among the States that I'm visiting regarding the use of deadly force? I do agree that if a situation quickly develops, you will do what you need to do but it might be a good idea to understand specifically any State which requires retreat first. You can be prosecuted for carrying in the wrong location but the penalties are much more severe for the improper use of deadly force.

We have an RV and travel in many different States. We have a pending trip through OK, KS, SD, & WY. I will have a cheat sheet with all of the highlights from the handgun.us for those States as well as the more detailed descriptions in a travel bag right beside my driver's seat. I need some place for things like my tactical flashlight and simply keep my CHL reference info in it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

bkj

Post by bkj »

Bring a lock box and the purchase recites for your gun
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

What are recites?

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

receipts
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

Dadtodabone wrote:receipts
Yea, that's kinda interesting... Buying from private parties with no receipts. Some states (like Michigan) do or at one time required registration.

Ever been hassled for registration/receipts?

Lupine

Post by Lupine »

Since the holiday is approaching...in Alabama it is illegal to carry at public demonstrations ( I.e. parades), places that serve alcohol, and TVA land.
Lupine
Taurus 709
Colt 1911
2/13/12 - Plastic in hand
29 days from class til plastic

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

cb1000rider wrote:What are recites?
[youtube][/youtube]
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”