Texas September renewal with valid Utah license

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 3

Texas September renewal with valid Utah license

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I posted this in another topic, but wanted to post a new one so not to hijack the OP's topic.

My Texas renewal is due by mid-September and I also have a current Utah carry permit.

Could I just wait until September 1 to complete the renewal since it would be completed before expiration and not have to take a renewal class?

If so, since I have an active Utah carry permit, would I be allowed to carry until I received my renewed Texas CHL?
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Texas September renewal with valid Utah license

Post by Jumping Frog »

Yes to all your questions.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

If I were the OP, I'd do exactly that....
Wait until September to renew and carry on UT permit if necessary.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Lumberjack98 wrote:I posted this in another topic, but wanted to post a new one so not to hijack the OP's topic.

My Texas renewal is due by mid-September and I also have a current Utah carry permit.

Could I just wait until September 1 to complete the renewal since it would be completed before expiration and not have to take a renewal class?

If so, since I have an active Utah carry permit, would I be allowed to carry until I received my renewed Texas CHL?
The new law allows you to continue carrying even if your CHL has expired ( after Sept 1st)
HB48 (Flynn, R, A+): Relating to the procedure under which a person may renew a license to carry a concealed handgun.
Impact: 1) Removes the requirement to take a renewal course to renew a CHL; 2) Allows a person to continue to carry a handgun in Texas on an expired CHL, if a) they timely filed the required renewal documents; b) paid the renewal fee; and c) have not been notified by DPS that the renewal application was denied.
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... tus-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mel »

JJVP wrote:
The new law allows you to continue carrying even if your CHL has expired ( after Sept 1st)
HB48 (Flynn, R, A+): Relating to the procedure under which a person may renew a license to carry a concealed handgun.
Impact: 1) Removes the requirement to take a renewal course to renew a CHL; 2) Allows a person to continue to carry a handgun in Texas on an expired CHL, if a) they timely filed the required renewal documents; b) paid the renewal fee; and c) have not been notified by DPS that the renewal application was denied.
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... tus-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's my understanding that part was removed before the bill was signed into law.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Mel wrote:
JJVP wrote:
It's my understanding that part was removed before the bill was signed into law.
I re-read the enrolled version of HB48 before my post above... I did not find that language in the enrolled version.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00048F.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Mel wrote:
JJVP wrote:
I re-read the enrolled version of HB48 before my post above... I did not find that language in the enrolled version.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00048F.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stand corrected. Looked at the original bill and the language was there, but not in the enrolled version.

:tiphat:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

That language for carrying past expiration was removed because an unintended consequence would have been Texas CHL's having to go through NICS checks again. The exemption does not apply if the license period is longer than 5 years.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Jumping Frog wrote:That language for carrying past expiration was removed because an unintended consequence would have been Texas CHL's having to go through NICS checks again. The exemption does not apply if the license period is longer than 5 years.
I thought they were valid no more than 5 years from the date of issuance, regardless of expiration date.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for all the responses!

:tiphat:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Don't forget the bit about the out of state CHL having to observe the 1,000' distance from schools a Federal requirement waived for CHLs issued in that jurisdiction but not of out of state CHLs.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

JALLEN wrote:Don't forget the bit about the out of state CHL having to observe the 1,000' distance from schools a Federal requirement waived for CHLs issued in that jurisdiction but not of out of state CHLs.
Personally, I'd forget about it. One is literally more likely to be struck by lightning or eaten by a shark.

EdWeird

Post by EdWeird »

Lumberjack98 wrote: ...
Utah CFP laws changed a couple years so ago. In order for your Utah non-resident permit to be valid, your Texas CHL must be valid. If I understand it right, that means if one expires, they both expire.
Utah 53-5-704. wrote: (4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and...

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

EdWeird wrote:
Utah CFP laws changed a couple years so ago. In order for your Utah non-resident permit to be valid, your Texas CHL must be valid. If I understand it right, that means if one expires, they both expire.
Utah 53-5-704. wrote: (4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and...
I did provide them with my Texas CHL which shows expiration in September of this year and they renewed my Utah CFP through 2018.

I thought the requirement was that you had to have a valid home state license at the time of application.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

EdWeird wrote:

The section of the code you quoted is titled: 53-5-704. Bureau duties -- Permit to carry concealed firearm -- Certification for concealed firearms instructor -- Requirements for issuance -- Violation -- Denial, suspension, or revocation -- Appeal procedure.

It deals with "the bureau's" duties when to & not to issue a license. It does not speak of validity after it's issued.

Note: I didn't do any more research than what you see here.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”