Thoughts on in home service

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 5

Post by NcongruNt »

llwatson wrote:You know, you are just digging yourself a deeper hole here...

Ok, so you didn't mean to offend the half dozen or so PC techs that read the forum. What you really meant was the 1000 or so PC USERS that read the forum!
I'm not sure what you're trying to get me to say here, but it seems apparent to me that you're looking to take offense at my words no matter what I say or how I clarify my statements.

I'm not going to waste any more time on this discussion.

Jacob Staff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jacob Staff »

Ok, so you didn't mean to offend the half dozen or so PC techs that read the forum. What you really meant was the 1000 or so PC USERS that read the forum!
This is why I love internet forums :grin:

You never can tell when someone is really offended or just poking you with a stick :razz:

I used to try to talk my way out these types of misunderstandings. Then I got married and realized you can never win. :shock:

Back to the original topic. I vote for pocket carry or http://www.smartcarry.com

and for the 2nd topic,

Right2Carry, you need a 30.06 sign on your house just like business owners that share your ideas of a right to carry except around me :shock:
TXDPSA TSRA NRA

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Right2Carry »

Jacob Staff wrote:

This is why I love internet forums :grin:

You never can tell when someone is really offended or just poking you with a stick :razz:

I used to try to talk my way out these types of misunderstandings. Then I got married and realized you can never win. :shock:

Back to the original topic. I vote for pocket carry or http://www.smartcarry.com

and for the 2nd topic,

Right2Carry, you need a 30.06 sign on your house just like business owners that share your ideas of a right to carry except around me :shock:
Actually since it is my home which is not open to the public, I can and will choose who enters my house armed and who doesn't. Family and friends who carry are more than welcome, people I do not know shall be forbidden. I don't care if you like it or not, the fact is I control my home. If I had a business I would welcome CHL carriers, but in my HOME I will Choose who enters armed. I don't need to post a sign I will inform you of my right to have the only firearm in the house if and when someone doing repairs shows up at my door.

I am in the works of drafting a written form that will require the repairmans signature stating he is fully aware that he may not enter my house while carrying a gun. I WILL ALWAYS RETAIN THE ADVANTAGE WHILE IN MY HOUSE, WITH STRANGERS PRESENT.

I also have to say that those of you who think company ID's with Photo's prove that the person is who he says he is, well I got news for you, those can be faked pretty easily with todays scanners and software.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
Frost
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Frost »

Right2Carry wrote:I am in the works of drafting a written form that will require the repairmans signature stating he is fully aware that he may not enter my house while carrying a gun. I WILL ALWAYS RETAIN THE ADVANTAGE WHILE IN MY HOUSE, WITH STRANGERS PRESENT.
This will probably result in in them walking away from your service call. I know i would even if i was not carrying.
Right2Carry wrote:I also have to say that those of you who think company ID's with Photo's prove that the person is who he says he is, well I got news for you, those can be faked pretty easily with todays scanners and software.
I have never been asked for id or challanged in any way. Amazingly many people even prompt me with my name or the reason why i am there. I do service in a very nice area as well. Its amazing how ignorant the vast majority of people are on even the most basic security.

Once I accidently went to the wrong address and the woman that was there alone invited me inside while she called her husband to see if he had requested a repair man.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Frost wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:I am in the works of drafting a written form that will require the repairmans signature stating he is fully aware that he may not enter my house while carrying a gun. I WILL ALWAYS RETAIN THE ADVANTAGE WHILE IN MY HOUSE, WITH STRANGERS PRESENT.
This will probably result in in them walking away from your service call. I know i would even if i was not carrying.
Same here. I won't go into a Taco Cabana because of political reasoning. I wouldn't go into a strangers home unarmed because I would fear for my life. I also wouldn't let a fellow employee take my place even if they don't have a CHL. even if I wouldn't stop a fellow employee from going into a TC.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Right2Carry wrote:
Jacob Staff wrote:Right2Carry, you need a 30.06 sign on your house just like business owners that share your ideas of a right to carry except around me :shock:
Actually since it is my home which is not open to the public, I can and will choose who enters my house armed and who doesn't... I am in the works of drafting a written form that will require the repairmans signature stating he is fully aware that he may not enter my house while carrying a gun.
Not to flame any fires here, but Jacob Staff is entirely correct. Take another look at PC 30.06; there is no distinction between a business, a residence, a farm, you name it...only "property of another." Oral notification is fine, but you don't need to work at drafting a written communication; for that to be legal it has to contain the identical language shown in PC 30.06(3).
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Skiprr wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
Jacob Staff wrote:Right2Carry, you need a 30.06 sign on your house just like business owners that share your ideas of a right to carry except around me :shock:
Actually since it is my home which is not open to the public, I can and will choose who enters my house armed and who doesn't... I am in the works of drafting a written form that will require the repairmans signature stating he is fully aware that he may not enter my house while carrying a gun.
Not to flame any fires here, but Jacob Staff is entirely correct. Take another look at PC 30.06; there is no distinction between a business, a residence, a farm, you name it...only "property of another." Oral notification is fine, but you don't need to work at drafting a written communication; for that to be legal it has to contain the identical language shown in PC 30.06(3).
I understand that, but a verbal notification can be challenged as my word VS thiers, where a written notice with a signature is much harder to dispute.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Jacob Staff

Post by Jacob Staff »

Right2Carry wrote:I understand that, but a verbal notification can be challenged as my word VS thiers, where a written notice with a signature is much harder to dispute.

I think a verbal or written signed notice will stop all CHL holders from carrying in you house but will stop very few criminals that were planning on entering.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the benefits of telling someone to disarm before coming into my home. I see it as only stopping someone who would not be a problem anyway.

Your house, your rules, now that we can agree on.
TXDPSA TSRA NRA

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

You gonna pat them down too? Those interested in doing harm to you will pay no attention to your little signed form. These people are called CRIMINALS as they disregard the law. :roll:

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

TxFire wrote:You gonna pat them down too? Those interested in doing harm to you will pay no attention to your little signed form. These people are called CRIMINALS as they disregard the law. :roll:
Exactly. It's no different than a 30.06 sign at the mall: keeps out the law abiding, while doing nothing to stop criminals.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

KBCraig wrote:
TxFire wrote:You gonna pat them down too? Those interested in doing harm to you will pay no attention to your little signed form. These people are called CRIMINALS as they disregard the law. :roll:
Exactly. It's no different than a 30.06 sign at the mall: keeps out the law abiding, while doing nothing to stop criminals.
LOL. It's really a shame that you can't distinguish between a public business and a private residence or your argument might actually have merit.

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

Right2Carry wrote:It's really a shame that you can't distinguish between a public business and a private residence or your argument might actually have merit.
Uh...Texas law as to what constitutes effective notice does not make any distinction between private residence or public business.

govnor

Post by govnor »

I own a service business and I personally do not carry into people's homes or yards. I leave my gun in my truck. That is, unless I know the person doesn't care (I do have close relationships with some of my customers) or if it's a bad neighborhood. That's usually vacant homes anyway, which I do carry into. I still would never carry a gun into a customer's home without them knowing. Most of my work is in the backyard anyway and if it's in the 'hood, I might carry it with me...deeply concealed.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Right2Carry wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
LOL. It's really a shame that you can't distinguish between a public business and a private residence or your argument might actually have merit.
It's a shame that you can't distinguish that your plan has exactly the same effect, whether in a private residence or a public business: keeping out the law abiding, while doing nothing to deter criminals.

If you could overcome that, your argument might have merit. You can't, and it doesn't.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

KBCraig wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
It's a shame that you can't distinguish that your plan has exactly the same effect, whether in a private residence or a public business: keeping out the law abiding, while doing nothing to deter criminals.

If you could overcome that, your argument might have merit. You can't, and it doesn't.
The differance is I don't allow criminals in my house, maybe you do, but I don't. It is not a business and that makes all the differance. Personally I know that the law does not distinguish between business and a private home. The fact is I can choose who I allow into my home and who I don't allow, that is my right and neither you or anyone else can take that right away from me. A business owner may not discriminate, but a homeowner can discriminate who he or she allows in thier house without any repurcussions.

If they want to leave it in the truck, hey that is fine by me. I don't even care if the telephone, mail carriers, meter readers or whatever carry as long as they don't enter my house with thier weapon.

YOU may feel comfortable letting a complete stranger in your house with your love ones without knowing how the weapon is secured, what kind of training the individual has, or even if the gun is secured. You don't know what kind of shape the weapon is in. Hell he may be bending over, doing a lot of moving around and the weapon may not be held in check by anything more than his underwear. It falls out goes kaboom and a loved one is dead. IF you think EVERY CHL holder is a responsible individual with common sense, then I got some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona.

Again I ask show me data that says repairman or service reps are at high risk being attacked performing repairs or service calls at a homeowners residence. To and from the homeowners house, yes they need to carry. Once getting to my house they need to leave it in the vehicle. It's just my opinion and I don't expect people to agree with it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”