Is the Social Security office 30.06?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
N2rock
Posts in topic: 2

Is the Social Security office 30.06?

Post by N2rock »

My daughter lost her SS card, so we need to go to the SS office to file for a replacement card. The nearest office is in a "not so good" area, so I would definitely feel better with my EDC. And would really hate to have to leave my it in the car for fear of it getting stolen.

And yes, I have my CHL

The office is the one in Houston on Stancliff (if that matters).

Anyone know?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is the Social Security office 30.06?

Post by Keith B »

A Social Security office is a federal building and would be off-limits for carry period.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
N2rock
Posts in topic: 2

Post by N2rock »

thanks.

Guess I'll be putting the lock-box in my car to use that day and hoping for the best :???:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

You can always do it by mail....
Not sure that solves anything except the wait time at the PO is probably less.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/3 ... urity-card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

N2rock wrote:thanks.

Guess I'll be putting the lock-box in my car to use that day and hoping for the best :???:

Cant even have it in your car in the parking lot if its a SS/Gov parking lot. The federal law references property not premisis

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

JP171 wrote:
N2rock wrote:thanks.

Cant even have it in your car in the parking lot if its a SS/Gov parking lot. The federal law references property not premisis
No it actually references "facility".
18 USC Sec. 930
Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS
STATUTE
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a
firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts
to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term ''Federal facility'' means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government,
where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
and they are supposed to post notice in order to enforce this
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to
each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to
each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with
respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice
of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:A Social Security office is a federal building and would be off-limits for carry period.
Plus they "enforce" supposed laws against such things as multi tools and if you should chance the walk in with one on your belt, knowing it is not against any federal law, they will also punish you by sending you to the end of the line.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

jimlongley wrote:
Keith B wrote:A Social Security office is a federal building and would be off-limits for carry period.
Plus they "enforce" supposed laws against such things as multi tools and if you should chance the walk in with one on your belt, knowing it is not against any federal law, they will also punish you by sending you to the end of the line.

The one in Fort Worth would not let me in due to a pocket knife (3-blade less than 3"). When the guard asked where I had parked, and since it was raining, he was kind enough to hold it at the guard station rather than make me return it to my car.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Federal and posted with no gun signs...................... they have armed security here in Austin as well.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I am shocked! Shocked I tell you! The federal government ignoring the Constitution.How do things like this happen?

Anygnanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

anygunanywhere wrote:I am shocked! Shocked I tell you! The federal government ignoring the Constitution.How do things like this happen?

Anygnanywhere
Easy - "Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN!?!?" :banghead:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

The Stancliff office the OP referred to is also posted with a federal no guns notice and has armed federal law enforcement officers at the entry door.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

Interesting the "kingdom" is afraid of its "subjects". :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”