CHL used to when buying a gun...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
bones281
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 pm

CHL used to when buying a gun...

#1

Post by bones281 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:10 am

I have a question regarding the purchase of a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 18294
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#2

Post by Keith B » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 am

bones281 wrote:I have a question regarding the purchase a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?
Yes. You still have to fill out the 4473 form, but they do not have to call in and do a NICS check on you. All they do is put your CHL number on the form.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

GeekwithaGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am
Location: Hickory Creek

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#3

Post by GeekwithaGun » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:00 am

Keith B wrote:
bones281 wrote:I have a question regarding the purchase a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?
Yes. You still have to fill out the 4473 form, but they do not have to call in and do a NICS check on you. All they do is put your CHL number on the form.
Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
NRA Life Member

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 10351
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#4

Post by jmra » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:15 am

GeekwithaGun wrote:
Keith B wrote:
bones281 wrote:I have a question regarding the purchase a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?
Yes. You still have to fill out the 4473 form, but they do not have to call in and do a NICS check on you. All they do is put your CHL number on the form.
Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I always ask the stores policy before purchasing. I have a very common name and share the same name and birth date with a convicted felon who lives in the NE. In the past this has resulted in delays that I refuse to tolerate. If the store wants to call it in after seeing my CHL I simply choose to shop elsewhere.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member


Redneck_Buddha
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1530
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Little Elm, TX

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#5

Post by Redneck_Buddha » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:37 am

My guess is the Bloomberg/Holder/Moms cosa nostra is actively trying to plug this.

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 10351
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#6

Post by jmra » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:46 am

Redneck_Buddha wrote:My guess is the Bloomberg/Holder/Moms cosa nostra is actively trying to plug this.
Nah, bigger fish to fry.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member


poppo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Texas

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#7

Post by poppo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:43 pm

GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member


EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1888
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#8

Post by EEllis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:21 pm

poppo wrote:
GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.

User avatar

suthdj
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: North Ft Worth(Alliance area)

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#9

Post by suthdj » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:52 am

EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 12911
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#10

Post by C-dub » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 am

suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
Since they are supposed to match, I wonder if that's why she called it in.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

User avatar

suthdj
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: North Ft Worth(Alliance area)

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#11

Post by suthdj » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:20 pm

C-dub wrote:
suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
Since they are supposed to match, I wonder if that's why she called it in.
They did match, so either she paid no attention, or lied.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 12911
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#12

Post by C-dub » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:25 pm

suthdj wrote:
C-dub wrote:
suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
Since they are supposed to match, I wonder if that's why she called it in.
They did match, so either she paid no attention, or lied.
Sorry, you didn't clarify that they did match. You only said that she said they didn't.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider


TomsTXCHL
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 am

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#13

Post by TomsTXCHL » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:02 pm

bones281 wrote:I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL
The most likely reason they asked is if you have a CHL they don't have to run the NICS check, so it saves them time and effort.

There may be other reasons but I don't know what those might be. I only know that now that I have a CHL I will always volunteer it to the checker so they don't have to "run me". All they have to do then is keep the form in their file (for 20 years).

I too have a common name and used to give my SSN on the 4473--now of course I never will again.

User avatar

OldCannon
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am
Location: Pflugerville, TX (Between a Rock and a Weird Place)

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#14

Post by OldCannon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:49 pm

TomsTXCHL wrote:
bones281 wrote:I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL
The most likely reason they asked is if you have a CHL they don't have to run the NICS check, so it saves them time and effort.

There may be other reasons but I don't know what those might be. I only know that now that I have a CHL I will always volunteer it to the checker so they don't have to "run me". All they have to do then is keep the form in their file (for 20 years).

I too have a common name and used to give my SSN on the 4473--now of course I never will again.
Some places run a background check regardless of CHL (I think Academy still has this policy, right?)

Your best bet is to find a dealer that not only accepts your CHL, but will give you a transfer discount if you're a CHL holder.

I wonder who does that? :mrgreen: ;-)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.


EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1888
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

#15

Post by EEllis » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:57 pm

OldCannon wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:
bones281 wrote:I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL
The most likely reason they asked is if you have a CHL they don't have to run the NICS check, so it saves them time and effort.

There may be other reasons but I don't know what those might be. I only know that now that I have a CHL I will always volunteer it to the checker so they don't have to "run me". All they have to do then is keep the form in their file (for 20 years).

I too have a common name and used to give my SSN on the 4473--now of course I never will again.
Some places run a background check regardless of CHL (I think Academy still has this policy, right?)

Your best bet is to find a dealer that not only accepts your CHL, but will give you a transfer discount if you're a CHL holder.

I wonder who does that? :mrgreen: ;-)
Academy didn't make the call when I bought a gun last week.

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”