Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rusty Wrenches
Posts in topic: 2

Reliant Stadium

Post by Rusty Wrenches »

Is reliant stadium posted?
glock 19

carry whenever and wherever possible. you never know when you'll need it. its not being paranoid, its being prepared.

BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reliant Stadium

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

Rusty Wrenches wrote:Is reliant stadium posted?
I'm not sure if it's posted but I know for a fact that it's a no-carry zone.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
Rusty Wrenches wrote:Is reliant stadium posted?
I'm not sure if it's posted but I know for a fact that it's a no-carry zone.
carry away it is owned by the City of Houston, Harris County and the Harris County Sports Authority, all of which are governmental agencies and cannot enforce 30:06, remember though if its a pro sporting event you can't carry there by statute.

Topic author
Rusty Wrenches

Post by Rusty Wrenches »

Thanks for the quick replies! It's the circus so no sporting event.
glock 19

carry whenever and wherever possible. you never know when you'll need it. its not being paranoid, its being prepared.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Rusty Wrenches wrote:Thanks for the quick replies! It's the circus so no sporting event.
30.06 is non enforceable but be aware if it is posted and you do carry and get caught you could take a ride to jail. Be the rap but not the ride.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

nightmare69 wrote:
Rusty Wrenches wrote:Thanks for the quick replies! It's the circus so no sporting event.
30.06 is non enforceable but be aware if it is posted and you do carry and get caught you could take a ride to jail. Be the rap but not the ride.
And you can then sue both the officer (personally) who incorrectly arrested you and the city for false arrest. Being arrested would be inexcusable ignorance of the law.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Jumping Frog wrote: And you can then sue both the officer (personally) who incorrectly arrested you and the city for false arrest. Being arrested would be inexcusable ignorance of the law.
You make it sound like a net positive.. There are *so* many laws that it's hard to sort them out - we talk about them on this forum all the time. How much liability would a LEO have if he missed the detail that 30.06 can't be applied to a city owned building? Can you expect him to know that it's city owned? Some will say yes, some will say "no.

Likely what would happen is that you get arrested - which costs you, you get to pay to retain an attorney, and then (most likely) the DA drops the charges. You'd get to try to expunge that arrest or explain it for the rest of your life..

Sue? Sure.. That costs money too. Would you recover it? Maybe. Maybe not. For me, I'm not sure that it would cover the damage that it does to potential employment long term. If you think employers don't pay attention to arrests where you were found not-guilty or charges were dropped, you're wrong.

Charles has a question about potential legislation running on this forum. One way to make this a "non-issue" is to actually create valid enforcement action (illegal or a fine) where municipalities post 30.06 where they are not enforceable. Right now, cities (and lessees) can post 30.06 willy-nilly and you can "ask" for them to be taken down, but there is no real reason why they have to do so.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
And you can then sue both the officer (personally) who incorrectly arrested you and the city for false arrest. Being arrested would be inexcusable ignorance of the law.
My point is that most officers do not know the fine points of TPC 30.06. Even in my CHL class we never talked about government buildings being posted, I learned it here. I was letting OP know that if caught there is a good chance he will take a ride to jail. If he wants to sue that's fine, it's why I have CLEAT. Most academies spend 1-2 weeks on penal code. How knowledgeable do you think we are on the finer points?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Those who want to sue the officer are also missing a very important point. He will receive qualified immunity unless there is already clear law on the point. And, by clear law, I mean that the courts have ruled on the law, its legality, and its meaning. Since we have no case law on this that I am aware of, I feel confident that the officer would receive immunity.

I happen to agree that the written law seems clear, but I can see how a judge would say that it has not been vetted by appellate courts so there is no clear law on the subject.
Steve Rothstein

jmra

Post by jmra »

nightmare69 wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
My point is that most officers do not know the fine points of TPC 30.06. Even in my CHL class we never talked about government buildings being posted, I learned it here. I was letting OP know that if caught there is a good chance he will take a ride to jail. If he wants to sue that's fine, it's why I have CLEAT. Most academies spend 1-2 weeks on penal code. How knowledgeable do you think we are on the finer points?
So ignorance of the law not being an excuse only applies to us citizens...
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jmra wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
So ignorance of the law not being an excuse only applies to us citizens...

Pretty much.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”