Texas State Fair CHL Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Texas State Fair CHL Question

Post by Keith B »

sjfcontrol wrote:Seems to me the fair would be an excellent place to pick up a mild case of ebola. Don't think we're going this year. :fire :cryin
Everything at the fair is fried; frying kills Ebola, but raises cholesterol. The last one worries me more than the first one.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

sjfcontrol wrote:Seems to me the fair would be an excellent place to pick up a mild case of ebola. Don't think we're going this year. :fire :cryin
A mild case? You're funny. :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK, I must have contracted Ebola when I went to the State Fair today. I feel very nauseous. It must be Ebola as I am sure it has nothing to do with the numerous fried items I ate, along with the Fletcher's corny dog. ;-)

As for entering, I told the security person that was wanding I was a CHL and needed to see an officer. She pointed my wife and I both to the officer sitting in the little tower and didn't even search my wife's bag. I showed the officer my CHL, he quickly looked at it in my hand, gave me a thumbs up and said 'Have a great day at the fair!' Easy peasy!!

Crowds were pretty heavy due to the nice weather, but not terrible. Overall had a good time. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Keith B wrote:OK, I must have contracted Ebola when I went to the State Fair today. I feel very nauseous. It must be Ebola as I am sure it has nothing to do with the numerous fried items I ate, along with the Fletcher's corny dog. ;-)

As for entering, I told the security person that was wanding I was a CHL and needed to see an officer. She pointed my wife and I both to the officer sitting in the little tower and didn't even search my wife's bag. I showed the officer my CHL, he quickly looked at it in my hand, gave me a thumbs up and said 'Have a great day at the fair!' Easy peasy!!

Crowds were pretty heavy due to the nice weather, but not terrible. Overall had a good time. :thumbs2:
No, you ate too much. The Ebola won't kick in for a week or two. But by then it'll be too late! R.I.P Keith! :leaving
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Keith B wrote:OK, I must have contracted Ebola when I went to the State Fair today. I feel very nauseous. It must be Ebola as I am sure it has nothing to do with the numerous fried items I ate, along with the Fletcher's corny dog. ;-)

No, you ate too much. The Ebola won't kick in for a week or two. But by then it'll be too late! R.I.P Keith! :leaving
Send flowers to the funeral please. :cryin
Keith

waffenmacht
Posts in topic: 1

Post by waffenmacht »

My two experiences (I will go back for a third on Wednesday)

Sunday Nov 30th, I entered where the Dart rail drops off at about 1400 (although I didn't take the train). I approached the guard with the want and showed my CHL, I was told to enter and see the cop in the top of the watchtower. Normally, at this point, I just walk on in and blow off the whole "cop honor system thing" but I had my 10 yr old daughter with me, and she was interested in the special treatment I was getting, so I decided make a good example and see the cop. I reached up, handed him my CHL, he had a quick glance at it and handed it back. Completely uneventful. I was in.
Saturday October 4th at1600, I entered in the same gate but this time I did take the train. Again my daughter was with me and she wanted to ride the train...so we made the trip from Carrollton all the way down to the fair via the green line. This time the gates were pretty crowded, people were 4 deep and 3 wide at each guard. The guard wanded me, and failed to see my CHL. But that's ok because her wand failed to detect my full size Px4, extra magazine, and knife. I was in.

laketex

Post by laketex »

I'm going Sunday with my 6 year old daughter. I usually wait for the wand to see if they catch it or not. If they do, I just ask to speak with a LEO. It just amazes me that the wand catches it about 50% of the time in my experience. That makes it a lot more unsafe than no security at all.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

Went to the fair on friday with the family. I figured I would test the security, so I didn't say anything to the lady wanding us. The wand went right to my pistol and alerted, but the lady just told me to go ahead in...

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ajwakeboarder »

KRM45 wrote:Went to the fair on friday with the family. I figured I would test the security, so I didn't say anything to the lady wanding us. The wand went right to my pistol and alerted, but the lady just told me to go ahead in...
I went yesterday. I followed my girlfriend. While the lady was searching her purse, she was holding the wand in a way that it was hovering right over my pistol. It beeped several times. When she finally turned to me she just told me to go ahead. This security theater is ridiculous. The cop wasn't in his stand either so I just kept going. I was actually more than a little peeved about the gaps in security. Of course we had to ride the ferris wheel, so I had to stand in that crazy line. I became very conscious of the tactical position we were in. There was nowhere to run or hide if needed. We were pinned in pretty much like cattle. Other than that, the fair was great.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

I didn't carry this year for various reasons but was wanded and had to empty my pocket that had a key chain and nothing else. Gal was very picky.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”