Whole Foods in Lakewood (Dallas)-unenforceable 30.06

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Whole Foods in Lakewood (Dallas)-unenforceable 30.06

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Was very pleased to learn that Central Market is on Coit Rd. in Plano. That will make my separation from Whole Foods so much easier.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by EEllis »

Unenforceable but in this case it is clear that they don't want CHL's inside their store so I just wouldn't give them my money.

jmra

Post by jmra »

EEllis wrote:Unenforceable but in this case it is clear that they don't want CHL's inside their store so I just wouldn't give them my money.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

AlgoaAggie91

Post by AlgoaAggie91 »

EEllis wrote:Unenforceable but in this case it is clear that they don't want CHL's inside their store so I just wouldn't give them my money.

Exactly, vote with your feet (and dollars).

If they put up just a gun busters sign I take that to mean no unlicensed carry and no open carry long guns. If they make an attempt at a 30.06 I interpret that as they don't want me and 'my sort' as a customer and I usually oblige them. If they manage a true 30.06 sign it means they really don't want me as a customer and I always oblige them.
S&W M&P Shield 9

Does anyone know of a trick to help me remember the word 'mnemonic'?

Dad24GreatKids
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

As I understand the law, the gun buster keeps out OC of long guns. Correct? 30.06 isn't valid, but I will still vote with my feet.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Is this just supposed to be one of those wink -n- nod things between a willfully ignorant Whole Foods and CHL holders? I can guarantee to the Blooministas know very well these signs are not compliant.

boomerd35

Post by boomerd35 »

Whole Foods in Houston area have them too with the same small type.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

The one on Louetta in Houston was just recently posted. A friend sent me a picture (after I asked if he'd noticed the posting...). White sign, black letters, English and Spanish. I can't tell if the letters are 1" tall.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

As of this date, we really do not know if there is such a thing as an "unenforceable" 30.06 sign.

I also noticed that one of the doors pictured above have two opposing signs regarding the same issue...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Purplehood wrote:As of this date, we really do not know if there is such a thing as an "unenforceable" 30.06 sign.

I also noticed that one of the doors pictured above have two opposing signs regarding the same issue...
They are not opposing signs. The TABC sign does not authorize licensed carry at the location, it prohibits 'unlicensed' possession of a handgun.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Purplehood wrote:As of this date, we really do not know if there is such a thing as an "unenforceable" 30.06 sign.

We kind of do. If the sign does not meet the specs then the case will either be dropped or thrown out even if you get arrested. Now I'm not talking 1 mm difference in the size of the lettering or arguments on what are contrasting colors but if the letters are only 3/4 of an inch high you will not be convicted.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

EEllis wrote:

We kind of do. If the sign does not meet the specs then the case will either be dropped or thrown out even if you get arrested.
Can you provide the case where this occurred? Our interpretation of the law doesn't make for case law, usually. Thanks.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

chamberc wrote:
EEllis wrote:

We kind of do. If the sign does not meet the specs then the case will either be dropped or thrown out even if you get arrested.
Can you provide the case where this occurred? Our interpretation of the law doesn't make for case law, usually. Thanks.
Provide a case where someone wasn't prosecuted? Really? Look I don't want to be absolutist here because anything can happen but if the law says the letters have to be an inch high and they are not an inch high then you won't be prosecuted under 30.06. Why? Because they would lose rather embarrassingly or, if there was some court with a judge that far gone to allow a conviction, it would be overturned on appeal. The language is pretty clear and while you can argue about what colors are contrasting it's hard to argue that 3/4 of an inch is an inch. A DA would have to be a blithering idiot to charge under such conditions. Heck even most blithering idiots would know better. These are cases where they bully you into taking a plea or drop it at the last min if you refuse. They wouldn't take it to trial so .......

jmra

Post by jmra »

EEllis wrote:
chamberc wrote:
EEllis wrote:

Provide a case where someone wasn't prosecuted? Really? Look I don't want to be absolutist here because anything can happen but if the law says the letters have to be an inch high and they are not an inch high then you won't be prosecuted under 30.06. Why? Because they would lose rather embarrassingly or, if there was some court with a judge that far gone to allow a conviction, it would be overturned on appeal. The language is pretty clear and while you can argue about what colors are contrasting it's hard to argue that 3/4 of an inch is an inch. A DA would have to be a blithering idiot to charge under such conditions. Heck even most blithering idiots would know better. These are cases where they bully you into taking a plea or drop it at the last min if you refuse. They wouldn't take it to trial so .......
Judges and juries always rule by the letter of the law. They never make decisions based on their own interpretation of what they believe to be the intent of the law or what they feel the law should be. (Sarcasm off)
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”