Blatant Printing: would you say something?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Blatant Printing: would you say something?

Post by LSUTiger »

Rrash wrote:I wouldn't say anything. Let an officer take care of that. He might be an off duty LEO.

Why do people keep going back to the off duty LEO baloney?

According to friends at the SLPD, LEO's are not exempt from needing a CHL to conceal carry on or off duty and are subject to following the same laws the rest of us have to follow.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

LSUTiger wrote:
Rrash wrote:I wouldn't say anything. Let an officer take care of that. He might be an off duty LEO.

According to friends at the SLPD, LEO's are not exempt from needing a CHL to conceal carry on or off duty and are subject to following the same laws the rest of us have to follow.
I suspect that it's not an off-duty LEO thinghy so much as it is a MYOB thinghy, eh?
A CHL, IMHO, is not a Batman License. :rules: There, I said it. :smilelol5: "rlol"

mojo84
Posts in topic: 12

Post by mojo84 »

LSUTiger wrote:

I do not believe you are getting good information. Can you provide a link or something more solid than hearsay?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

IIRC, an LEO friend of mine once told me that the only reason he got a CHL was to bypass the background check requirement when buying a gun. He knew he would pass, but either thought it would speed things up or he had issues with the background check due his name or something.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

mojo84 wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:

I do not believe you are getting good information. Can you provide a link or something more solid than hearsay?
You might be correct! See this link http://gunningtx.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/cops-carry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

LSUTiger wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:

You might be correct! See this link http://gunningtx.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/cops-carry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumbs2:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

TX LEOs have no legal requirement to conceal a handgun whether on or off duty. Many have a dept policy that requires concealed carry when off duty.

I will tell you that as long the gun is somewhat covered, it is NBD in the LEO world...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

talltex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by talltex »

gigag04 wrote:I'd make no more comment about someone else's concealed pistol in public than I would about their wife's appearance. I'd recommend staying in your lane.
:thumbs2: "Here endeth the lesson"
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

gljjt
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gljjt »

gigag04 wrote:TX LEOs have no legal requirement to conceal a handgun whether on or off duty. Many have a dept policy that requires concealed carry when off duty.

I will tell you that as long the gun is somewhat covered, it is NBD in the LEO world...
May be but unconcealed w/o a badge visible could result in a MWAG call. Common sense says conceal well or display a badge.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

gljjt wrote:
gigag04 wrote:TX LEOs have no legal requirement to conceal a handgun whether on or off duty. Many have a dept policy that requires concealed carry when off duty.

May be but unconcealed w/o a badge visible could result in a MWAG call. Common sense says conceal well or display a badge.
And blood will run in the streets! This must be stopped...for the children..
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

gigag04 wrote:
gljjt wrote:

And blood will run in the streets! This must be stopped...for the children..

If it only saves one life....

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

LSUTiger wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:

Better way of explaining it that just showing the related Texas laws! Good job for helping clear that up for everybody. :thumbs2:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taypo »

First post here, for what it's worth..

I work retail, had a customer and his wife walk in the front door a few weeks back. He was making an attempt to conceal (had a Tshirt pulled down over the top of a baby Glock) but it was pretty badly done.

Eyes on the guy the whole time, we chatted him up a little bit and it turns out he's local PD. So, rather than bust his chops about printing, he got a ration of good natured mockery for carrying a mouse gun (hold your flames, it's all in fun.) He's been back a couple times, and he's concealing much better now. Message recieved?

Topic author
Motohunter

Post by Motohunter »

Took some pictures yesterday at Starbucks when the gentleman in question came was waiting in line.
Not the best pictures, but...you can decide for yourself whether this is concealed or not...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zFWH ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zFWH ... sp=sharing

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Never seen anywhere that said bulges are illegal. Still would mind my own business even though he's not doing a very good job of hiding that he has something under his shirt.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”