private university police - show them chl?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 2

private university police - show them chl?

Post by Texas_Blaze »

do private university police have access to dps database to discover chl status. Basically, if stopped by private univ police, is chl required to be presented?
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Hindenburg

Re: private university police - show them chl?

Post by Hindenburg »

The law requiring you to display doesn't care if they have access to the database. It cares if they're Peace Officers.

Topic author
Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Hindenburg wrote:The law requiring you to display doesn't care if they have access to the database. It cares if they're Peace Officers.
That was helpful :roll:

So you don't know, like me, if private university police are state sworn peace officers that can enforce all state, local, laws etc.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

I'd say yes. University Police are commissioned Texas Peace Officers.
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is
carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or
a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license
holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification
certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Hindenburg

Post by Hindenburg »

Texas_Blaze wrote:
Hindenburg wrote:The law requiring you to display doesn't care if they have access to the database. It cares if they're Peace Officers.

So you don't know, like me, if private university police are state sworn peace officers that can enforce all state, local, laws etc.
It depends. Some private universities like Rice have real Peace Officers. Some private schools don't.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Hindenburg wrote:
Texas_Blaze wrote:

It depends. Some private universities like Rice have real Peace Officers. Some private schools don't.
TCU, Baylor, SMU, Rice, Hardin, Our Lady of the Lake, Austin College, HBU, University of St. Thomas and the list goes on. I'd venture to say that if a University has a campus police dept. they'll be hiring commissioned officers, just for liability reasons.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

mojo84
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mojo84 »

If it's a police officer and not a security officer, I'd treat him/her the same as if he was a cop from a city, county or state agency and show my chl. I know Dallas Baptist University has a police department with commissioned officers and a separate security department with non-commissioned security officers.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Texas_Blaze wrote:

Yes they are and yes you do.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

CCP CHAPTER 2 If I remember it right.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If Paul Blart demands an I.D., I'll tell him to shove off...

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Abraham wrote:If Paul Blart demands an I.D., I'll tell him to shove off...
As already mentioned, security guards are not police. Security guards are not going to be in cars marked 'Police'. Only 'police' are peace officers and that is who you must show your CHL to when asked for ID and carrying.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

A few years back when I still smoked cigars, a friend and I were in a cigar shop chugging on stogies when in walked a bounty hunter or so he claimed.

He looked at my friend and demanded his I.D. saying he looked like a guy he was hunting.

My friend just stared at him and slowly shook his head NO!

So, at times, unqualified folks will demand I.D.'s

The bounty hunter stared back at my friend, then looked around, as there about 12 of us smoking cigars, he backed off and slunk away out the door.

nyj

Post by nyj »

Texas_Blaze wrote:

That's not what you asked. And yes they are.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Texas A&M campus police are Texas LEO's. I recall being told they had jurisdiction in any county the A&M system owned land. I believe I remember Blinn College had security people who were there to discourge theft and enforce parking restrictions. I don't think you should be pulled over by security personnel at all.

Anyway, I would imagine most major college/universities have Texas LEO's working there not just security. I thought their cars and uniforms should say "security" if that is what they are.

barres

Post by barres »

MechAg94 wrote:Texas A&M campus police are Texas LEO's. I recall being told they had jurisdiction in any county the A&M system owned land. I believe I remember Blinn College had security people who were there to discourge theft and enforce parking restrictions. I don't think you should be pulled over by security personnel at all.

Anyway, I would imagine most major college/universities have Texas LEO's working there not just security. I thought their cars and uniforms should say "security" if that is what they are.
Careful. Blinn college has LEOs at the Brenham campus and Security at the Bryan campus, IIRC. I know the Brenham campus has commissioned LEOs. Look at their patch/insignia. If it says Police/Sheriff, believe it. If it says Security, believe it.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”