Ft Worth Stock Show

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Duckdaddy
Posts in topic: 4

Ft Worth Stock Show

Post by Duckdaddy »

I went last week to see the poultry exhibit.
I didn't carry because I was unsure and couldn't find any last minute info.
I did not attend the rodeo.. Does the stock show fall under School activity's?
Would I have been OK? I didn't see any 30.06 Signs

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ft Worth Stock Show

Post by joe817 »

Stock Show grounds are owned by the city of Forth Worth. So no problem carrying. I've always carried when I went and had no second thoughts about it. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Stay away from the rodeo if carrying; it is a proffesional sporting event. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

fickman

Post by fickman »

Duckdaddy wrote:I went last week to see the poultry exhibit.
I didn't carry because I was unsure and couldn't find any last minute info.
I did not attend the rodeo.. Does the stock show fall under School activity's?
Would I have been OK? I didn't see any 30.06 Signs
This was my first time to visit in years. I remember threads in recent years here about the gun-show style unenforceable 30.06 signs at the entrances, but I walked all around looking for one this year and they weren't to be found. I entered by the main exhibit hall near the cafeteria.

I likewise did not attend the rodeo (professional sporting event), but had a blast watching them action off some bulls.

As far as schools It'd be like a zoo - if you're with a school group, you're at a school event. If you're not, you're not. We were with our homeschool group. . . also known as our family. :)
Native Texian

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

Thank you for that! As a transplanted 'Buckeye' I would have never considered it a 'professional sporting event'. My deepest apologies to all Texas Natives and person understanding the nature of rodeo. MY BAD!
Mike
Keith B wrote:Stay away from the rodeo if carrying; it is a proffesional sporting event. :thumbs2:
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Keith B wrote:Stay away from the rodeo if carrying; it is a proffesional sporting event. :thumbs2:
Is there a legal definition of a sporting event? Is the threshold for professional getting paid? Competitive and getting paid? Maybe it should be something that could remotely be covered by ESPN.. :lol:

I recall a discussion on the board here a while back where there was debate as to whether a jousting competition was a sporting event (like at a renaissance festival) because there is some sort of jousting circuit or something. I recall the belief was it was not a professional sporting event.

Not trying to be argumentative.... Just I'm not aware of a legal definition of a sporting event.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ralewis wrote:
Is there a legal definition of a sporting event? Is the threshold for professional getting paid? Competitive and getting paid? Maybe it should be something that could remotely be covered by ESPN.. :lol:

I recall a discussion on the board here a while back where there was debate as to whether a jousting competition was a sporting event (like at a renaissance festival) because there is some sort of jousting circuit or something. I recall the belief was it was not a professional sporting event.

Not trying to be argumentative.... Just I'm not aware of a legal definition of a sporting event.
PRCA (PROFESSIONAL Rodeo Cowboys Association) and, from the Encylopedia Britanica http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/506563/rodeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rodeo, sport involving a series of contests and exhibitions derived from riding, roping, and related skills developed by cowboys during the era of the range cattle industry in northern Mexico and the western United States (1867–87).
And Dictionary.com has this for the definition of sport
sport
[spawrt, spohrt]
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
So, I would say it is a professional sporting event. Same with NASCAR, Wrestling, etc.

Now, it may not be what the original intent of the statute was for (football, baseball, basketball, etc), but I definitely would not want to be a test case when it's that easy to find those words associated with rodeo from reliable sources.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I spent Sunday and Monday there, mostly in the swine barn but we walked through some other areas. We did not go to the rodeo, and I carried the whole time. I saw 30.06 signs on the little ticket-taker buildings.

Enjoy!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

The cowboys & cowgirls that participate in the rodeo at Will Rogers, pay money just to participate. The sign up with hopes they will win, or to add to their cumulative scores during the year. There's big money involved in winning an event in the final go around. Something like $22,000.00 for calf roping; $17,000.00 for barrel racing, $30,000.00 for bull riding, etc., etc. etc.
(note:those are not exact numbers...just something I've remembered from the past). So there's big money involved in these types of events. So yes, there's no question that this is a professional sporting event by anyone's definition.

And Mike from the buckeye state....no apologies needed! Welcome to TEXAS! :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Duckdaddy

Post by Duckdaddy »

Thanks for the info.. I will feel better about it next year.. I paid cash upon entry, but never saw a 30.06 sign :txflag:

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rex B »

The signage I recall from two years ago was on the South gate of the chain link fence. It was a painted steel sign, white with black letters. It was wired to the gate and left there year round. Is that gone?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

Thanks for the welcome 'joe817' and I have to admit I have been in Texas many years longer than I have had a CHL and only missed not having one by a couple of years from the start. Can't believe I have missed this forum with all the time I spend 'surfing'. This issue of the Rodeo is a case in point about having a place to discuss the topic and have input from a wide range of members. As I signed on to the forum in late December of last year I have to say very quickly I learned this is an interesting forum by the range of topics and input.

While my original comment was made 'tongue in cheek' without benefit of a 'smiley' it does have a serious consequences.

A Thanks to Charles for the creation of this forum and the work he does here and in Austin for all 2nd amendment rights. :patriot:

Mike
joe817 wrote:The cowboys & cowgirls that participate in the rodeo at Will Rogers, pay money just to participate. The sign up with hopes they will win, or to add to their cumulative scores during the year. There's big money involved in winning an event in the final go around. Something like $22,000.00 for calf roping; $17,000.00 for barrel racing, $30,000.00 for bull riding, etc., etc. etc.
(note:those are not exact numbers...just something I've remembered from the past). So there's big money involved in these types of events. So yes, there's no question that this is a professional sporting event by anyone's definition.

And Mike from the buckeye state....no apologies needed! Welcome to TEXAS! :tiphat:
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Rex B wrote:The signage I recall from two years ago was on the South gate of the chain link fence. It was a painted steel sign, white with black letters. It was wired to the gate and left there year round. Is that gone?
I wasn't paying close attention to all of the signs since I already knew the circumstances and was comfortable with my decision to carry. We used entrances on the west side and southwest corner. The signs were like the one you described, and the ones I saw were attached to the sides of ticket booths - I do remember thinking that they could have been placed in a more obvious place.

Topic author
Duckdaddy

Post by Duckdaddy »

so it WAS posted 30.06?

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 1

Post by grim-bob »

Yep. Fully posted and then some.... Posted at the couple of entrances I saw and the parking lots.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”