An interesting interaction with a Game Warden

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cprems
Posts in topic: 1

An interesting interaction with a Game Warden

Post by cprems »

I had an interesting interaction with a Texas Game Warden while fishing today.

He was checking licenses on the bank and we started chatting. I had a question regarding CHL and the COE. Where I was fishing (North Bosque river) is a grey area (IMHO) as to the application of COE rules and regulations and the defined area.

So, I asked him "What are the rules regarding CHL and carrying here?" His answer shocked me! Now I was not carrying at the time due to a possible COE violation.

He stated that the Game Wardens encourage and WANT CHL holders to carry while fishing. He also stated that about 3 years ago, COE has deferred to the State in requirements for gun laws and carrying. He said it was perfectly legal for CHL holders to carry at Lake Waco. Now this source was ONE Game Warden so I really don't know where it stands legally for the lake but I will be carrying tomorrow when I go fishing.

I thought it was an interesting conversation indeed.

What do y'all think?
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

PBR

Re: An interesting interaction with a Game Warden

Post by PBR »

I have wondered the same myself as too carrying on San Jacinto River or Trinity Bay while in a boat, two main places I go fishing. I have wondered but haven't ever found an answer looking around but also haven't asked the question either.

Edited: also what does COE stand for (I'm not too up on all the abbreviations) -- guessing carrying openly
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

LeakyWaders

Post by LeakyWaders »

PBR wrote:Edited: also what does COE stand for (I'm not too up on all the abbreviations) -- guessing carrying openly
COE = Corps of Engineers
Pants Up.......Don't Loot

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I believe you can carry in national parks, as allowed by the state they are in, just not in the buildings. Like the Post Office, they are off limits.

But since the Post Office is a corporation, not a government agency, I don't understand the fuss over the Post Office.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glockster »

I myself have never seen anything that says that the COE follows any state's laws. The only thing that I know of is the below, which is from their still current "Rules and Regulations Governing Public Use of Corps of Engineers Water Resources Development Projects."

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

cprems wrote:What do y'all think?
I think I would be certain to make a record of the Warden's name, badge number, time and location of the conversation and save it in case I ever got into any trouble with the COE regs.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glockster »

RoyGBiv wrote:
cprems wrote:What do y'all think?
I think I would be certain to make a record of the Warden's name, badge number, time and location of the conversation and save it in case I ever got into any trouble with the COE regs.

I'd love to be shown incorrect, but my understanding is that game wardens in a state can enforce those related laws as COE authorizes fishing IAW state fishing laws. But I don't believe that COE has granted any authority to a game warden to enforce any states firearms laws. In short, I don't think that having any game warden information would be of benefit given that LEO would be following 327.13 which prohibits firearms.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

cprems wrote: He also stated that about 3 years ago, COE has deferred to the State in requirements for gun laws and carrying.?

"Where can I find out more about that policy?"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

FMI, for my information, if Game Wardens are not capable of enforcing COE regulations, who does that fall to? This GW seems to think he would be able to enforce them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

cb1000rider wrote:
cprems wrote: He also stated that about 3 years ago, COE has deferred to the State in requirements for gun laws and carrying.?

I don't remember the bill number, but I think BO signed it into law as an amendment tacked onto some credit card thing during his first term.

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.nps.gov/maca/learn/managemen ... etails.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:

I don't remember the bill number, but I think BO signed it into law as an amendment tacked onto some credit card thing during his first term.

http://www.nps.gov/maca/learn/managemen ... etails.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is only for National Park Service parks, not Corps of Engineers lands. Some COE districts may be unofficially following the policy as well, but it is not written into their rules or laws.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:
C-dub wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:

This is only for National Park Service parks, not Corps of Engineers lands. Some COE districts may be unofficially following the policy as well, but it is not written into their rules or laws.
I figured that might have been what that GW was referring to. I remember a narrowly failed attempt to fix this couple years ago. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/08/se ... n-control/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully, they will have a better outcome this time. The biggest problem will still be in getting BO to sign it if it reaches his desk.
http://www.guns.com/2015/02/02/bills-fi ... n-on-guns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”